• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keeping A Low Center of Gravity.

Hmmm...most of the rigs in here aren't what I would consider having a low COG...

3" and 35's are more like it...

Ha, that is my only thought every time I open this thread. Most of the builds aren't low CG, they are just small built Jeeps.

2" budget boost and 31's definitely isn't a low CG build. Nothing wrong with that lift, its just a small lift.

but you can wave around a much larger e-peen if you claim it is a low COG build!

I would pay good money to see Sam wheel a jeep on rocks, 6.5" of lift, 53s, and rims with 0" of backspacing.

rock gardens only obviously, it wouldn't even come close to fitting down any of the woods trails we have in the northeast.

My idea of a LCG XJ. 3.5" lift on 37's w/minor trimming and a roof line of 6'2". (Front will be lowered to 3" when I get off my butt and pull the coil spacers.)

ry%3D400

Last edited:
Way cooler than all those topless contraptions around it! :D This makes me feel better about running 33's on my 3.5" lift!

Last edited:
I like it! Looks like Sam's rig but gold and less taco'd

does look good
for you guys stuffing 37's are you modifying the rear inner fenders at all? or still just a cut and fold?

im picking up some 37" rockers once this season is over (if my XXXXing KM2's last that long) and the way i stuff the 35's in there it looks like im going to rub basically the whole way around the opening on a 37

so being a 4door, i think im gonna have to chop the inner fenders open and extend the wheel well back a couple inches.ala TNT xj http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11372905&postcount=2 and then figure out some kind of stretch on the leaves ive got (just move the axle back on the spring perches ive got?)

the front will have to come out maybe 2 inches to keep the fronts off the front kickpanel area which i will do by just making longer short arms. track bar and steering should be ok with only a mild stretch like that

any thoughts from the 37" guys around 3" lift? a comp cut isnt really possible yet. and im not scared of the ol BFH to clearance shit

i fit 37's fine on a 3" with some minor fender trimming, 1.5" stretch in front and a little sheet metal massaging with a hammer

you were able to stuff a 37 to the top of the rear fender?
seems like my 35's fill the hole exactly, only the bumps keep the whole program from grinding to a halt on itself

i wander if the 2 door has more rear fender room? ive never looked that close

Last edited:
My rear is just cut/folded and left a small lip on the edge. I've seen the TnT rig and it's amazing work. I would of liked to have done the same but I was exhausted after building it for 2 years and wanted to hit the trail. I made sure the tire was centered when fully compressed when I installed the axle. There is very minor rubbing on the front side of the wheel well. It's so minimal I'm not going to be worried about it. The wheel opening/inner fender is the same on 2 and 4drs.

The front is where the work came in. I pushed the axle forward roughly 1.5-2" and obviously opened up the fenders quite a bit. Some "massaging" was required on the kickpanel/toeboard to clear lock to lock on the tires. (this is unavoidable unless you push the axle well beyond 2", then you are into the front support for the header panel) The front I cut out the inner fenders infront of the coil buckets and did an open air intake and made a new battery box.

Hind sight I would of only changed 2 things. 1-I would of fully tucked the rear fenderwells. 2-Used a TnT trackbar mount instead of a Claytons. My front axle has a tnt trust on it and after stretching the front it hits the Claytons (i had to notch the trust). The TnT one pushes the track bar forward at least 1" and is also 2" shorter (IIRC) which would of prevented the interference.

Only issue I have found so far is that there is limited space up front going LCG for hydro assist. I have a few thoughts how to do it, just no time to mock it all up.

My set up is OME coils/leafs/shocks, 2" shackles, custom 3 link front, custom semifloat rear D60, waggy D44 front w/37 Iroks (bias). It handles unbelievably well on/off road and rides better then my Honda Pilot, Toyota Tundra and the other rigs I've owned or helped build.

Last edited:
you were able to stuff a 37 to the top of the rear fender?
seems like my 35's fill the hole exactly, only the bumps keep the whole program from grinding to a halt on itself

i wander if the 2 door has more rear fender room? ive never looked that close

same amount of room in 2 door vs 4 door.

37's stuffed nice

thanks guys
sounds like ill just hammer the tires on there, lengthen the rear bump a tiny bit and get to work on the front

i just love being "that guy" with the low stable rig doing the dumb off camber chit

Only issue I have found so far is that there is limited space up front going LCG for hydro assist. I have a few thoughts how to do it, just no time to mock it all up.
I was at AGR the other day. The guy that runs AGR has a TJ with hydro assist. His rig sits pretty low. He modified his pitman arm to take a heim draglink on the bottom( IIRC) and the assist ram on the topside. It was a pretty trick piece. I'm pretty sure he made it. I should have gotten a picture but my phone was messing up

Back