• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Harley dealer near the house is looking for a parts guy. Think I might throw my resume at them. If there is one thing I know, it's harley parts cost alot and the owners always buy them. Job security built right in.

Harley dealer near the house is looking for a parts guy. Think I might throw my resume at them. If there is one thing I know, it's harley parts cost alot and the owners always buy them. Job security built right in.
I sell a crap load of oil to them. They never blink about the cost per case.

A friend of a friend has a 97 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 motor. About a year ago she says it "quit" on her and a "mechanic" told her it needed a transmission. I have been asked to help fix it. From what I can find on the internet, it should be a 44RE transmission. I have not even seen the Jeep and she lives about 90 minutes from me.

So, my questions:

Anyone know if the 44RE was for sure the only tranny used in these?

Any sure fire way to identify it as the 44RE from looking at it?

Any other tranny possible to swap in with minimum of fuss?

Anyone have a good used 44RE laying around?

TIA
IIRC

4.0 is a 44RE
5.2 is a 45RE
5.9 is a 49RE

IIRC

4.0 is a 44RE
5.2 is a 45RE
5.9 is a 49RE

4.0 early 1993 was AW4
4.0 1993.5 to 1998 was 42RE
5.2 46RH 1993 to 1995
5.2 44RE 1995 to 1998
5.9 46RE 1998

mac '45RFE was a 4.7 tranny...in 99 WJs' gyvr

A friend of a friend has a 97 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 motor. About a year ago she says it "quit" on her and a "mechanic" told her it needed a transmission. I have been asked to help fix it. From what I can find on the internet, it should be a 44RE transmission. I have not even seen the Jeep and she lives about 90 minutes from me.

So, my questions:

Anyone know if the 44RE was for sure the only tranny used in these?

Any sure fire way to identify it as the 44RE from looking at it?

Any other tranny possible to swap in with minimum of fuss?

Anyone have a good used 44RE laying around?

TIA

There is a tech section on this forum.

This thread is for things that are important, like boobs.

I never buy parts at my local dealer. If it has to be a harley part, I order it online and grab the discount.

I got bored so decided to make a keychain. Didn't turn out the way I wanted to but hey just a good off project.
IMG_20170119_235929.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I would fire you.

unless you made me one too.:D

Well i guess I wouldn't be getting fired then haha

Those are mighty nice.

Side note. I've never had to break a 4.0 and aw4. What's the trick to getting the converter pulled back up against the flex plate? You can reach behind it? What's the trick? I pulled the engine. Now sticking the new one in is going to be a treat.

Last edited:
Back