• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical fan CFM?

Stewie, What cooler did you use?

I am a little bit turned off by the 'staked plate' type. I thing the tube and fin type may be better but I have no data to support my assumptions.

i used a fin and tube one from NAPA

i used a fin and tube one from NAPA

Thank you Stewie.

Maybe it is just me who think it is not very effecient when most others says it is better. By-the-way the AW4 do not overheat but it reaches as high as 190* driving in city ruch hour traffic during the summer. On highways, it stays about 160*. Using the non-scientific touch method, both ends of the cooler seem to be the same temperature.

I looked at the self contained cooler before. Could it fit in the cross member under the radiator?

Thanks winterbeater that's the one. For some reason I can't link. When you say tube and fin are more robust are you meaning stronger than thestacked plate type?

Yes. The stacked plate has thin stamped aluminum plates that are oven brazed together. The stampings can be flawed, the plate alignment during braze can be bad, the brazing can have voids and the aluminum can easily corrode. Don't misunderstand, they are more efficient at throwing off heat and are lighter. (And cheaper to make, once the stamping dies are paid for.) All new automotive radiators, condensers, heater cores and evaporators are now made by this newer method. The material is .003" and thinner. The tube and fin has the thicker formed tube containing the liquid, which is much less likely to leak from corrosion or debris from road or trail.

Another quick question is can I get the barbed fittings that come w/the B&M (for splitting the lines into the cooler lines) @ Home Depot or another hardware/plumbing store? You would think any 3/8" fitting would work.

Does anybody know how much CFM the stock mechanical fan pulls at idle(warm/cold)? I'm looking to maybe go another route for my tranny cooler but am wondering if the stock fan clutch will pull more CFM.

TIA guys,

Sean

Just to jump back to your original question, would increasing the CFM of the mechanical fan get you where you want to be?

Asking because the ZJ HD fan clutch provides a tremendous improvement in air flow. NAPA part number 272310 about $62.

Just to jump back to your original question, would increasing the CFM of the mechanical fan get you where you want to be?

Asking because the ZJ HD fan clutch provides a tremendous improvement in air flow. NAPA part number 272310 about $62.

Since the cooling system depends on air flowing over the radiator core, any improvement in air flow have got to be an improvement. The only draw back would be if the ZJ fan clutch load the engine excessively;... but I do not think it will.

I think if you search some other threads on the HD fan clutch changes, some people have changed back to stock because of the fan noise. Not saying don't do it just to research it some before you spend the money/time.

I think if you search some other threads on the HD fan clutch changes, some people have changed back to stock because of the fan noise. Not saying don't do it just to research it some before you spend the money/time.

Definitely an increase in noise, something less than a non-clutch flex-blade fan, but a lot more than stock fan clutch.

Personally the noise doesn't bother me, and IMHO it is the best XJ cooling system upgrade for moderate offroad use or city stop and go driving. Lets face it, the stock XJ cooling system is minimal at best, and more suited to driving along a smoth forest service road on a cool spring day than spending any time in 4lo.

Would the ZJ clutch use more gas on the freeway, or is it pretty much freewheeling with good natural airflow?

Its disengaged (freewheel?) speed is the same as the stock, 20 to 30 percent of shaft speed, so there would be zero effect on mileage.

When engaged it spins at 80 to 90 percent of shaft speed versus 60 to 70 percent for the stock clutch.

Its disengaged (freewheel?) speed is the same as the stock, 20 to 30 percent of shaft speed, so there would be zero effect on mileage.

When engaged it spins at 80 to 90 percent of shaft speed versus 60 to 70 percent for the stock clutch.

That is really good to know. :dunno:

Back