• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knucklehead's blog

got my steering gear box rebuilt & machined for hydro assist at PSC in less than a week.
now i can't get the friggin' lower trackbar bolt out.
looks like i need to cut it out as it seems the bolt has permanently mated with the bushing sleeve & wont come out. the green heep is pissing me off right now...

Sorry to hear the green heap is giving you trouble.

I am throwing in the towel on my rig. I will be taking it to have a front end aligned and if that does not stop the loud clunking that is going on Lisa is going to kill me because I am going to take it to J&B Off-road and have them finish the axel swap. I am in way over my head and I just want it to stop.

I had the same thing happen to my re trackbar. I cut the axle mount off and rebuilt it with a 1/4" bracket from rustys. I feel your pain. It sucks. But it gives you a chance to beef up your mount as well.

got my steering gear box rebuilt & machined for hydro assist at PSC in less than a week.
now i can't get the friggin' lower trackbar bolt out.
looks like i need to cut it out as it seems the bolt has permanently mated with the bushing sleeve & wont come out. the green heep is pissing me off right now...

If I was in CA, I'd be more than happy to drink beer and watch you fix that. See you soon buddy.

If I was in CA, I'd be more than happy to drink beer and watch you fix that. See you soon buddy.

no doubt!
i spend all my free time working on other guys' xj's & my junk falls apart. hasta

I had the same thing happen to my re trackbar. I cut the axle mount off and rebuilt it with a 1/4" bracket from rustys. I feel your pain. It sucks. But it gives you a chance to beef up your mount as well.

i was hoping to not have to go into full fab mode since the new axles are awaiting installation & these are coming out & will be sold.

no doubt!
i spend all my free time working on other guys' xj's & my junk falls apart. hasta

That's the Letterman syndrome, same thing happened with him. Got everyone else ready for trail runs and couldn't get his finished in time without pulling an all nighter.

I am at the I just don't feel like working on my pile of crap for a while, its been over a year since I have even touched it and it is nowhere near trail worthy.

That's the Letterman syndrome, same thing happened with him. Got everyone else ready for trail runs and couldn't get his finished in time without pulling an all nighter.

I am at the I just don't feel like working on my pile of crap for a while, its been over a year since I have even touched it and it is nowhere near trail worthy.

I feel your pain. I have a circle of friends and family that I am constantly working on their rigs and I go one step further and actually buy parts for their rigs, like legit parts like long arms and crap. Its worth it for me though since I like having folks I know with rigs that wont break down and therefore I am not pulling their rigs of trails.

Over a year here too, but I finally have it in a Garage now! (Took me 6 months to get it in!)

The worst part of my last place, just to do a 10 minute job would take over one hour to set up, work on, put everything back and clean up. Could not leave anything out or someone would steal my tools/parts!

Need to focus time to work on our rigs, just need remember how much fun it is for motivation.

I must say, from a fellow tin knocker(local 162) to another, that is one stellar build man.

Well Done Sir!

thanks for the compliments.
btw, i'm not a smw, but i am the president of a union hvac shop.
ps: don't even get me started on union b.s.

just got the god damn trackbar bolt cut out.
the bolt seized inside the metal sleeve inside the rubber bushings.
it was able to spin freely but i could not pull it out.
a cut off wheel would only get part way through before bottoming out.
had to use a sawzall to cut the rest of the way through & it kept bottoming out & bending blades. took 5 blades to make 2 cuts but i won the fight & the track bar is on the bench. now i need to make up a new captive nut & weld another reinforcing washer to the face of the axle housing since the bolt hole was wallowed out from my lack of driving skills.

thanks for the compliments.
btw, i'm not a smw, but i am the president of a union hvac shop.
ps: don't even get me started on union b.s.

It can be difficult at times to deal with, a ton of people I won't hire. I do food grade SS and industrial, Out here HVAC is for the "Neck Downers".

I'm pretty jealous of you variety of tools you have at your home shop, can be a drag driving to work to fab things up.

got the trackbar back into the green heep along with the rebuilt PSC steering gear box.
3 year old optima red is dead, wont hold a charge. time to switch to odyssey i think.
anyway, got it started only to find that the p.s. pump is tits up. time to take it back to oreilly & warranty it out again.
charged up the red p.o.s. since it hasnt been moved since sierrafest last year i think.
washed it & found the rear side glass is broken. great, pretty sure it was the weed wacker operator & not some cool trail action.
tranny wont shift into 3rd or overdrive for some unknown reason. probably an electrical issue, but i suck at electric issues. wont be able to drive it from deer valley to slick rock i don't think.
looks like we have an accepted offer on our house so Diane & i spent all day packing stuff up. it's going to be a huge pita to move all the contents of the fun factory back to my old shop, but it is actually larger & better setup than the current one. only drawback is the sketchy neighborhood it is located in, but at least it is hidden from view from the street.

got the trackbar back into the green heep along with the rebuilt PSC steering gear box.
3 year old optima red is dead, wont hold a charge. time to switch to odyssey i think.
anyway, got it started only to find that the p.s. pump is tits up. time to take it back to oreilly & warranty it out again.
charged up the red p.o.s. since it hasnt been moved since sierrafest last year i think.
washed it & found the rear side glass is broken. great, pretty sure it was the weed wacker operator & not some cool trail action.
tranny wont shift into 3rd or overdrive for some unknown reason. probably an electrical issue, but i suck at electric issues. wont be able to drive it from deer valley to slick rock i don't think.
looks like we have an accepted offer on our house so Diane & i spent all day packing stuff up. it's going to be a huge pita to move all the contents of the fun factory back to my old shop, but it is actually larger & better setup than the current one. only drawback is the sketchy neighborhood it is located in, but at least it is hidden from view from the street.

disconnect and reconnect the tranny harness. you rig might have a fuse in the tranny wiring somewhere. Find that if it does and make sure its not shot . Also, could need to change fluid or change a solenoid.

Hey, your rigs are almost ready to go just a little adjustments and you are ready to go. So which one will you choose to take to SF?

Re: Re: Knucklehead's blog

Sounds like the 3-4 solenoid. Remove pan and 1 bolt holds it on.

Been down this route before. I'm sure you've seen this thread but just for reference, here it is. You can use a multi meter and check the resistance of the solenoid before you dive in.

Last edited:
So i closed escrow on this foreclosure today.
I need to squirt paint inside & replace all carpets & some other light repairs & she will be rent ready in about 2 or 3 weeks.
I'm already looking for the next target to aim for. :rolleyes:
DSCN3737_zpsb4e5ce34.jpg

Back