• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade D30 C Guessets

Cal, you haven't had any problems with this set up? I kind of like it, and may steal the idea when I build a new front

No it has been great. Things I will comment on:

You have to cut the coil buckets off and do new ones centered on the tube.

You need to ream the inside of the DOM for the bolt. We didn't, and the bolt is jammed in there. I have a .755 reamer for the next go round now.

Use a high quality FK PMX or similar rod end.

We have big brakes. The brake caliper and the nut for that trackbar bolt get VERY close to each other. Be mindful of that during fab.

No it has been great. Things I will comment on:

You need to ream the inside of the DOM for the bolt. We didn't, and the bolt is jammed in there. I have a .755 reamer for the next go round now.

Use a high quality FK PMX or similar rod end.

I should have done this when I built my D44, but I dont follow you on reaming the tube.

Are you saying the DOM tube has a slightly smaller ID than the 3/4'' bolt?

Im assuming the DOM is captured by the front and back by the two gussets? Besides the "OMG, single sheer" comments, I assume you didnt feel the need to run double sheer on that bolt? Based on the fact you fubared the knuckle and nothing else broke Im guessing you arnt having issues?

There was no way to run double sheer, its too tight.

Could not do this setup with a D44 knuckle, only XJ/TJ/JK stuff.

The bolt and the ID of the tube are just about the same diameter. The bolt went almost all the way in and we 'helped' it with a little sledgehammer, and have never been able to get it back out. :)

Mind you, that bolt is like 7 inches long, so its not a very tight interference, but a TON of contact surface.

Don't remove them, just have junk ones in there. When you get things that hot you want somethignt here to stop it from warping ;)

What about the risk of pressure in the ball joint?

I am thinking of stories like this: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f42/exploding-ball-joint-12197/

If the ball joint doesn't have a removable grease fitting perhaps drill a hole in the top?

I like the idea of the heat sink to prevent warping, but I am a bit leery of what heat could do to oil in a sealed environment.

Welding a gusset on won't put the kind of heat in that throwing a torch at it will..

but I have also never used a balljoint that doesn't have a grease fitting, either.

What about the risk of pressure in the ball joint?

I am thinking of stories like this: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f42/exploding-ball-joint-12197/

If the ball joint doesn't have a removable grease fitting perhaps drill a hole in the top?

I like the idea of the heat sink to prevent warping, but I am a bit leery of what heat could do to oil in a sealed environment.

The plastic races will melt and ooze out the contents before any real pressure is built.

Back