• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got an XJ but cannot ID what has been done to the suspension?

Fab industry does not always = Car fab industry ;) I have a friend that cab weld and fab better than 99.9 percent of the people on here and he has no idea when it comes to car or trucks.

i would think 20+ years would mean some sort of mechanical enginuity or eye for structural integrity. you dont need to be an engineer to know that that just isnt safe.

Fab industry does not always = Car fab industry ;) I have a friend that cab weld and fab better than 99.9 percent of the people on here and he has no idea when it comes to car or trucks.

If that is the case his statement is misleading. When you're talking about modifying vehicles and say "I have 20 years in the fab business" that means you know cars.

There are two other ways to make the statement.

1: "I have 20 years in the pottery fab business, I can keep your plants at home!" That would be honestly stating that he can weld and fabricate but doesn't know vehicles.
2: "I have 20 years in the business of being fab." That states that no, he does not know how vehicle suspensions work but he is fab-u-lous!

LOL sequoia...

personally, a good chassis without all that shit, is worth more than a jeep with a blown motor/trans, and as far as 'its not what youve bought, it's what you built'... cool saying, unless you own a jeep like this!

NO JEEP, is top shelf with only built parts. nobody makes their own shocks, engine, driveline, etc, parts. the only people who talk like this... are usually BROKE and lieing to themselfs about their build.

come to think about it, im pretty sure I have seen pics of this setup before on cherokeeforum...and everyone was telling him to sell/get rid of it. I wonder what happened with that one.............

trollface.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys.

As for those questioning my personal fab abilities, well thats their problem, not mine. I dont build rigs for the public, just for myself or my friends and none of them have ever complained about my work when its all said and done.

Yes, I knew there were things about this rig that would need fixed when I traded for it.

I was simply asking for input from everyone on this Cherokee since its my first build on one of these.
All of my previous builds have been with much stronger full frame 4x4's with front and rear leaf spring setups.
I have basically avoided these Cherokees because of the unibody construction.
Now that I have one, I have decided to make this one my next project rig and plan to do whatever it takes to make it a dependable and tough trail rig.

Thanks to all that have helped me on my quest for knowledge about this Cherokee.

If that is the case his statement is misleading. When you're talking about modifying vehicles and say "I have 20 years in the fab business" that means you know cars.

There are two other ways to make the statement.

1: "I have 20 years in the pottery fab business, I can keep your plants at home!" That would be honestly stating that he can weld and fabricate but doesn't know vehicles.
2: "I have 20 years in the business of being fab." That states that no, he does not know how vehicle suspensions work but he is fab-u-lous!
Or if you're Gsequoia, " I have 20 years being a jerk".

Hey guys, for an update, I traded this old worn out and abused Cherokee off for a nice California Rail Job.
Got me a bone stock 98 Cherokee Sport 4x4 now to start my build with.
179K original miles. Never been Offroad. Cold A/C too.
Plan to go with a 3.5" lift and run 31's for now and use it as my DD.

Hey guys, for an update, I traded this old worn out and abused Cherokee off for a nice California Rail Job.
Got me a bone stock 98 Cherokee Sport 4x4 now to start my build with.
179K original miles. Never been Offroad. Cold A/C too.
Plan to go with a 3.5" lift and run 31's for now and use it as my DD.

Hopefully you disclosed that the front end was totally FUBAR'd. Otherwise you're just putting someone else into danger.

Back