• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

Damn. Bad day for that guy..
Even in that situation where my life could have been in danger, I'm not sure how I'd feel knowing that I just took someone's life. However, in the "its me or him" state of mind, I'd sure be glad that it was him and not me. I'd have a strange couple months after the fact tho, just thinkin about all the different possible outcomes to that scenario.

I would have done the same thing. Adrenaline pumping and the guy had no idea if the crook was just going to wheel around the other side of the car and start shooting back.

Guess he just saved the courts some money. Nice final shot considering he was firing from an odd angle and unable to affectively aim.
This is what would complicate it for me. Yes, I understand the adrenaline and I'm not going to fault the guy for saving his own hide. Dead men tell no tales. However, ballistics does.

Firing after the threat has been eliminated (point of retreat in this case) and firing blindly could get someone into hot water. It almost appeared that the first second after he produced his own weapon, the guy started to run. I don't know about shots fired without audio, but it didn't take long for the threat to diminish, and the blind firing could be considered negligent.

I'm not saying the guy isn't justified or that I know exactly how I would conduct myself in the same situation, because I don't. I just hope he doesn't get the raw end of the deal for bureaucratic nonsense.
Damn. Bad day for that guy..
Even in that situation where my life could have been in danger, I'm not sure how I'd feel knowing that I just took someone's life. However, in the "its me or him" state of mind, I'd sure be glad that it was him and not me. I'd have a strange couple months after the fact tho, just thinkin about all the different possible outcomes to that scenario.
No. Doubt. I can't imagine ever having to even draw my weapon, let alone fire on someone. Well, I can imagine it or else I wouldn't have reason to be concerned enough to carry in the first place. But I'm sure the ramifications of taking someone's life would have terrible impact on me forever. But if it's him or me, I pick me.

Edit: It wasn't until the 3rd or 4th time I watched the video looking closer at the timing of his firing when I noticed that the bad guy had a buddy that high-tailed it pretty quickly. Early bird gets the worm, second mouse gets the cheese.

Last edited:
Just because the threat turns to run, NEVER means the threat has diminished. All that crook was doing was putting distance between himself and the victim's gun. He could have run to the building's corner and then re-engaged the victim. You shoot until the threat is no longer a threat. No longer a threat means he's down and no longer able to engage, or has retreated out of sight and likely no longer around.

Shoot until they drop. If the gun is still in their hand, cover at gunpoint and shoot again if the gun comes up again. Which is exactly what this victim did. He then moved in to remove the gun from the crook's hand which he didn't have to do but shows he wanted to bring the threat level down. (I'd have left the crook just as he was so the cops could see the gun in his hand and photograph the scene.... hindsight being 20/20)

That victim is likely very glad those cameras caught that crime.

just to correct some of your semantics... in my view, that defensive shooter is NOT a "victim", and that is the point. ;)

Yeah he still kinda is. He's gonna get the screws put to him in a typical police investigation, have to take time off from work for various things related to this incident, most crooks seem to have bucket-loads of family that will profess the crook's innocence and how great a kid he was and get the media all fired up, they'll try to sue him in civil court because some scumbag attorney will somehow find a loophole to get the video removed from court proceedings.........

This still ain't the wild west as far as shootings go....... the good guy doesn't get to ride off into the sunset with the townsfolk in total support of his good deed.

That's his becoming a victim of another perp -- the State -- he's only alive to do so because he refused to be a victim to the original criminal (as opposed to the criminal State...) :shhh:

Yeah yeah yeah. You'd think I'd know by now ya can't argue with damn attorneys..... Always steering things back in their favor....... :rolleyes:

:D

I can't be responsible for your guilt as "the man" on how innocent folks are victimized by the system :D

Is anybody familiar with Blackthorne's products? I've found a bunch of good and bad. Most of their bad reputation has been stemmed on their lack of customer service, their return policy and their untimely shipping methods.

I have their gas piston system for my AR on order. I've only found one review of it and the guy had his upper receiver getting shavings after only 30 rounds. This has started my inclination to cancelling the order.

I can't find a single thread about them or any of their prior names on AR15.com. Trying to get a reputable opinion on their piston. Someone with actual experience rather than "he said, she said" kind of things.

http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=574

The product description says all the right things... :dunno:

3K more verified signatures than needed to force a recall for Morse. He now has 15 days to challenge the signatures.

3K more verified signatures than needed to force a recall for Morse. He now has 15 days to challenge the signatures.

I see where his New York Funded group is already claiming the signatures should be invalid due to language in the recall petion paperwork.

Even if it succeeds and it start Morris has 15 days to resign his seat, if he does they appoint another Democrat to the position which then will hold it until 2014 elections.

2014 will be interesting, cant wait to see if we can make a statement in voting.

I'm meeting my dad at his place in Estes Park tomorrow then off to the local gun club. For Father's day he wanted to just kick back and pop off some rounds. :thumbup:

On the shoot list:
-Thompson .45 "Tommy Gun"
-M1 Garand
-.50 cal black powder
-AR15
-AK 47
-Mini 14
-Remington lever action .22LR
-Winchester semi auto .22
-870 12ga
-XDM .40
-Sig Sauer P226 9mm
-Sig Sauer P230 .380
-S&W 3913 9mm

..... And whatever else my pops feels like dragging out there from his "friend's" arsenal....:D

Since neither of us reloads, I'll post up the brass for anyone who wants it. :thumbup:

Nice I remember those days of all day plinking with my Dad. :(

Finally tool out the Mini huh?

:party:

Nice I remember those days of all day plinking with my Dad. :(

Finally tool out the Mini huh?

:party:

Yup! Finally shot the Mini. 30 rnds anyway. Gotta play with sight adjustment..... Shoots low.

Then aim high?

:looney:

That's what I did in order to get on target at 25 yards. Using the tip of the front sight put my rounds a couple inches below target. Centering the target on the middle of the front sight got the rounds just below center.

Yeah I'm not a fan of that front sight - big hoop with a needle. The sight line through the back ghost ring isn't bad, but trying to line up both rings and see the tip of the needle is difficult. The needle (particularly the tip) is blurry and hard to see being so thin.

EAG1403Blk.jpg

I think I might swap to something more like this...... if I ever get around to shooting it ever again....... :looney:

637423.jpg

That's what I did in order to get on target at 25 yards. Using the tip of the front sight put my rounds a couple inches below target. Centering the target on the middle of the front sight got the rounds just below center.

Yeah I'm not a fan of that front sight - big hoop with a needle. The sight line through the back ghost ring isn't bad, but trying to line up both rings and see the tip of the needle is difficult. The needle (particularly the tip) is blurry and hard to see being so thin.

I think I might swap to something more like this...... if I ever get around to shooting it ever again....... :looney:

637423.jpg

Yeah I cant for the life of me remember who made the front site slash flash hider in the first place. It was the same company that sold the barrel shroud.

Really needs some adjustable sights on the thing really if you are not planning on an optic of some sort. There is not a lot of options for that out there.

Blah, blah, blah, Blackthorne, blah, blah blah, piston, blah.
Cancelled the order. Used the funds to pick up a Spike's M16 BCG. Now all I need is a gas block, tube and hand guard cap. Then I'll have a fully operational AR. After I can save up the funds again, I'll buy a gas piston proper from Adams.

I talked a while back about building a .30cal AR for hunting and decided it wouldn't be worth the effort to spend the money. Well, I changed my mind. Again. The build in plan will be chambered in 7.62x39. When I get that Adams system for the 5.56, I'll keep the BCG for this build. Should handle the extra punch the ARx39 will have.

I think I'm making better choices.

Just in case you guys do decide to abide by the new HB1229 requiring background checks for all P-2-P sales, a bunch of the FFL dealers around me have been jacking up their prices.

DCF has gone from $30.00 to $55.00 virtually overnight.

Just an FYI.

Back