• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fordyce Trail

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Where are we camping on Friday night? I know you Sac guys can stay at home and drive up Sat AM, but the rest of us will be arriving sometime on Friday. I'd gladly stay with one of you, but I'm planning on leaving my tow rig at the staging area near Tahoe.

Also, what are some ideas on what to do to be ready for the water crossings on Fordyce? I'm assuming I need to ditch my stock air box, what else?

Is the water level really going to be that high? Call me a puss. the bottom of
my headlight is 40" of the ground. If the water is going to be that deep I might have to miss Fordyce.

Goatman said:
Where are we camping on Friday night? I know you Sac guys can stay at home and drive up Sat AM, but the rest of us will be arriving sometime on Friday. I'd gladly stay with one of you, but I'm planning on leaving my tow rig at the staging area near Tahoe.

Also, what are some ideas on what to do to be ready for the water crossings on Fordyce? I'm assuming I need to ditch my stock air box, what else?

Now that I have his address, I was planning on staying at Andy's. Actually I thought all of us are. I hear the breakfast is great! :chef:

There is a campground right at the beginning of Fordyce, about .5 miles from the exit off of the freeway at Eagle Lakes Road. It is free, and will be our staging area Saturday morning. You actually turn in to the campground to start the trail, it is to your right.

If, for some reason, it is crowded, just drive into the trail a bit, and there are plenty of unofficial campsites on both sides. Usually, the campground is lightly populated.

Richard, you pansy, don't trailer your junk. This trip is SOOOOO much easier without a trailer!

CRASH

CRASH said:
Richard, you pansy, don't trailer your junk. This trip is SOOOOO much easier without a trailer!

CRASH

Can you believe it.......now I'm taking crap for trailering.

Yeah, it would be easier without the trailer, but I can't run Barrett so when I finish the 'Con I'm gone. I might drive, we'll see. I've been thinking about going to Tuolomne Meadows in Yosemite and over Tioga Pass, which I'd do if I just drove the Jeep.

So, what are you planning at your house on Friday night......worth coming over? :)

CRASH said:
There is a campground right at the beginning of Fordyce, about .5 miles from the exit off of the freeway at Eagle Lakes Road.

CRASH
Ummm, gee CA is a really big state, you think that you could narrow that search range down for us a bit? Maybe give us the freeway number? Is it near any "towns"? Or should we all just run a mapquest search on "Silverleaf Dr"? :party1:

Paul S said:
Getting back on topic, can we confirm that Andy will host everyone Friday night, offer-up his famous home made Sushi, & of course have an open bar?
Paul

All the box wine we can put down? Are we still doing the wine thing on the trail? Or did I miss the joke? I have a couple nice Spanish reds to bring.

Erik said:
Ummm, gee CA is a really big state, you think that you could narrow that search range down for us a bit? Maybe give us the freeway number? Is it near any "towns"? Or should we all just run a mapquest search on "Silverleaf Dr"? :party1:

The Eagle Lakes exit is right before the town of Cisco Grove off of I-80 heading east and maybe 12-15 miles east of Truckee. I don't know the exit#, but when your within 15 miles of Truckee, keep your eyes peeled for the exit. :scared: This is a very scenic and fun trail, I just went 2-1/2 hrs into it after getting a late start on it, after I did the Signal Peak trail 1st with an organized group. Signal Peak is very mild and is mostly under shade trees. It is a right at the gravel parking lot/toilets. For the Fordyce trail, you keep going straight past the gravel parking lot/toilets and will see signs from then on.
Troy

Dave, yes, we are doing the wine thing.

Richard, drive your junk.

Erik, you suck at the internet.

Paul, I just remodeled my house, and don't want unkempt SoCal rufians soiling my place!

Seriously though, if you SoCal boyz need a place to party and hang out, we can BBQ at my place Friday night. I'm sure I'll still be assembling Princess II, so I'll likely need a hand.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Seriously though, if you SoCal boyz need a place to party and hang out, we can BBQ at my place Friday night. I'm sure I'll still be assembling Princess II, so I'll likely need a hand.

CRASH

Last year when we all crashed at a fellow Sierra Chapter members house and finished his rig the night before a Rubicon trip, he didn't quite make it to the trailhead and had to be towed back home..........you're not going to let the same thing happen, are you?

Hey I think I found it! Is that Eagle Lakes exit right around N39 19' 15" W120 33' 55"? There's a Fordyce Cr right there in the area. Thanks for the tip Steinjeep! Do we just in/out the same trail, or do we loop around the lake and Fordyce Summit?

Hey I just noticed that we're past the deadline for sign-ups. Who all put-up? Andy you still coming with us? :party:

Erik said:
Hey I just noticed that we're past the deadline for sign-ups. Who all put-up? Andy you still coming with us? :party:

Quiet down there Marlboro man, I'll be there.

I'm shooting for July 4th as my test weekend.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Quiet down there Marlboro man, I'll be there.

I'm shooting for July 4th as my test weekend.

CRASH

You want to run the Fordyce trail 4th of July weekend as a test, or the Rubicon. I'd like to plan on joining you as I'll have a 3 day weekend Sat/Sun/Mon off of work and want to get some wheeling in. When are you guys meeting & starting the Fordyce trail in August for your the Fordyce/Rubicon/Barrett Lake circuit run? I could meet up with you guys Saturday morning. I'm wrapping up things on my jeep too like my hood vents, Durabak exterior liner, arb wiring, "1-2 gear mod", lighting, etc. I really want to get a good amount of wheeling in this summer as I have wanted to do these trails for 6 or more years now ever since I got into wheeling and couldn't do much about it in Chicago. I'm very deprived. :D
Troy

I have no plans for that weekend other than a shakedown cruise, maybe on my top-secret local playground.

Got to get some air under the tires to make sure the suspension cycles properly.

CRASH

steinjeep said:
You want to run the Fordyce trail 4th of July weekend as a test, or the Rubicon. I'd like to plan on joining you as I'll have a 3 day weekend Sat/Sun/Mon off of work and want to get some wheeling in. When are you guys meeting & starting the Fordyce trail in August for your the Fordyce/Rubicon/Barrett Lake circuit run? I could meet up with you guys Saturday morning. I'm wrapping up things on my jeep too like my hood vents, Durabak exterior liner, arb wiring, "1-2 gear mod", lighting, etc. I really want to get a good amount of wheeling in this summer as I have wanted to do these trails for 6 or more years now ever since I got into wheeling and couldn't do much about it in Chicago. I'm very deprived. :D
Troy

Are you sure that you want to do your hood vents before Fordyce? I've seen a lot of pictures of XJ's with water up over the tops of people's hoods on that trail. Depending on how you build yours, they may just let water in more easily. If you leave your hood intact, it helps create an air pocket under the hood, giving you more time to get your rig across the river before it starts sucking water into the engine. Just a thought, it may not be an issue for you however you plan to do it.

Ok, so no one actually answered this question. What type of intake do you guys have, those who run Fordyce regularly? With our lift height, is it an issue? I still have the stock air box, and can't see dipping the nose into the water up to the hood. Is the turbo city intake that goes back over the top of the valve cover a good idea, or are the other brands that leave the cone filter in the stock location good enough?

I know to get the diff/trans vents up high.....anything else an XJ needs for water that deep?

Back