• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping A Low Center of Gravity.

Not super low, but still good.

3.5 inches on 33.3's.

9bcf8b27.jpg

x1994j and gravesdiggerxj, do you guys hit up trails year round? I see the snow at 5 mile and a moab/ little sahara pic (know the little sahara pic cuz I think i sent my quad 40-50 feet off that same dune by sand mountain)

Anyhow, pm me here and maybe we can hit a trail together, one I like quite a bit is the one up american fork canyon, past tibblefork res... Ive been to the top unlocked but when I get my yoke for SYE and my locked axle swapped in it will be no problem to go about anywhere...

Back on topic, here is my rig, 33x10.50, 3" pro comp, 6" lift shocks, xj on xj bastard pack w/ 2" shackle (great droop setup, spring barely arched over flat), hacked fenders, soon to have either custom tube fenders or the cheaper bushwacker look alikes.

_DSC1365.jpg

plan on doing a mid arm radius arm setup (3 links), pushing the front axle forward 1" and keeping the same lift height, and ditching the +2" shackles for +1" and doing relocation brackets... I also have dreams, of finally cutting the rear fenders to tub them out for 35"+ tires and relocating the rear springs back +2-3" with the same lift... I know its been done with longer leaf packs. I just get nervous when body work comes to mind, I tend to rush things and I feel instead of tack welding the body together 100+ times on each side I'd just run a bead and jack it up.

Last edited:
I have 35"x10.5-15 boggers on a 3" lift. Lots of trimming and extended bumpstops. I will try to post some photos from home. My work computer won't allow photos to be posted. :geek:I enjoy the low center of gravity. I think 37's would be cool; requiring "tubbing" out the rear fenders.

i've got 3in of lift with 35's and i think i measured between 3.5 and 4in of up travel.

granted that's with alot of sheet metal relocation.

once i get it rolling in the day light i'll get some pics posted

i cant even call my lift a low COG, i have about 4" of lift and 31's. BUT ive gone on black diamond trails with no issues. i feel height isnt as important as it is driver ability and thats where a low COG and driving ability succeeds in most cases.

but in the same situation, i dont think my xj as low as it is could make it across the rubicon trail because of how low i am. i think trail requirements require at least 33's body armor and at the very least a locker

You realize that it used to be a bragging right that every Jeep model could clear the Rubicon, right? ;) That ended when the XJ died and was replaced by the KJ I do believe. Now, rigs are "

No I wasnt aware. I thought the trail rated badge was a wrangler thing. And unless you take alot of bypasses I don't see the XJ making it stock, lol I don't see many xj's with lift, lockers, and tires smaller than 33's making it thru the rubicon without breaking shafts and/or at least a little body damage. I really wanna go but my 89 xj with her Dana 35 are telling me no :) as soon as I get a 44 with a locker, 33's and a winch I'll give the rubicon a go

so back on topic here

still no pics as i have no brakes at the moment but it's sitting at about 3in in the front and a bit over 2in in the rear, using the dirty method. and some how it's pretty level.

sitting on 35's. i still have 4.5in of up travel on the shock and 7.5in before the tire will touch the lowest part of the inner fender.

i haven't flexed it out yet to see what actual uptravel will be but i would consider that lcg

My idea of a LCG XJ. 3.5" lift on 37's w/minor trimming and a roof line of 6'2". (Front will be lowered to 3" when I get off my butt and pull the coil spacers.)

ry%3D400

My roof line is 6'6...on 40's (39.5s)....no way is that 3.5 lift .with a roof line of 6'2 on 37 Irok .

i run 35s on 4.5" coils and bastard rear packs(tire carrier on rear bumper and winch bumper/winch up front too) . i plan on 37s on the same setup. But bump stops and a good amount of trimming is a must.

Well now that I think about it, what would be considered lcog? Would 4.5 on 32s qualify?

I would say no..

at 3" and 33's i don't consider my self LCOG

I think everyone is tied up into a silly title. My rig is the size it is because that's what springs I got a god price on and they fit my 33s nicely while providing the performance I desired. I could fit these tires sitting 2-3" lower if I wanted without cutting any further, but there aren't any coils that would provide the performance of my Deavers in that size, as far as I'm aware.

why is he so worried about COG anyway?
ive seen pretty tall rig sgo right up really steep stuff. its more about preventing rear wheel hop. if youre keeping the rear leaves, dont let the rear eye go lower than the front eye ont eh leaves, with say, a shackle drop box that drops it too far or you can get funky going up hill and some rear steer. longer perches, traction bar, help out with the leaves. so do stiffer leaves. or if you link the rear , takethe time to read all of the 4 link threads on pirate so you link it right. rear axle wrap causing the rear to hop as you are going straight up and over is much scarrier than a 5.5" lift versus a 3.5" lift , especially if the 5.5 is done right and the 3.5" is half a$$ed.

It also helps that a lower center of gravity helps with stability. You're less likely to tip over if your weight is carried low. I figure that you should build your rig as low as possible while fitting the tires you want, with the suspension travel you need, while keeping enough clearance for the trails you run.

yah but it seems futile to worry about COG with the Xj . do a nice rear 4 link, capture the coils front and rear, belly pan and 2x5 rocke replacement, and enjoy the stability and predictability front and rear instead of worry so mch about COG. the reason im at 4.5 instead of 6(used to be at 6) is because the steering angles completetly flattened out at 4.5. if i was worrie enough about COG on an XJ from 5.5 to 3.5 inch lift its almost negligable . there are tradeoffs either way. its more about proper lift setup, articulation. if someone wants to run 37s on a 3" lift they can hackup the body all they want, but if they do some goofy rear leaf setup that causes the rear to unload and hop on really steep hill climbs then the low COG aint worth it. thats all.

Back