• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard do you XJers drive???

Yuma huh? Went right past me then.

When I still had my jeep, I drove responsibly with the kids in the car...and like some possessed psycho when they weren't. Well, maybe not that bad, but I got good enough at whipping it around corners and downshifting ( it was an auto) that unless the person had ridden with me before, they were certain I would roll the thing. Dunno why...isn't it normal to semi-drift around a corner and power out of it in a Cherokee? only a couple inches of lift, wider tires, etc...so long as the streets weren't wet there was no concern from my seat.

And a littel trip up through Cali was pretty fun. My jeep stayed in the fast lane and it was funny seeing how one car after another would see me coming up behind them and just get over. First example of polite Cali drivers I've ever seen on the interstate. Managed to turn a 24 hour trip (driving time now, not overall) into a 14 hour one. Stupid Mapquest...

i have a 97 with a 4.0 and pushing 200,000mi. every time the skinny pedal is involved it is like im quallifing for nascar. skinny pedal on the floor.

I had a 92' that had 368,000 km.

I beat the SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! out of that truck. Broke 3 u-joints, the straps twice, and snapped the leafs springs lol. That motor was still solid. It was such a shame that the bottom rotted out.

But I have a 2000 with 171,000km, bought it with 149...I do 150-155kmh to work every morning :hang:

lol.

Last edited:
Well, I'll put it this way... It was my first car.

I'll start listing what I've done:
-Topped out at around 120mph on several occassions (like 15 probably)
-Usually drive at around 85 to 90 on the highway (w/ 31's and 3")
-Can't go much over that now
-120K miles approx
-Did a 180 while burning out onto a 4 lane divided highway...
-Done many standing burnouts...
-Does drifting count?
-Donuts in the snow (but that's not too much wear and tear)
-Have ya'll ever gotten air off of a speed bump in a 25mph zone? (I'm not doing it again)
-I usually drive w/ the pedal mashed... but that's changed since the first year I had it. Now I actually try and save gas (some of the time).
-Oh yeah, and my favorite car is a BMW M3. That's enough explination to say what I try to get out of the cherokee on curvy roads.

88 XJ Look at my signature for miles. Spin the wheels ino third on a automatic in the rain o tease the ricers. Then put into AWD to actually drive. Lately Ive been 1/4 throttle but before that I was WOT all the time. Rear main seal leak change the oil everyday and change the filter ever 3k. She's treated me well and the stroker will treat her well once its in.

So I drive like im trying out for jeepspeed.

135,000 miles and I have only changed a water pump. I beat it like a redheaded step-child! Really, i do drive aggresively without being an a**. I wheel it and try to challenge my self, but not so much that I will kill it as my DD. She is starting to show wear, and I think I am starting to hear a little knocking during start-ups. But, I have no real worries, and I plan to take another road trip to Colorado for skiing next month. My co-worker has a four banger with 345,000 miles!!! It is still running strong. Proper maintinace and not reving to high will extend the life of the whole drivetrain.

I drive mine with the speedo barried all the time ........ 193000 original motor 5000 rpms all the time..... ive had my radiator cap blow off it was so hot..... my oil pressure sensor rotted out and i ran it out of oil twice......lets just say you un that thing as hard as you want...... amc 242 for life

At around 106k miles I run my 1990 like a granny going to church sunday morning.
My 4.0l has some horrible lifter racket so I don't dare push it..I need another few thousand Km's and an 8 hour freeway trip out of it before I can replace the cam and lifters this winter. After that I can start really pinning it..
I'd like to make this engine last since I expect to keep this jeep for years, so I'm not too hard on it.

I baby the 97, 3" and 31's, 162k. I occasionally smoke the tires, get the rpms way up to pass and are always at 80mph plus on the 98, stock, 94k miles.

nothing like the sound of 15 inch wide swampers chirpin into second with a locker, gotta love the ax 15 :)

as far as gas mileage goes, i have found that the maximum efficiency of a stock 4.0 HO is from 2200-3000 rpm for general in town use, i learned this in my stock 93 with 5spd and found that with very minimal gas input the motor would really come alive in this range, lower rpm's kept the engine slower but definatley needed more throttle to accelerate. just my $.02

I've had a couple close calls responding to fire alarms at 3 a.m in the XJ. Strobes aren't enough anymore. Two wheels is enough for me. I'll do 80 pulling the ski's down the beach w/ 8'' and 35'ss

Boy I tell you what I drive my power chair so hard. I take those turns around the hall at atleast 5 mph. I crank that wheel and just powerslide it good. I get some smoke comin out as I drift those corners. I go through a lot of sets of tires because of the sheer handling that this power chair has. I did a suspension upgrade on her and she handles like a dream. I got some huge tires on there and I just tear the floor up. Then when I get on a straight away I floor her down the hall and just rip a huge wheelie as my massive exhaust shakes the walls of the hall knockin all them fandangled pictures off the walls. I think I may have killed a few old people cuz I deleted my cat and my chair just puts out massive amounts of smoke.

i drive mine hard and dont let up till i get to where im going. Theres no need to baby it. If something breaks thats a good excuse to build a stroker.

vetteboy said:
170k and no mercy.

Rev limiter is your friend.
same here, but I'm at 208k and no mercy. When I park i enjoy the fresh smell of worn break pad, and burnt rubber............and maybe a little coolent and oil :eyes:

310k on odometer 100k on this 4.0 60 over 10 off head but stock cam (previous owner) blew originial aw30-40 at 270k 2.5ft of snow built d35 before I knew there junk sheared side gears 2907k (4.10 truetrac) now 3rd rear axle 8.8 broke exhaust manifold because motor mounts broke if it blows get better parts

jeep the other 4 letter word

You gotta drive it like you stole it....its why the tach goes that high.But i can rarely keep it below 3000rpm's during accel...i was born with too much lead in my foot. Thats why i get about 14mpg everywhere. oh, and i go 85mph at about 2700rpm with 31's and stock gears.. but sometimes it goes past 85 and starts to shake. Its scary fun.:guitar:

Back