• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Great Deal on Bumpers?

I can tell you this.....

JCR supports this chapter.

The other guy don't.

That alone is worth it, toss in the fact that JCR makes seriously heavy duty stuff that has been tested on several MWC rigs and that should make it a no brainer. Save up a little more and go JCR.

Rev

Yes they do. My rails survived a 50 mph impact with a Benz and once I replace a pinch seam mount they are going to live on on the new rig!

Rev Den

With all due respect, I should explain myself better. I'm a college student with no disposable income. I asked for money for x-mas to continue building my jeep. I put my lift and tires on last year, but it's not ready for the trail. I have no idea when I will have extra money to spend. Believe me if I had the money there would not be any question, but I don't want to spend another year looking at pictures of cherokees off-road, and having my friends tell me how much fun they had at the badlands. I have the budget for a new bumper, a junkyard hitch, and hopefully a re-gear. I don't enjoy buying cheap parts and searching pick-a-parts in 20 degree weather, but I think it will be worth it when I finally get to go off road. All I want is someone who has built, seen, has, or has fabricated a bumper like shown opinion on if the bumper I found was a good price for what it was. As for questioning if I support the chapter; I thought the whole point of was to get fellow jeepers together that all supported each other and helped each other out, not getting them to buy sponsor's product. And this guy does support this chapter; he's in the area and he helps get people's jeeps off road for a reasonable price. I've spent countless hours helping friends work on their vehicles for nothing, and they would do the same for me, and that's what I think the NAXJA should be. I don't have a lot I can do for the chapter, but this is one way of showing support by helping members on a budget get their jeep off road.

JCR makes good stuff, period.
It's been proven time and time again.

It does not look like those sliders pictured from that guy bolt to the pinch seam.....that is a must.

Save your bones, buy JCR and never look back.

Rev Den

With all due respect, I should explain myself better. I'm a college student with no disposable income. I asked for money for x-mas to continue building my jeep. I put my lift and tires on last year, but it's not ready for the trail. I have no idea when I will have extra money to spend. Believe me if I had the money there would not be any question, but I don't want to spend another year looking at pictures of cherokees off-road, and having my friends tell me how much fun they had at the badlands. I have the budget for a new bumper, a junkyard hitch, and hopefully a re-gear. I don't enjoy buying cheap parts and searching pick-a-parts in 20 degree weather, but I think it will be worth it when I finally get to go off road. All I want is someone who has built, seen, has, or has fabricated a bumper like shown opinion on if the bumper I found was a good price for what it was. As for questioning if I support the chapter; I thought the whole point of was to get fellow jeepers together that all supported each other and helped each other out, not getting them to buy sponsor's product. And this guy does support this chapter; he's in the area and he helps get people's jeeps off road for a reasonable price. I've spent countless hours helping friends work on their vehicles for nothing, and they would do the same for me, and that's what I think the NAXJA should be. I don't have a lot I can do for the chapter, but this is one way of showing support by helping members on a budget get their jeep off road.

I have had some of the most fun I have ever had wheeling a near stock rig. I understand you are a college student but if you would not spend a ton of money on beer and pizza, You would have a lot of money for your rig. You can find some good deals on used stuff if you hang on. This guy looks like all he can use is 2x6 steel which IMO takes a lot of work to make it look good. Buy what you want but you are better off saving up another hundred bucks, which is NOT hard to do if you want something bad enough!

Rev Den

I don't think you're grasping the whole "MWC philosophy."

You don't need bumpers, different gears, or big tires to wheel and have fun. Some of the funnest wheeling I ever did was when I was on 30" tires. All of that extra stuff is just that.....extra. It's not needed at all. You would be surprised at what an XJ is capable of in stock form, I know I was/am. Lots of folks have wheeled in a stock Jeep and, there's nothing wrong with that at all. I kinda wish mine was a stocker again every once in a while.

We strive to support those that support us. JCR has been all over NAXJA,donating product and services for different events. They've even fed the whole crowd at WinterFest a few times. This other guy you speak of has yet to make an appearance as far as I know. Now, with that said; From a members (members are red letter supporters of this club) stand point wouldn't it make sence to support JCR since they help support our club?

Now, don't get me wrong here. There's nothing wrong with building on a tight budget. There has been thousands of people do it successfully. The biggest sacrifice doing this is that building on a budget usually takes time. Lots of time. That's just something that you'll have to accept.

Something else is that just because you're on a tight budget does not mean that you should skimp on things. Like has already been said, "you get what you pay for." Here comes that time thing again....save up and by quality stuff. If you buy junk, it'll break and then your budget takes another hit. Get product that has been proven to stand up to abuse. Nothing wrong with used stuff either. Check here in the classifieds and you'll find some great deals every so often......there's that time thing again.

There are meet and greets and wrenchfests that happen all the time in the MWC. I strongly encourage you to attend one, meet the great folks that are there and enjoy yourself. Winterfest would be a perfect opportunity to meet alot of the MWC and see what we're all about. It sounds like you may need to do a bit more research on how to get the best bang for your buck. Winterfest would be a great place to do that. You can speak face to face with people that have been in your position and see what has worked, what hasn't and the best way to go about things. NAXJA is a whole lot more than just a forum on the internet. Hope to see you there!

:cheers:

Last edited:
I totally agree that stock xj's can go off road. I had a lot of fun when I bought it, but I made the decision not to take it off road after I put the lift and tires on. What should've been an 8 hour install turned into a 30 hour nightmare. I'd soaked all the bolts for 3 days before we started. Every single bolt that needed taken out and put back in broke. Bolts holding the rear shock absorbers broke, had to drill out all 4, both nuts welded inside the frame for the front of the leaf spring broke. Actually called Rough Country before they broke to see what to do, said we had to break them to get them out, then had to cut the bolts, cut the frame, re-weld a new nut and then weld the frame back together. I would't wish that on my worst enemy. I'm pretty sure the previous owner hadn't touched anything, even the shock absorbers look like they were put on in the factory. So I'm dealing with 13 year old seized stock rusty bolts. The body's in great shape, no rust.........I feel like I'm rambling. Long story short, I'm babying the jeep right now until I'm confident in it. I want to regear mainly to get my mileage back, and when I first got it I changed the differential oil and it was really low and filthy. It's my DD and I can't afford for something to break while I'm wheeling. My front bumpers got a dent and I have recovery points. My grandpas got a winch in his barn he said he would get working for me so i want a bumper that will hold the winch. I have work on weekends and go to school during the week, so when I do get to wheel i can't always find someone to go with, that's why I want the winch. JCR has great stuff and I would love to have it, but I'm already being irresponsible building a Jeep when I have no money, I can't justify a lot for a bumper. I'll definitely buy JCR when I'm out of school b/c I'm jeep for life and they make great stuff, but I can't justify it right now. So will the bumper in the ad suit my needs? I've had nothing but jeeps and have been through some deep mud and steep hills, and I've only gotten stuck once. All it is is an insurance policy.

Every XJ winch bumper on the market is more then $65 extra. We charge $65 for a winch plate mount on a YJ/TJ/CJ bumper. XJ winch bumpers are built structures, not just a simple flat plate welded to the top of the bumper. This alone throws up caution signs that he has no idea how to build an XJ bumper. Even if you buy somewhere else, just be sure you get pictures of what is being sold! Or in the end, you will end up spending more money to get the crappy fabbed $200 bumper to fit your jeep then what it would have cost to buy from a reputable company.

Every XJ winch bumper on the market is more then $65 extra. We charge $65 for a winch plate mount on a YJ/TJ/CJ bumper. XJ winch bumpers are built structures, not just a simple flat plate welded to the top of the bumper. This alone throws up caution signs that he has no idea how to build an XJ bumper. Even if you buy somewhere else, just be sure you get pictures of what is being sold! Or in the end, you will end up spending more money to get the crappy fabbed $200 bumper to fit your jeep then what it would have cost to buy from a reputable company.

Thanks that's a lot of help. I'll talk to the guy later in the week to see if he's done a cherokee before and has a reference number. It looked like he knows how to weld so I might design something and see if he'll do it.

I totally agree that stock xj's can go off road. I had a lot of fun when I bought it, but I made the decision not to take it off road after I put the lift and tires on. What should've been an 8 hour install turned into a 30 hour nightmare. I'd soaked all the bolts for 3 days before we started. Every single bolt that needed taken out and put back in broke. Bolts holding the rear shock absorbers broke, had to drill out all 4, both nuts welded inside the frame for the front of the leaf spring broke. Actually called Rough Country before they broke to see what to do, said we had to break them to get them out, then had to cut the bolts, cut the frame, re-weld a new nut and then weld the frame back together. I would't wish that on my worst enemy. I'm pretty sure the previous owner hadn't touched anything, even the shock absorbers look like they were put on in the factory. So I'm dealing with 13 year old seized stock rusty bolts. The body's in great shape, no rust.........I feel like I'm rambling. Long story short, I'm babying the jeep right now until I'm confident in it. I want to regear mainly to get my mileage back, and when I first got it I changed the differential oil and it was really low and filthy. It's my DD and I can't afford for something to break while I'm wheeling. My front bumpers got a dent and I have recovery points. My grandpas got a winch in his barn he said he would get working for me so i want a bumper that will hold the winch. I have work on weekends and go to school during the week, so when I do get to wheel i can't always find someone to go with, that's why I want the winch. JCR has great stuff and I would love to have it, but I'm already being irresponsible building a Jeep when I have no money, I can't justify a lot for a bumper. I'll definitely buy JCR when I'm out of school b/c I'm jeep for life and they make great stuff, but I can't justify it right now. So will the bumper in the ad suit my needs? I've had nothing but jeeps and have been through some deep mud and steep hills, and I've only gotten stuck once. All it is is an insurance policy.

Is it really an insurance policy if it's shady in quality?...........and it's already been established that it is.

Save your money to get a better product sounds like a better deal than a cheaper lesser quality bumper ripping off taking the winch with it. I've seen it happen.

Parakeet

PM Eleduardok,

He just had a rear bumper made last week, 2 day turnaround, and It looks good.

Don't get me wrong, I love the JCR products, and I have them front and rear (stage 3 front, stage 2 rear). However I now need a winch bumper, and I think i'm going to have him build it.

My grandpas got a winch in his barn he said he would get working for me so i want a bumper that will hold the winch. I have work on weekends and go to school during the week, so when I do get to wheel i can't always find someone to go with, that's why I want the winch.

A winch is no guarantee that you'll get yourself unstuck. I'd much prefer to travel with others instead of solo. With any type of winching or recovery by a second vehicle, you'll definitely need uni-body tie-in brackets to connect the front bumper to the Jeep -- otherwise you'll stand a good chance of ripping the bumper clean off. That'll add another $40-$50 to your bumper cost.

I just bought a JCR Offroad front bumper before Christmas, and currently have a matching one for the rear on order with them. Like yourself, I considered having someone local fabricate one for me. One is a good friend of mine who works at a fabricating shop, the other is my brother's best friend who works at a local steel mill. Both said that they'd build my bumper for just the cost of materials. When I showed them the JCR Offroad bumper photos online, BOTH STATED THAT THEIR MATERIALS WOULD COST MORE THAN WHAT I COULD BUY ONE FROM JCR FOR, AND THAT I'D BE A FOOL NOT TO BUY FROM JCR.

I'd recommend that you get a JCR Offroad Stage 2 front bumper and tie-ins for right around $350 shipped (unless you are close enough to their Michigan shop to drive there for pick-up to save $45). Then, fabricate a winch mount that fits into the front 2" receiver.

here's a thought, buy what you want, what you can afford and it'll be be better than the stock bumper. I've seen guys at w/f with wood bumpers.

have fun

Dan, you beat me to it..I was thinking about Brad bolting on wood bumpers just to pass tech....and he wheeled them for the following year too! The bumper debates go on about every 6 months, so I figured it was time to see one again :D

Has anyone ran a locker in the snow? Should I put it in the front or rear? :D:D

Most importantly, like Dan stated...HAVE FUN! (but be safe while doing so!)

Nate builds some great bumpers. I bought 1 winch, 1 non winch front, and 1 rear bumpers from him. Good quality and a low price.

http://nates4x4.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=e73f9bced0d0626d239af844d65fcb98

i have the nates4x4 front non winch, it ties in to the "frame" good and i have pulled others with it a couple times, when i bought mine it was a little better sale so i got it a lot cheaper but i also had to wait damn near 4 months for it if you do a search for nates you will find a lot of negative feed back i beleve since then he has turned his business around from what i have read

with that said, i still wish i had a JCR bumper cause i think they look much better, when it comes time for a rear bumper i will more than likely go with JCR

HTH that nates4x4 is about the same price as the CL special your looking at

I'm too poor to buy cheap...

mac 'save up for the good stuff so you don't have to replace it again' gyvr

i have the nates4x4 front non winch, it ties in to the "frame" good and i have pulled others with it a couple times, when i bought mine it was a little better sale so i got it a lot cheaper but i also had to wait damn near 4 months for it if you do a search for nates you will find a lot of negative feed back i beleve since then he has turned his business around from what i have read

with that said, i still wish i had a JCR bumper cause i think they look much better, when it comes time for a rear bumper i will more than likely go with JCR

HTH that nates4x4 is about the same price as the CL special your looking at

I wouldn't pay Nates for anything after the crap he's pulled since I've been on this forum! Some people get their stuff on time but most have to wait A LONG TIME to get one!

Brian and Daryl and the others at JCR will take care of you! :cheers:

Yeah, his name is Nuzzy.:D

I knew there were only one or two more people. I couldn't think of his name either or i would have mentioned him! :laugh3:

I knew there were only one or two more people. I couldn't think of his name either or i would have mentioned him! :laugh3:
Some people do call him Eric.

Back