• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Global Warming Strikes Again

Will the coast make it all the way to New Mexico? We have this huge sandy beach (White Sands Nat'l Monument) but no water :(

Global warming is NOT a joke. It's real, and as you describe, it happens throughout the life of the planet. Though, it doesn't have anything to do with "restoring balance". It's just a series of events that play on each other through time.

Man-made global warming is what everyone is concerned about. Since there does not seem to be concrete, irrefutable proof otherwise, I think it's safe to assume that man DOES contribute to global warming though maybe not to the extremes as some people think.

I nominate this as the most intelligent post of this thread. . . .

:roflmao:

I knew you would respond to this :D

There are two ways to get you all riled up......well, that I know of

(but yes, I do agree with you...however, I refuse to call it global warming, it is simply climate change, because, while some parts of the Earth are warming, others are getting colder....parts of the ice caps are melting, while others are freezing. The part that pisses me off is the envirohippies claiming it is 100% human fault and that we better buy up their carbon credits. Funny, because many of these same people are also animal lovers, and if they'd eat more cows, there'd be less methane "polluting" the atmosphere)

I for one am gonna go grill a steak or 3 and do my part to stop "climate change"

:thumbup:

:roflmao:

I knew you would respond to this :D

There are two ways to get you all riled up......well, that I know of

(but yes, I do agree with you...however, I refuse to call it global warming, it is simply climate change, because, while some parts of the Earth are warming, others are getting colder....parts of the ice caps are melting, while others are freezing. The part that pisses me off is the envirohippies claiming it is 100% human fault and that we better buy up their carbon credits. Funny, because many of these same people are also animal lovers, and if they'd eat more cows, there'd be less methane "polluting" the atmosphere)

I for one am gonna go grill a steak or 3 and do my part to stop "climate change"

:thumbup:

I wouldn't say 'riled-up', more like irritated with the complete lack of critical thought in some of the posts that have been vomited up on this thread. . . .

Like you said about the enviro-nazis, there's extremism and stupidity on both sides of the issue. I personally don't care where 'global climate change' is coming from, it's too late for us to stop it if 'we' did make it happen. And it's not like the world is going to end, it's just going to change and we will have to adapt to that change. SO FRIGGING WHAT?!

But if we are responsible (which think we do have some part in 'global climate change) to some degree, I do believe that we can lessen the severity of the transition and impact that 'global climate change' will bring.

It's going to cost us money, people will starve, economies will shift, etc. .. Really, how is that any different than anything that has happened in the past?

BTW, it's purely absurd and ignorant to think that we human can't affect our planet on a whole.

I think its a bit egotistical to think that we're so glorious, we have as much of an effect as SOME people think....that big nuclear reactor sitting 93 million miles away has more of an effect on our climate than we could ever dream of, and more of an effect than enviro-nazis realize.

My other issue is tree huggers in our own country bitching about us, when we have the strictest environmental controls in the world (which is why we can't seem to get a new nuclear reactor or oil refinery built in this country), while you have China and its billion people, all driving cars, going thru their own industrial revolution, but probably on a scale 10x as much as ours was 120 years ago, spewing out TONS more "bad stuff" than we ever have. Hell, did you see that they had to shut down like half of their industry prior to the Olympics, just so the air was somewhat breathable for the athletes to compete in?

Global warming is such a joke. Anyone who has done minimal research on the history of earth can see that the planet warms and cools naturally and has been doing so for thousands of years. That is nature's way of restoring balance to the earth. What we contribute has very little to do with global warming. Besides, nature will adjust accordingly, without the approval of man.

i agree

I think its a bit egotistical to think that we're so glorious, we have as much of an effect as SOME people think....that big nuclear reactor sitting 93 million miles away has more of an effect on our climate than we could ever dream of, and more of an effect than enviro-nazis realize.

My other issue is tree huggers in our own country bitching about us, when we have the strictest environmental controls in the world (which is why we can't seem to get a new nuclear reactor or oil refinery built in this country), while you have China and its billion people, all driving cars, going thru their own industrial revolution, but probably on a scale 10x as much as ours was 120 years ago, spewing out TONS more "bad stuff" than we ever have. Hell, did you see that they had to shut down like half of their industry prior to the Olympics, just so the air was somewhat breathable for the athletes to compete in?

Three points.

1. Did you ever think about who spends the most money to keep new nuclear power plants from being built? Try looking at the coal industry and their lobbyist. Take a gander at how much money they spend on lobbying.

2. You mention China and their activities. . . you realize that you are using the argument of 'everybody is doing, so why can't I?' Really? Come on, I know you can do better than that. That's no justification.

No, I'm saying we're doing a lot, but 1/2 the world isn't doing jack shit. Yet enviro-nazis in this country are never satisfied. Any solution is met with more bitching...whether its hydro, nuclear, wind, solar....they bitch about EVERYTHING.

So I guess thats why Obamama wants to shut down the coal industry completely?

Originally Posted by:
seanR;
I cant wait for the Ice Caps to melt,
Then it will be a 1hr, 45 min drive to the Gulf Coast!
I will buy a vacation home on the beach in Peoria.
DrMoab;
Yep and all the New Yorkers will have to move in with you. Good luck! :D
just watch The Day After Tomorrow. Everything in that movie is based on actual events, I swear
So the good news is;
everyone in New York city and most of New Jersey will either drown or freeze to death before they have time to change the channel to the news!party1:

No, I'm saying we're doing a lot, but 1/2 the world isn't doing jack shit. Yet enviro-nazis in this country are never satisfied. Any solution is met with more bitching...whether its hydro, nuclear, wind, solar....they bitch about EVERYTHING.

So I guess thats why Obamama wants to shut down the coal industry completely?

Thank you for clarifying. . . and of course they will never be happy. Someone will always be unhappy. That's just life.

As for the coal industry and Obama. . . well, we will just have to wait and see what happens there. I think it would be irrational to pull the plug on coal. But 'clean' coal is a utter farce. If it were up to me and I were in Obama's shoes, I would fast track nuke power plants, halt coal power plant construction, and start dumping money into coal to synthetic fuel processes and other alt-fuels.

Pretty good documentary/series called "Catastrophe" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1329590/
Discusses various times in the Earths past, when the balance got screwed up for whatever reason and some of the apparent consequences.
They say somewhere between an average temperature rise of 40-45 degrees Fahrenheit (5-8 degrees Celsius), strange things happen to the basic chemistry in the atmosphere, some of the Earths more basic/abundant compounds and what sorts of bacteria thrive.

Thank you for clarifying. . . and of course they will never be happy. Someone will always be unhappy. That's just life.

As for the coal industry and Obama. . . well, we will just have to wait and see what happens there. I think it would be irrational to pull the plug on coal. But 'clean' coal is a utter farce. If it were up to me and I were in Obama's shoes, I would fast track nuke power plants, halt coal power plant construction, and start dumping money into coal to synthetic fuel processes and other alt-fuels.

Many retirement and investment funds are heavy into the power industries, same as they were into the telco, ATT, etc. Thats who is fighting it. They are also behind hydrogen development. You cannot convince me that if it costs $20K to build a custom NASA hydrogen fuel cell for the shuttle that they would not drop to the $2k range if they built a million of them to Ford/GM/Chrylser standards. Just like nuclear reactors, every civilian reactor is a custom job, the Navy has been building them for over 50 years and keep improving them with every 'release', they have it down to a science. Plus now those new ones in the $10 million range for 'local' use that will power 20,000homes are looming on the horizon, those must be giving the power brokers fits...
As for hydrogen fuel cells, those would be a good answer to the hybrid battery problem, be nice if you could swap out $6,000 worth of battery pack for a $2-4K hydrogen to electric fuel cell.

The weather is rarely average. Global cooling, global warming, and climate change are just catch praises for raising tax funds to make someone rich.

Just look at PETA. They kill 97% of the animals they “rescue”. Its cheaper, more money for it executives.

So go out there, have some fun smoking your tires climbing that next hill. Then go out to your local steak house. The methane producing cattle ranchers need your support.

I was in Madison, Wisconsin a couple days ago. It was raining. What do warm enough temperatures in Wisconsin for rain in late December say to me about global warming/climate change (whatever you want to call it)? Not much, no more than snow in Houston or Las Vegas. Doesn't say much to me at all because I know the difference between weather and climate. Reading this thread you'd swear there are those that are unable to make that distinction.

Prior to the advent of the industrial revolution the world was experiencing what is refered to as the "Little Ice Age". So there certainly is an association between greenhouse gas emissions and climate change. While an association proves nothing, it certainly gives pause for objective consideration. Weather and climate are exceedingly complex phenonena. The only thing that is certain is that those that are 100% certain one way or the other regarding humanity as a source of global warming should not be taken seriously.

Last edited:
I wish my bride would have let me send these out this year...

Three points.

1. Did you ever think about who spends the most money to keep new nuclear power plants from being built? Try looking at the coal industry and their lobbyist. Take a gander at how much money they spend on lobbying.

2. You mention China and their activities. . . you realize that you are using the argument of 'everybody is doing, so why can't I?' Really? Come on, I know you can do better than that. That's no justification.

What's your third point? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something...

Back