• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Midwest Fishing!

Just bought a new ultra lite rod/reel combo from Bass Pro Shops for 19.99, Not bad for a 7'6" rod and a reel. I have the 6' version of the same rod and beat the crap out of it. Sale ends on the 15th.

They have any trigger spin reels that will take bigger than a 12lb. test??

They have any trigger spin reels that will take bigger than a 12lb. test??

I dunno, they have a big fishing sale going on, check the site out.

Nuff said.

they're still runnin

0521121951.jpg

Did a lot of fishing when I was a kid. Seemed that's all we seemed to do, hunt, fish. No boat.

Most interesting fish I have caught were a 25 LB Lake Trout, and a 32 lb Chinook Salmon. Last bunch of fish I caught were a mess of Stripped Bass on the Fox up by Ashwaubenon in 1982. 1st one was a sunfish in Solomon Ponds outside Black Earth somewhere's about 1967.

I've never used anything heavier than a cheap reel and 6lb test.

I looooothe Ice Fishing. I can't recall how many time I have asked God to put a fish on the line so I has something to do besides freeze my ice off in the middle of Lake Monona or Mendota.

Been thinking about getting out the reel again and putting on some fresh line. Dunno, just thinking about it. So I may do something about it come next year...maybe.

There are quite a few good movies with fishing as a back theme. I enjoy a good story :)

went bass fishing this morning.... sky was overcast, water was warm, wing was light, surface was smooth, but not quite glassy...

time to break out the top water! lol.

started with poppers. but moved onto a torpedo. once we got into the downwind side of the lake, it was game on. a lot of action, and very aggressive strikes. top water is always so fun. we concluded that the wind was either pushing the bait fish towards the end of the lake. or, more likely, because of how aggressive they were, and how warm the water was, that their fry had been pushed to that end of the lake. nothing big, but i did get one close to 4lbs. caught a keeper pike too. hes all filleted up already. missed a BIG one. smashed my torpedo and broke me off. 20lb test braid... :rolleyes:

also found some pictures of me back in the day.

380473_305832029445597_100000564073705_1160931_463284202_n.jpg

375029_305832679445532_100000564073705_1160934_937287520_n.jpg

Finesse baits like trick worms, flukes, etc. Using them without weight, they seem to stay.in the strike zone a little longer and with a couple twitches come to life and slowley sink again, I've had a lot of luck with them! Use to use a lot of poppers, but with finesse 10x the strikes

i use flukes a lot around docks. anything without a weight is great, because you can skip them really far up and underneath. LOTS of strikes that way. they are also money when the bass have fry. momma comes in for the kill. lol.

though i prefer a bait caster, i use spinning reals for finesse, casts a lot easier. usually use lighter line, and a mono leader. it "hides" in the water better than braid, especially clear water conditions.

Yeah I agree on spinning, the best choice for the no weight bait, I've never used a leader though, casters are great for cranks, spinners, and almost anything else but those light baits can make a mess fast. Bzzzz birdnest!

correction, i prefer a fleurocarbon leader. it has far less stretch characteristics than mono. which makes it better for hook sets and pulling bass out of cover, like braid. but in clear water situations, it is a must. ask anyone who fishes for finickey small mouth how important it is. also, a fleuro leader is good for top water lures like poppers. 1, because it floats on the surface better, where braids sink. and 2, because mono and fleuro have memory, they tend to stay strait, the lure pushes them on top of the water. mono can bunch up and fowl your hooks up really easy.

when you spend $400 on a single rod/reel combo... you can cast anything. ;) i just prefer a lighter line (6-8lb mono) and actioned rod on most situations involving a weightless lure. all of my bait casters are medium action to pull bass out of cover or for heavier cranks and jigs.

Last edited:
Yeah I follow ya now on the leader, I only use med heavy action, my bait casters all have 20# fluro on them agree its memory is ziltch compared to mono, but on my spin I run 6 to 8 if you can't get a bass out its because cover is too thick, otherwise play them like a fiddle till they are wore out, casters set and crank make em come lol

ahhh...gotcha. i use a lot of zoom baits and sluggos, they hang up nicely and look great when you stop them and let them hang. 95% of the time thats when they get hit.

Back