• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fordyce Trail

LAst time through, I filled the distributor with water. Had to stop and drain it.

My intake has only been a problem once on that trail, and I only sucked a bit of water.

I have a 9" K&N mounted where the factory airbox is. Actually, i think the factory box is better than most because it takes a while for it to fill up.

The over the top airtube seems to be the best solution, without going full snorkel. It's likely how I will adapt mine so I don't hurt the new bling-bling motor.

CRASH

What about drilling some holes in the bottom of the factory air box so the water can drain out? Smog shop would never notice them....

Any ideas on sealing the distributor?

Goatman said:
What about drilling some holes in the bottom of the factory air box so the water can drain out? Smog shop would never notice them....

I wouldn't worry about it. The water really shouldn't be an issue(I hope :) ). If it's so deep that you're going to have problems it's gonna be half way up my windsheild. :D

Jes

Jes said:
I wouldn't worry about it. The water really shouldn't be an issue(I hope :) ). If it's so deep that you're going to have problems it's gonna be half way up my windsheild. :D

Jes

Yeah, you're right........you know me, I like to be prepared. :)

Worst case scenario......we send Matt swimming to the other side and have him pull us across.

You have to be creative when utilizing the Matt-tool.

CRASH

I hope that fawker is coming....no registration from him yet.

Richard, I've heard of people smearing grease all over their distributer, relay box, that computer thingy, etc. I don't think either of us really want to smear grease all over our oh so pretty rigs, but it's an idea. We could just do like the locals, down a 12 pack and hit the skinny pedal :gee: It might not be an issue, up here it's been a dry winter with below average rainfall and a warm spring which has been melting off the snowpack earlier than usual. I'm not sure what it's like down there, wish we knew a state hydrologist or some one like that. Anyway it sound like Jes and Andy are willing to test the water first, let's just follow them!

I just ordered a CA smog legal intake tube ('88 model) with cone filter from XJ Armor. He said they tested them in water, and it will suck air better than water, so if the bottom of the filter is in water it will suck the air from the top before sucking water through the bottom. Seems to make sense, just don't get the filter too deep for too long.

I'm like Andy, just don't want to mess up a new stroker motor, especially on the first day of a weeks vacation.

I went up last weekend and at the first crossing the water is only 24 inches if you stay left. There is one other crossing that came to the top of my 35s. A stock airbox should be fine if you've got 7" lift and 35s.

For finding Fordyce and the Eagle Lakes Rd. exit, head east on I-80 about 1 hour (70ish miles) from Sacramento, it's the next exit past the Hwy. 20 exit. If you're planning on going all the way up to Meadow and out Hwy. 89 to Truckee, it get's a little tricky and best to have someone that knows the way.

Goatman said:
I just ordered a CA smog legal intake tube ('88 model) with cone filter from XJ Armor. He said they tested them in water, and it will suck air better than water, so if the bottom of the filter is in water it will suck the air from the top before sucking water through the bottom. Seems to make sense, just don't get the filter too deep for too long.

I'm like Andy, just don't want to mess up a new stroker motor, especially on the first day of a weeks vacation.

Deep water sucks. I hydro locked my 91' Wrangler years ago at the Badlands in Indiana & got some water in my tranny in my 98' grand cherokee recently on the Lost Coast trail run. It sure can do some damage. I have a k&n cone filter and heard that since you oil it, it should be less likely to take in water past it. I hope this is right. I'm sure it does a better job than the stock panel filter and the low air intake up front. I like to mount my cone as high as possible. It sure gets muddy/dirt fast since it is an open element filter. Rusty's off-road has a good deal on the k&n cone and cat back jeep systems.
Troy

What I have done in the past is run a bead of silicone around the distributor cap and pull the vent cap from the center of the distributor and run it to a higher location

Goatman said:

Goatman said:
Ok, so no one actually answered this question. What type of intake do you guys have, those who run Fordyce regularly? With our lift height, is it an issue? I still have the stock air box, and can't see dipping the nose into the water up to the hood. Is the turbo city intake that goes back over the top of the valve cover a good idea, or are the other brands that leave the cone filter in the stock location good enough?

I know to get the diff/trans vents up high.....anything else an XJ needs for water that deep?
Richard I ran it last month on 35's and 6 1/2 lift...I didnt get any water in my stock box.
You need to cross before 5pm because the water start getting really high around that time.... enough for mine to start floating down stream :helpme:

all i can say is DAMMMNNNNNNNNN...............

Kris

:shocked:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258766
rolling.JPG

over.JPG

Back