• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard do you XJers drive???

I baby the pi$$ out of my '91, only has 100k on it with a good body and great interior and I only paid $200. I take the hwy. to work and back, 15 miles each way and maybe a couple of trips to "wally world" and back, 32 miles, so not a lot of miles being racked up.
I couldn't tell you how fast or how many RPM's. Tach and speedo do not work, well the speedo kicks in around, what I think to be about 45-50 mph, but goes backwards to 85mph ( fast xj...0 to 85 in about 3 sec...lol)
My '90 which is in about a million pieces, no interior...floor pan restoration..just got sick of working on it, but I will finish it...I feel guilty.
That will come back bigger and badder than it ever was....I could run that all day @ 70mph, no probs. Will be doing a 4.6 stroker....see if that holds up as good as the 4.0

IT depends how I feel if I try to get good gas milage then I try to keep it under 3500 rpm. Most of the time I drive it like I stole it. 213k miles and still running strong. I do alot of driving with it. Almost 20k miles in 8 months.

ZacSquatch said:
I get up and go on the highway, torque it way to much intown (hence shearing 2 sets of bolts in the block, and act like I have a small penis (which I do) by burning a lil rubber and being anoying.

85 @ 2500 rpm... 23 mpg's

23mpgs like that?

Dang son, that's how I drive, just without shearing bolts yet.. And I'm average of 15-16

jeepboy381 said:
Why the heck would you not want to rev the engine past 3,000 or even 4,000 RPM???? That sounds almost idiotic to me, what is it going to hurt? If you drive like this go buy an old non turbo diesel and stay in the slow lane. Stay under 5,000RPM and your fine. The 4.0 is a pretty stout motor drive it like it is meant to be driven, you can shift at 5K when you need to and the rest of the time you can do it at 2K. I know so many people that are affraid of reving their engine because they think it will break or it is real bad for it but they don't even change their oil?
There is ALOT of reciprocating mass in an inline 6, you can throw a rod. It's surpisingly easy if you hang out at the rev limiter. Plus, who wants to hear "Clunkgrindshriek!" and then watch a rod go through the hood? That'll really ruin your speed-gasm.

I am not saying always be revved out but there is absolutely no reason to be afraid to rev it up. I have never had any problems with throwing rods and at the dunes I have looked at my tach and seen it a little past 5,500. I would never do this on purpose but it happens when you don't have a limiter. It is not the fact that it is a I-6 that means it cant rev high, look at supras and skylines. It is the harmonics of the engine and the fact it is bigger and made of heavier parts. I don't recommend always having it on the rev limiter but if you have to be worried about the engine blowing up at that low of an RPM in a gas engine it is no good. I do understand what you are saying, hearing that loud "BANG" would really suck! There are times off-road where revving is necessary to maintain momentum. I do wish that my 87 XJ had a rev limiter though, I don’t like seeing it above 5K!

drive it like I stole it, oil/filter changes w/syn blend every 2500-3k miles, just about ready to turn 100k and runnin like new.

I love smokin buzz box ricers off the line just to see the WTF look on their face :spin1:
I also <3 the AW4's 2-1 downshift at 15ish

I think it would be absolutely awesome to get a 2by xj, leave it stock looking but dump a heavily built stroker in her and tear the streets up :D

when does the rev limiter kick in? I have had my 92 with 5 speed manual tranny up over redline several times and didn't hear or feel it cut out,it was still pulling

cjben said:
when does the rev limiter kick in? I have had my 92 with 5 speed manual tranny up over redline several times and didn't hear or feel it cut out,it was still pulling

the manual for my 97 says 5250 +/-50rpm
I do try to keep mine under 4500-5k but I have hit the limiter a couple times

In the summer i drive like an Indy racer and in the winter, with part-time and iced over roads its just way to tempting to do some snow drifts and snow burm riding and the best part is theres always about four feet of plowed snow on the side of all the roads so theres not much not hit but this is all back road driving cause I HATE tickets.
-Dan-

On the road... if I need to, I'll hit it, otherwise I consider my driving to be moderate on the scale of idle to floored. (as far as street driving on 33s with stock gears go anyhow.) Off-road, especially in the sand dunes, my foot doesnt move much; the rev-limiter does all the work.

i was doing 15mph into a stump last night. didn't even see the damn thing. it was at night and hit my front pumpkin dead on. head went into the steering wheel. glasses flew off and took me a half hour to find em. nice big gash in my forehead from the wheel. but all in all some great fun.

4:56 gears running on 31's doing >85 (not sure how fast since it stops at 85) on my way to work today passing cars like they where standing still. When your late, drive it like you stole it!

I beat on my jeep like it owes me money lol. Since its not a DD anymore I try and at least stretch a couple of WOT shifts out of it when I drive it.

j99xj said:
I've topped my Jeep out a few times before on the interstate. My speedo needle was about an inch passed 100. So I guess thats about 110-115.

same here, did it on I-8 east a little ways past Yuma, it was surprisingly smooth and tight at that speed :D

Back