• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical fan CFM?

Finally, an answer... Thanks BarFlyFisherman. Where did you find the information?

I am running the Ford 8c607 series fan as the prime fan. According to Ford, it is a 3800cfm fan at 14VDC. I run it on low to keep air moving across the alternator using the Ford fan dropping resistor. It switches to high speed when the controller calls for fan. I have also rewired the stock fan to come on when either the controller of the A/C calls for fan. Lifted the entire Ford setup, relays and wire and all, fromt the local u-pull-and-pay. Cost about $30 for the lot. My Heep operates between 194F and 201F all day, every day. I am using a 180 T-Stat and a controller on the electric water pump which allows the engine to get to temp. I only run a T-Stat to decrease warm up time. Otherwise, it would not be needed.

So the tripple threat fans do pull 3400. Awesome. Is that for the kit with the fan shrouds or the kit without them?

I ran that kit all last year with only 2 of the fans because I lunched one due to bad engine mounts and it never got hot.

A thread from the dead!

Anyway, i'm running dual 97+ e-fans on my RENIX and they keep up fine. I kill so I can just leave them on if I need toed 3 of the Hayden adjustable fan controllers before I switched to the Hayden "Snap Switch" and dual relays.

The Snap switch comes on around 200 and cuts off around 170. On a average day, 80 degrees, they will cool the engine from 200 down to 170 in a matter of minutes and rarely cut on while driving down the road. I have a LED indicator inside to tell me when they are running and I have a overide switch so I can leave them on full time if needed.

I used my sniper anemometer to measure the MPH of the airflow.
With a little math, converted the radius to area, then to cubic feet per minute.

I also did this to verify the advertised CFM of the Triple Threat electric fans that I installed - they were right on the money at 3400 CFM!

At what RPM and temperature did you test the mechanical fan to get the CFM results? I'm intrigued by your method.

My experience.....
I've been running a 180 t-stat and 2 stock 97+ auxiliary fans for over a year now and never once had an issue with overheating. I have them switched separately and normally run 1 fan constantly while offroading. The 2nd fan kicks on occasionally when needed (217*) or when I turn the AC on (99XJ) It's great in the fall/winter time because the Jeep runs so quiet, the noise does get a little annoying on the trails though. I guess it's that or sounding like a school bus going down the road with the mechanical fan. Just have to pick your poison.

Back