• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Long Arm Upgrade

Ok honeybadger, given your opinion here, what lift would you recommend instead? Long arms full leafs strong sturdy track bar(unless your ok with their double sheer setup) etc and won't break the bank.

I'm not trying to be a prick, I'm asking an honest question so I only have to buy my setup once.

My recommendation would be the Rock Krawler 3-Link if price is the primary concern. If your budget allows then there are other suspensions such as the Clayton's 4-Link, or the T&T Customs Y-Link if you prefer radius arms. These are examples of considerably better designs. I am about to install a Y-Link on our expedition XJ based on data received from T&T. If you need any assistance or photographs of that suspension, it would be a pleasure.

Well I was lookingat spending 1500 on the iron rock. So in that ball park would work, realistically I intend to run between 4-5" of lift and 33's... Possibly 10.50's, I don't see much snow, I hate the mud but do do alot of rocky sandy terrain. I want my rig to be rubicon capable by summer of next year, that will give me time to buy/ build everything I'll need

My 5.5" kit is still rocking great. I logged just over 10k miles last year on it and only got the opportunity to wheel 6 times on it. No deformation or any problems with the castor adjustment except for the fact that it is a pain in the ass to adjust IMO.

I posted in this thread a while back stating that my leafs were sagging about 1" after 6 months. While after almost 10 months on the Jeep they were sagging 2". I finally got off my ass and called IRO to explain what was going on with the leafs. I talked to Josh and he told me to email him some pictures and hub to fender measurements before they could determine if the springs needed to be replaced. I sent the pics last Friday and as of today I have a new set of leafs on the way:clap:. I know a lot of people are very critical of this kit but one thing no one can talk bad about is IRO customer service is great!! Just wanted to share my story for anyone thinking about buying this LA kit.

SO SIMPLE TO USE AND REVOLUTIONARY

Just set it and forget it.
set-it-and-forget-it-ronco-rotisserie.jpg

second documented time i have heard of this. imagine all the people that don't go on the forums that have done this.

Come on man, chill out with all the negativity here. Let's pull Ford's Oasis reports and see how many F-150's have had serious repairs/problems. That's the most selling pickup in the world; although I have no feelings for the truck. Why don't you ask questions like, are you sure the carriage bolts were still tight? What was the condition of the axle bushing? Was the main through bolt torqued? Could it have loosened? Did you have any high impacts to the area? The list of questions will go on and on but would be necessary to properly identify a faulty design. I doubt 100k kits were sold but I'm betting (2) reports is an extremely low percentage.

That's the problem with the IRO suspension owners. You "don't think." At least it would appear so. It is a moral issue when it potentially puts lives in jeopardy.

^ that's a HUGE assumption buddy. I think this system is clearly safer than most of the bastardized lifted vehicles on the road. Why don't you discuss morals with 1ton truck owner on 12" blocks....

I am running this system and have no issues but I would like to bring to light something that has not been discussed. The loading capability of a single rubber control arm bushing. I've noted rotational movement of my axle, by virtue of compressing the upper axle bushing, under braking. I replaced mine with a new MOOG unit when I overhauled my axle last winter so I can confidently attest that its not due to an excessively worn unit. I feel this connection might need to be supported with either a stiffer polyurethane bushing or possibly solid aluminum. I intended to contact IRO today to discuss.

Come on man, chill out with all the negativity here. Let's pull Ford's Oasis reports and see how many F-150's have had serious repairs/problems. That's the most selling pickup in the world; although I have no feelings for the truck. Why don't you ask questions like, are you sure the carriage bolts were still tight? What was the condition of the axle bushing? Was the main through bolt torqued? Could it have loosened? Did you have any high impacts to the area? The list of questions will go on and on but would be necessary to properly identify a faulty design. I doubt 100k kits were sold but I'm betting (2) reports is an extremely low percentage.

you are an iron rock owner, i dont have to listen to you.

im sorry i don't approve of a failure prone system by a company that reportedly doesn't back up thier warranty.

I'm not sure if they changed it, but thier website used to be full of false claims, saying thier system is the best, has the greatest ground clearance of any available longarm setup (obviously not). saying how conventional adjustable arms with threaded joints are the devil (every other manufacturer with adjustable arms does it without issue) bleepbloopblop

you are an iron rock owner, i dont have to listen to you.

im sorry i don't approve of a failure prone system by a company that reportedly doesn't back up thier warranty.

I'm not sure if they changed it, but thier website used to be full of false claims, saying thier system is the best, has the greatest ground clearance of any available longarm setup (obviously not). saying how conventional adjustable arms with threaded joints are the devil (every other manufacturer with adjustable arms does it without issue) bleepbloopblop

I just posted my experience where they backed up their warranty. Sending me new leafs when my old ones sagged 2" after 10 months is pretty damned good customer service. Saved me $300. I have yet to hear any catastrophic failures with this kit. I saw one picture that showed the stupid caster adjuster bent. This is the only one I have seen and for all we know the bolts could have came loose or something else could have happened. I thinks it is pretty clear most people do not like the caster adjustment on this kit. But until I start reading posts where axles have came loose from vehicles or an accident has occurred then I will take everyones "opinions" with a grain of salt. No one is arguing that the adjuster is dumb. But you make it sound like the failure rate of this kit is 100% when I doubt it is even 1%. I have XXXXed up a lot of shit on my Jeep from stupid wheeling and I can tell you nothing from IRO I own has bent, snapped, warped, cracked, stretched or anything else. My leafs sagged and my trackbar bushings wore out which were both IRO. A quick search will tell you that is common with almost any manufacturer. The fact is this kit is cheap and it works for folks that lack the ability to build a nice 3 link or shell out 3k for someone elses kit. IRO kits works well and flexes great. So it is not the best kit out. Who the XXXX cares. It is under $1500 XXXXing dollars with complete leafs and shocks. What do you expect? Sorry if I am coming off rude but it is pretty clear you have an agenda or some beef with IRO. We can all see that and you have made your point known over and over. For the budget wheeler this kit is fine.

the point we've been trying to make here is:

all you guys with this kit who say you're beating the shit out of your truck, are talking completely out of your ass. you have no idea what pushing the limits of every nut and bolt means.

also, $1500 bucks is a lot of green dude.

how about the people who have snapped the 2 stock 10mm upper control arm bolts?

do you really think one 10mm upper control arm bolt is an upgrade?

this is the internet. i will voice my opinion for the benefit of others. if you still want to run it, run it.

all you guys with this kit who say you're beating the shit out of your truck, are talking completely out of your ass. you have no idea what pushing the limits of every nut and bolt means.

also, $1500 bucks is a lot of green dude.

I am sure quite a few are talking out of their ass. But if you are accusing me of that then you are a fool. $1500 is a lot of dough but this is also the cheapest long arm lift out there next to Rough Country. Like I said before, what are you guys expecting?

how about the people who have snapped the 2 stock 10mm upper control arm bolts?

do you really think one 10mm upper control arm bolt is an upgrade?

this is the internet. i will voice my opinion for the benefit of others. if you still want to run it, run it.

Didn't see those but thank you for pointing them out. If that is all that is worrying you then I am sure it is pretty easy to replace that bolt with a 12mm. I will have to check the clearance in the stupid caster thing but I have no reason to believe it won't work. Just for the fun of it a quick Google search pulled this up. I assume this company's LA kit is shit too?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t-t-customs-y-link-broken-control-arm-597788/

My point is, if you look hard enough you will find failures with anything. This kit is fine for people without a ton of cash and want the ride quality and flexiness of a LA kit. ANY other kit out there that is better will cost you ATLEAST 1k more and still does not include all the stuff in this kit. Once again, it is fine for the budget wheeler. And yes it can be pushed much harder than anyone is giving it credit. Is it the best lift? NO. Not even close. But it works for what it is.

you are an iron rock owner, i dont have to listen to you....(other nonsense that I don't care to read again)

:looney:

how about the people who have snapped the 2 stock 10mm upper control arm bolts? do you really think one 10mm upper control arm bolt is an upgrade? this is the internet. i will voice my opinion for the benefit of others. if you still want to run it, run it.

People also jump the shit out of an XJ and bend the C's all to shit. No body is hating on Dana...

To conclude on my thoughts about the strength, or load capability, of the single rubber bushing for axle wrap. I've decided to go with a Currie Ent. JJ. Here is a link to the one they make for the D30 if anyone is interested. This might also calm down KTM Racer since it would bump the bolt size from 10mm to 7/16" although its going to take some modification to the caster/pinion adjustment bracket.

I am sure quite a few are talking out of their ass. But if you are accusing me of that then you are a fool. $1500 is a lot of dough but this is also the cheapest long arm lift out there next to Rough Country. Like I said before, what are you guys expecting?

show me some pictures or video of you 'beating on your truck,' then we can decide. until then, you dont wheel hard. i dont either so don't think it's me saying i'm better than you.

People also jump the shit out of an XJ and bend the C's all to shit. No body is hating on Dana...

would you swap an axle weaker than a dana30 under your rig? i dont think so.

just how i wouldnt make my front suspension weaker than stock

show me some pictures or video of you 'beating on your truck,' then we can decide. until then, you dont wheel hard. i dont either so don't think it's me saying i'm better than you.
exactly. most people who say they "beat the shit" out of their jeeps just go in a mud hole and smash the throttle
i hate my dana 30 :dunno:

Back