• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard do you XJers drive???

Narfxj

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys I have a dumb question that only other XJer’s can answer. My XJ is a 91 with 112,000 original miles on it. I bought it with 92k miles. Ever since I bought it I’ve babied it on the road. Yes I’m that slow driver that you would like to kick in the rear. Well long story short I sank my XJ and the motor is dieing. So all that babying was for nothing GO FIGURE. What I would like to know is how hard you guys drive your XJ. Like in RPM range. From stop to go. A friend once told me that I should drive it like I stole it guess he was right at least I would have some fun. THANKS

It depends on how I'm feeling, but I never take it above 3500-4000 RPMs, inline 6's have alot of much mass going back and forth, so I try and keep the RPM's fairly low.

XJ98Jeep said:
It depends on how I'm feeling, but I never take it above 3500-4000 RPMs, inline 6's have alot of much mass going back and forth, so I try and keep the RPM's fairly low.

[FONT=&quot]X2 I like to down shift the motor, I do a lot of rural/country driving.
Lets say the speed limit is 45 the motor is doing about 2200 let off of the gas for a second the RPM's will obviously drop but when you lightly step back one to keep that speed at 45 the motor is running reasonably around 1600. It saves gas too. You go the same speed but the motor is running at lower RPM because the Tranny is doning the work to keep at 45

[/FONT]

But somedays "drive it like you stole it."

however hard i need to to get the job at hand done. Be it pulling out in traffic,passing on the highway,or going through mud and snow

91 Jeep Project said:
Like I was auditioning for Indy...................:cheers:

Yeahhh!

I try not to go over 4k much... I usually make the transmission hit around 3k before letting it shift... But I tend to do a lot of peeling out, especially in the rain... And high speed cruising everyday, like 75-80mph.

But it also is a 99 with 75kmiles...

I rarely exceed 3000 rpm.

The only time I use everything the engine has is when I'm in the wrong lane at a light and I have to "race" the guy next to me so I can change lanes to turn up ahead.

I also occasionally race the tricked out fart car imports to show them that even an old Jeep can give them a run for their money.

Off road, I take it easy because I have a Dana 35 that wasn't meant for pedal to the metal action in the rocks.

when accelerating normally i like to keep it below 2000 RPM's, it saves a TON on gas. but if i really need to get going i will allow myself to go to 3000. i like to baby it on road.. but beat the crap out of it offroad. im only at 150K in a 91, still runs solid.

i push my mine pretty hard on the freeway. my speedo doesnt work so i dont know how fast im going but 3500 rpms in 4 gear 4.88's and 35's....
91 4.0, aw4, 190,000 miles... but i just changed my tranny oil and it sure was crispy...
-Shomsky

p.s. anyone know how fast that is?

On the freeway, I drive mine 80 MPH as much as possible. The RPM's is around 3100. Speed checked with GPS.

Jeep is a 2000 with 75K mile, auto, 4.88 gears, and 33" MT/R's.

Stop-and-go: see alot of that in SoCal, on the highway... LOL

On the side streets, I usually drive the speed limit, but I like to get there quick. The AW4 willnot sta in 1st gear very long, but it will stay in second. I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times. :shocked:

I get up and go on the highway, torque it way to much intown (hence shearing 2 sets of bolts in the block, and act like I have a small penis (which I do) by burning a lil rubber and being anoying.

85 @ 2500 rpm... 23 mpg's

Shomsky462 said:
i push my mine pretty hard on the freeway. my speedo doesnt work so i dont know how fast im going but 3500 rpms in 4 gear 4.88's and 35's....
91 4.0, aw4, 190,000 miles... but i just changed my tranny oil and it sure was crispy...
-Shomsky

My math is rusty but by my calculations its approximately 75mph.

4th gear = 1:1 ratio
3500 engine rpm = 3500 pinion rpm
3500/4.88 gears = ~717.2 wheel rpm
35" tires = 109.96" circumference/perimeter
717.2 wheel rpm x 109.96" = ~78861.68 inches/minute
~78861.68 inches/minute = ~74.69 mph

I could be wrong somewhere in there. This assumes your 4th gear is like mine at 1:1 and it also assumes your tires are actually 35" in diameter. But they might be a bit more or a bit less, so that's why its approximate...

Shomsky462 said:
-Shomsky

so i figured it out.. i was goin about 95 on the freeway one time. thought i was gonna die...

Beej said:
My math is rusty but by my calculations its approximately 75mph.

4th gear = 1:1 ratio
3500 engine rpm = 3500 pinion rpm
3500/4.88 gears = ~717.2 wheel rpm
35" tires = 109.96" circumference/perimeter
717.2 wheel rpm x 109.96" = ~78861.68 inches/minute
~78861.68 inches/minute = ~74.69 mph

I could be wrong somewhere in there. This assumes your 4th gear is like mine at 1:1 and it also assumes your tires are actually 35" in diameter. But they might be a bit more or a bit less, so that's why its approximate...

well with the aw4 its actually an overdrive so 4th gear (overdrive) is actually .75:1 they are 35" mt/r's

were you thinkin of the ax-15?

vetteboy said:
170k and no mercy.

Rev limiter is your friend.
:cheers:
Don't want carbon build up;)

I still haven't grownup out of burning up glass-pack 17"rimmed up civics at redlights :D

Why the heck would you not want to rev the engine past 3,000 or even 4,000 RPM???? That sounds almost idiotic to me, what is it going to hurt? If you drive like this go buy an old non turbo diesel and stay in the slow lane. Stay under 5,000RPM and your fine. The 4.0 is a pretty stout motor drive it like it is meant to be driven, you can shift at 5K when you need to and the rest of the time you can do it at 2K. I know so many people that are affraid of reving their engine because they think it will break or it is real bad for it but they don't even change their oil?

Back