• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got an XJ but cannot ID what has been done to the suspension?

something tells me you might have found ericfx1984's old rig....

damn they caught me.... how the heck did you guys know that was my old 'rig' ?

you know I held the floors together with duct tape...???

lol, what's that supposed to mean, haha everything on my rig is safe

name one thing that isn't...

I know you're not hatin' on the Home Depot Fender flares :)

:p

Last edited:
in all seriousness, i'd hack that weld-on coil spacer off, take out the blocks, and redneck romp that XXXXer. low budget? shit you revived that thing from the dead! zombie jeep!

OR, pull those seatbelts tight, grab a fire can and an emergency room driver, and mash the hell out of it, till you snap those coil towers clean off.

think that european xj retirement thats on youtube, the one in the hilly forested area.

Yup, its been molested/mutilated. From what I can see it looks like the ZJ front end is a LP D30.. same misguided twerp probably thought it was stronger/better since it came from a bigger vehicle.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Hey, I aint gonna complain. I traded a rig with a knocking motor and bad auto tranny for it, so I basically dont have anything in it. It runs great and pulls itself around, so thats a definite plus.
I got it knowing it was a project, and I dont care what it looks like cause its going straight to the trails and rocks and will probably hit quite a few things as it goes and rolls.
I am just wanting to correct what has been done wrong and make it dependable and capable Offroad. I doubt it will see much use on the highway either, but might so I want to get it back in usable shape for that also.
All these XJ's are weak in the frame since they are unibody, so I would expect some wear and tear there. Nothing a torch, welder, and some DOM tubing cannot fix.
I have my own hydraulic bender, welder, and all the tools I will need to fix anything on it. I plan to put a full EXO on it anyways also.
I will probably continue to use the existing axles until they break, then go to some 3/4 ton Chevy axles or 1 tons and probably 4 link the rear also at that time too.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have basically 0 $$$ invested so far, so scrappin her out is not going to happen.
Motor and tranny/tcase and axles are all in working order.
Body has already been hacked and cut so I aint worrying none over that or what damage will be coming when I hit the trails here at our local ORV park.
I have torches, a welder, a DOM tubing bender and about 20+ years experience at fabrication and modification so I can fix her. I plan to put a full exo on it anyways before its put back on the road.
I am going to run the axles under it till they break, then upgrade them to full size 3/4 ton front and 1 ton rear Chevy stuff and 4 link the rear when I do the axle upgrades.

I am probably just going to tear down the front nightmare setup and build it back up from scratch and probably do my own UCA's and LCA's to line it all back up straight and true and rework the steering and put a drop pitman arm on it with the proper length shocks.
Doing away with the rear blocks and going with a different spring pack and extended rear shackles on the back for now to level it back out after I get the front set up like I want it.

I live under the motto of its not what you buy, its what you build, so I will keep everyone posted on my progress as I go along.
Jim C.

speechless....

I live under the motto of its not what you buy, its what you build, so I will keep everyone posted on my progress as I go along.
Jim C.

right on, I agree with you, & good you realized that something was not right. Good luck in modifying it, hopefully the right way.....

Wait...you have 20+ years fabrication experience and you couldn't see what was done wrong before you even bought it?

I smell fish.

he said he traded it for a rig with a bad motor/tranny. I'd get it too if it was basically free. It doesn't look un-fixable...

he said he traded it for a rig with a bad motor/tranny. I'd get it too if it was basically free. It doesn't look un-fixable...

In his thread title it says he cannot ID what has been done to the suspension.

Nobody working in the fab industry for 20+ years would miss something so blatantly obvious

In his thread title it says he cannot ID what has been done to the suspension.

Nobody working in the fab industry for 20+ years would miss something so blatantly obvious

Fab industry does not always = Car fab industry ;) I have a friend that cab weld and fab better than 99.9 percent of the people on here and he has no idea when it comes to car or trucks.

I still wouldn't trust anything on the rig when the PO hacked things together so much...

Back