• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maine

I'd like to go. I guess it depends on when you guys go and if I have a job, how they'll be with me taking off. But it's definitely a cool idea, I've always wanted to go to Maine.

Allagash is an awesome area! Been there three times for a 70 mile canoe trip. Never been there to wheel. Its a beautiful area though.
I did that back in 02 - was amazing. The entire area is great.

I'm up for this also, depending on how tough you guys intend on going (I'm mostly stock, will probably have a 2" lift in by then though...). I don't want to limit things so if that'll be an issue I won't go. I have a 5-6 person tent, grilling equipment, etc etc etc that I can bring. Last time we went tentless and no one brought bug spray, just mosquito head nets. I quickly learned that keeping my boots on and getting in my sleeping bag headfirst was an excellent idea.

Thats kinda what I was thinking ...camping / fishing... getting the jeeps out but I dont really think it'd be very wise to thrash out in the middle of nowhere.

Anything within reason... I'm picturing logging trails. so Muds treelimbs small rocks. I'm not planning any cliff hanging.

Thats kinda what I was thinking ...camping / fishing... getting the jeeps out but I dont really think it'd be very wise to thrash out in the middle of nowhere.

Anything within reason... I'm picturing logging trails. so Muds treelimbs small rocks. I'm not planning any cliff hanging.

thats what my one buddy was worried about when I told him I had a good alternative to senior week, he was like what happens when my junk breaks?

we should continue this from nac fest just keep the party going for another week:guitar:

I'm up here in Maine. Some of the people on Maine4x4 do a Labor Day weekend trip up towards Moosehead and travel the roads all weekend. Like 98xjsport said, you can drive forever on dirt roads. The terrains isn't that extreme, but it's a fun time. I'm trying to get the YJ together to do the trip this year, but I will def. make it next year.

As far as trails, there's not much for "legal" trails anymore. Unimproved roads are good to travel, as long as they aren't posted. Pretty soon here, I'm going to grab a gazette and just go explore local unimproved roads and trails in this area (Lewiston/Auburn).

Allwheels in Lewiston is fun. There's terrain from stock to rock rigs. Over 400 acres. There are tenting sites there also. It's 10 bucks a day, but well worth it. Makes for a great weekend. I go there at least 6-8 times a year and would be willing to lead a ride if you guys decide on that.

Couple pics from an area south of Baxter SP. I dont have any Allagash pics on disc, my bud might.

Sorry, i uploaded thumbnail versions.

118.jpg

51.jpg

36.jpg

I'v been wanting to put together an NAC Maine run for some time now, just havent had the opportunity.

Look into the Allagash area, lots of logging roads and campsites in the area. I usually enter from Ashland. You'll pay a fee to enter paper co land.

Lee is pretty close to Millinocket (Golden Rd). That would make a good camp location for a few rigs but i dont think theres alot available for offroad exploring. I also read that there has been a large land purchase around Baxter by a wealthy woman and closed the area to all but foot traffic, totally PO'd the local hunters etc. Your uncle probably knows of this.

I'm contemplating a trip to the Golden Road next summer. This would be a fun trip as my other hobby is photographing off highway logging trucks.

I'll keep my eyes on this trip.

OK, sounds good, consider me in unless something horrible happens.

stuff I'll bring:
* tent + possibly tarp and ropes
* grill and charcoal/lighter fluid/utensils/stuff to grill (hopefully)
* axe/saw/shovel or two
* bug spray, bug spray, bug spray...
* bottled water (I usually pack a lot more than is needed)

I'm 2-meter ham equipped and should be CB equipped by the time this takes place.

I'm contemplating a trip to the Golden Road next summer. This would be a fun trip as my other hobby is photographing off highway logging trucks.

I'll keep my eyes on this trip.

Your in for a treat. Have you seen the Discovery channel logging show? They are based there in Millinocket and run through this area to Daaquam (sp) at the Canadian border.

With a large group of rigs you'd be well advised to steer clear of the active logging and routes, there are the maintained roads, lesser used unimproved and no longer used roads that the Forest is slowly taking back. The latter are my fav to explore, although you wont find any hard or even moderate wheelin. Those looking for challenging trails would no doubt be better spending their time at the offroad park/s up that way.

Most roads you'll find on a Maine Gazatteer, the rest on the paper company and forest service maps.

Your in for a treat. Have you seen the Discovery channel logging show? They are based there in Millinocket and run through this area to Daaquam (sp) at the Canadian border.

Oh yes. I really like the show. They do a good job of showcasing the equipment, especially the trucks. I'd heard about the Golden Road back in 1988 and seen pictures of the rigs. The Mack RD-800's, WS 6900, and C500 KW's are nice. Over on the Quebec side I've seen even larger Western Stars, KW's and even old Pacific's.

This would be a fun trip.

I'll have to keep an eye on this. I love Maine. Lived in Orono for a summer running an outdoor gear shop, then went to school in Unity, ME for a year. Between rock climbing, hiking, search and rescue, etc, I ended up all over the state.

My girlfriend lives just outside of Portland so when time/money permitted I used to be up there all the time. I've been tossing around the idea of getting my Jeep highway safe and taking it up there and hitting one of the parks to check em out while I'm visiting her. Not sure how realistic that is with my rig anymore though... :rolleyes:

I'll have to keep an eye on this. I love Maine. Lived in Orono for a summer running an outdoor gear shop, then went to school in Unity, ME for a year. Between rock climbing, hiking, search and rescue, etc, I ended up all over the state.

My girlfriend lives just outside of Portland so when time/money permitted I used to be up there all the time. I've been tossing around the idea of getting my Jeep highway safe and taking it up there and hitting one of the parks to check em out while I'm visiting her. Not sure how realistic that is with my rig anymore though... :rolleyes:

did you go to unity college? im looking into going there. im visiting them thursday.

With a large group of rigs you'd be well advised to steer clear of the active logging and routes, there are the maintained roads, lesser used unimproved and no longer used roads that the Forest is slowly taking back. The latter are my fav to explore, although you wont find any hard or even moderate wheelin. Those looking for challenging trails would no doubt be better spending their time at the offroad park/s up that way.

Most roads you'll find on a Maine Gazatteer, the rest on the paper company and forest service maps.

Completely agree. The folks that I know that go up there stay clear of the active logging roads. There's no need with all the space up there to take any chance of meeting those guys on the road. I also agree with the trails being stocker friendly. You're not going to find huge rocks and muddy trails up there, for the most part. I'll have to remember to watch this thread. I'm excited!

Weekend trips also help avoid the logging. Good to have a CB on you, too.
Im either going to explore some more off towards Flagstaff this weekend, or cruise over towards NH. Gotta hold off on the narrorw trails until my XJ is worthy.

Flagstaff should be cool - I know there are a few small towns/villages under the edges of the reservoir, so you should be able to find some classic roads at least.

do it early next summer

it could be a great replacement than senior week

and knowing brad there will be just about as much alcohol

:laugh: I would much rather go to Maine than Senior week with the losers from my school :laugh:

Oh and idk if you mentioned this yet brad, but hitting a moose with that sweet bumper you have would be sweet. Cooook him up!

Back