• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing lift coils

dgoxj

NAXJA Forum User
O.K., went out and bought a Rough Country 3" lift system. Went to put it on this weekend and couldn't get the taller coils in. I disconected the sway bar but couldn't get the axle low enough. Rented a coil spring compressor from Checker but the only one they had wasn't designed for these kind of coils (it was for a coil set up that had access to the inside of the coil from the top of the mount). I noticed the upper control arms restricted the axle from dropping by binding the lower control arms into the mount, so I tried disconecting the upper arms. I got one off but the other won't budge. I gave up and tried putting it back together but now I can't get the upper control arm to line back up. Any suggestions before I pay someone to install this? Also, I twisted off one of the sway bar end links and need to know what are the cheapest quick disconnects out there?

Ok, without disconnecting the UCAs you should be able to install the coils. I suspect that your steering is limiting droop enough that you can't get them in. Try reconnecting the UCA & leave the TB & steering disconnected, that should give you enough room.

You can always just jack up one side of the axle and let the other side hang freely, this will allow you more room to install the coil because of the angle of the axle.

Good luck, and dont disconnect both UCAs cause it'll be difficult to re-install them and the axle will want to flop all over the place.

Yea, try and see if u can get thier strut compressor. i Belive it goes on the outside. I just put this same lift on my jeep. you wont be able to fit the springs on unless you disconect the lower control arms and i didnt want to do that. And my stock trackbar binded up pretty quick that helps abit if u take it off. I had a RE trackbar anyways so i put that on. good luck.

If youre going to do it without a spring compressor.......
First remove the shocks and calipers.Then remove one end of the lower ca on the side youve already removed the upper on.Then reinstall "that upper".Then remove one end on the "other" lca.Now youll be able to get the springs in,as already said you can lift up on the opposite side to help the drop!When ready to install the lca bolts,put the tires back on(temp) and roll them "back and forth" to align the bolt holes/bolts(w/ the back tires chocked and E-brake on)!

5.5 RE Intallation

I just did a RE 5.5" lift on my 94 about two weeks ago and did not have to use any spring compressore. I removed the UCA, LCA, track bar, and brake line they where just getting in the way. Putting everything back together was the easy part. Taking the old stuff off is what was the B*%ch. I just used some strappes and a prey bar to move the axle back and forth and side to side. Send me an email if you want to know the details.

Joe

disconnect the track bar and the pitman arm and the whole thing drops i did mine the way you are trying than i saw a friend do his the rite way i felt stupid:D

maineiac said:
disconnect the track bar and the pitman arm and the whole thing drops i did mine the way you are trying than i saw a friend do his the rite way i felt stupid:D

You should feel "stupid" now,the pitman arm not only is one of the hardest things on a Jeep to remove,its also "NOT NEEDED".

Just run to Sears and pick up a pair of spring compressors for $25. The only thing you would need to unbolt is the swaybar and shocks. Then if you still need more room, use another floor jack and jack up the opposite end you are working on. Piece of cake!
Good luck.

RCP Phx said:
You should feel "stupid" now,the pitman arm not only is one of the hardest things on a Jeep to remove,its also "NOT NEEDED".

I'm sure he meant to say disconnect the steering at the pitman arm (as I said in my reply). Common Phx, this guy is having trouble with 3" lift coils and you want him to disconnect his LCAs? Brotha please......:rolleyes:

yea seriously i put 8 inch coils in with only removing the shocks and trac bar and lettin the axle drop! it was hecka ez!!!

stoney

Back