• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Ranger VS Jeep XJ

i dunno bout racing but depending on when i'l throw my rig in there as a support vehicle :D lets make a weekend outta this!

I am so in for a $100.00. Jim you are the Man, but I have got to say, I have ridden in many piece of crap rangers that out perform any XJ other than some killer linked XJ. Plus the 4 bangers really work well, they are so light. No doubt the XJ is a way better all around vehicle, The exact reason I own one, For the money I have in my XJ, A ranger would have been killer, just not practical like the XJ. How many vehicles can pre-run and go to Moab!

Last edited:
I am right there with ya Rich!!! XJ hands down for all around usage!

Ok, so the next More Race is the 18th of July, obviously too soon. But the one after is in Sept I think, so we could go out a couple weeks prior to the race, and do this while pre running the course!!!

Oh yeahhhhh! Rich, you going to come out?

I might! Even though the Ranger is going to spank the XJ, I am cheering for Jim!!!! Jim's passion for his XJ is Top's. I just wish I could Borrow something with a big Frickin motor to bring out! It's time to strap Jim in to a godly amount of HP!

Best posts in a long time. Fun to shoot the shit about all of our B.S opinion's.

I disagree. For the money you won't.

If we're talking building both to their potential using stock style suspension, yes, the Ranger is going to most likely hand you your ass. It's IFS, that's where the XJ falls behind. With that being said, if your buddy put the same amount of $$ into his suspension as I have my XJ, I'd probably give him a pretty good run for his money, and most likely walk him. XJ's are cheap to build.

Also, look at the times between the 1450 class and the 1700 class. The times are pretty damn close between the two, 1450 class is stock style suspension btw, leaf spring, etc.

I've surprised quite a few rangers, but you won't get any of the ranger guys to really admit that.

With that being said, if I were going to build something, and money wasn't an issue, it wouldn't be an XJ. I'd build a standard cab short bed f150, linked and beamed and call it a day.
x2 the only dfference is ifs and solid axle you could put a ifs on an xj with a big ass v8 and whoop just as much ass as a ranger

Rich, ask one of your buddies to let you borrow something with power and travel!!

Hey Jim, so if your strapping on 2.5's, doesnt that put your XJ a bit over the entry level similar spend.... .that puts you in the 10K-15K ranger type doesnt it? Cause if so, then I can bring out a Ranger with a bit more work done.. hahahah

Oh and guys, this is not me being a Ford lover, or a XJ Hater, for the record!! I loved my XJ, enjoyed the living crap out of my XJ, I just do not wheel Moab, or rocks, and prefer to be in the desert.

I at one point was as passionate about getting my XJ to work better than the Rangers and Yotas of the desert, and then I got to a point......... a juncture where I realized IFS would get me through the desert faster.....

And just so there is no doubt, a little picture to remember the ragtop!!

DSC_0636.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

Is there a better platform for a pre runner\ trail rig (has to have 4x4)????????????

V-8 explorer with front and rear nines with coilovers front and rear?

Easy now FordGuy!

Back