• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need Your Help NAXJA!

CumminsJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I started this in the NAC and got some good results. Now I just need more. So here is what this is about. For my Senior project/thesis I decided to do a study between Jeep Cherokee Suspensions. Both the factory 4 link short arm design (this includes aftermarket short arms) vs. the aftermarket long arm system (primarily radius arm style). The study will focus mainly on customer satisfaction between different companies out there since there is not too many ways to get numerical data besides an RTI ramp. Since I am not anywhere near an RTI ramp, I will have to wait til Rausch to get that part of the data. So if anyone is going to Rausch anytime soon, Ill score your Jeep if you want to give me a few minutes of your time.

Now, for the actual customer satisfaction part of the data. I want to focus both on on-road drivability and off-road drivability/capability. and I need about 5 questions for each part of the survey. If anyone has any other ideas that they think would be good for the test, definitely post up and let me know. For now, if you could take a few min and answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated. Everything is on a 1-10 scale. I would like people to respond if they feel they have sufficient seat time with their suspension. Not something they put on last week and "seems to be good" etc. It will be better data if people actually know the kit well and its characteristics. and try not to be impartial to the kit you have just because its yours. I want to know the truth about it. Im looking for Jeeps in the 3.5"-6" lift range and between 33" and 35" tires. These are very broad questions so answer the best you can. and remember, BE HONEST! if your jeep doesnt soak up bumps well or corner well (and I realize not many of us run sway bars and are used to it), I wanna know about it. and if you want to add anything to say why any category got a high score or low score (ex: joints failed after a month/ 3 years on the same joints) please feel free. I realize not all of you have experience with every kit to compare stuff together. Just do your best on what you would think the score should be. Im sure a lot of you have driven other peoples XJs with different set-ups. I just want to know about ones you have a lot of experience with. If you have a ton of experience with other peoples, fill out a survey for that too. If you have only driven it once, Im sorry. Also, I realize different shocks, spring rates etc will give different results. Regardless of shocks/spring rate, I just want to know about your front suspension and thats it. what you are running for rear leafs/shocks is not the focus of the study. the study is to compare the front suspension. Thanks!

1. What brand suspension do you run?

2. Short arm or radius long arm?

3. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being more towards on road and 10 being towards off road), do you spend more time with your Jeep on road or off road?

4. Are you running sway bars? F/R/none

5. If you could change your suspension, what would you change to? (upgrade to long arm? different short arms? brand?)

6. Ease of Installation. 1-10

7. How much was it?

On road drivability

1. How well does your suspension soak up bumps? 1- holy crap im gonna die. 5- not bad. 10- did i just hit something?

2. Cornering ability. how planted does your Jeep feel? 1- AHHHH 5- A little scary. 10- Very good and planted

3. When you have to do a quick maneuver, how well does the suspension respond? 1- super slow/sloppy. 5- Not too bad. 10- very safely and tight

4. Comfort level. 1- harsh. 5- could be better. 10- Extreme comfort

Off-Road Drivability/Capability

1. Articulation. How well does it flex? 1- lift tires everywhere. 5- could be better. 10- Very very flexy. tires stay on the ground.

2. Bump absorption. Does it soak it up or does your back hurt? Comfort level. 1-10 (same scale as #4 in on road section)

3. Strength. Can it take a beating? 1- bends with minor hits. 5- bends with bigger hits. 10- Will never bend. Ever.

4. Durability. Joint/bushing condition etc. 1- everything fell apart after a week. 5- Not bad. minor issues.lasted for a while. 10- Lasted forever, no issues.

5. Off-Road Capability. 1-This suspension kills me. 5- Gets me most places I want to go. 10- Takes me EVERYWHERE.

6. Clearance. 1- Hits every rock. 5- Could use a little more. 10- rarely ever hits unless its a big obstacle.

For now I think that is a good start. I really dont need 400 questions. all I need is enough people to take the survey to hopefully get enough people with each suspension. All in all this is not only comparing each company's suspensions, but comparing the factory 4 link design vs. a radius long arm suspension. and if anyone has any other ideas/questions for the survey PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW. THANKS GUYS!

I can't believe nobody in your other thread said this, and I'm really not trying to be an ass... But are you sure this is the best subject for a senior thesis?

In all likelihood, your professor is going to have NO idea what you're going on about. He/she will get bored with all the stats that you've accumulated and will not understand any of the terminology used. If someone handed me such a paper, I would probably not give it a very good grade.

If your prof is an off-roader, then go for it. Otherwise, I would seriously consider another topic. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :thumbup:

I can't believe nobody in your other thread said this, and I'm really not trying to be an ass... But are you sure this is the best subject for a senior thesis?

In all likelihood, your professor is going to have NO idea what you're going on about. He/she will get bored with all the stats that you've accumulated and will not understand any of the terminology used. If someone handed me such a paper, I would probably not give it a very good grade.

If your prof is an off-roader, then go for it. Otherwise, I would seriously consider another topic. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :thumbup:

Honestly? I agree with you. However, I have been adding to a precis for a year of classes already and its kinda late to turn back now and start something new. Also, I have an A+ on the precis for what I have done so far, so why not continue it? As I have been collecting the data and doing this, I realize how many different variables there are that will skew my data. (ex: different shocks, spring rates, people are opinionated, etc). But there is also a section on the thesis that will go over these variables and show the "limitations" of the study. Like I said, I agree with you. I think it is a study that sounded great in my head at first because I'm familiar with it, but I have done too much already and can get enough data to show something, so why not keep it?

Understood. In that case, try not to use too much technical terminology. Make it as easy as possible for the reader to comprehend what you are presenting.

Again, good luck.

Understood. In that case, try not to use too much technical terminology. Make it as easy as possible for the reader to comprehend what you are presenting.

Again, good luck.

Technically, and it sounds like that's what you're going for, factory set ups are 5 link (trackbar).

Very interesting, but sorry, I have no time or motivation to answer all of your questions.

Good luck with your project. :)

Very interesting, but sorry, I have no time or motivation to answer all of your questions.

Good luck with your project. :)

Thanks anyway. by the way I saw you out at KOH. I was with the group at the bottom of the hill with the flat tire on the gray Tahoe on Saturday afternoon. Very cool looking rig

Back