• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fall Fling 2014 Would you show up?

Been trying to do this event for over 10 years. BUT...

School and kids are always in the way...
If it's not my kids, it was me. Now that it is not me, it is my wife.
She ended up taking this quarter off, but i was so focused on Octoberfest (Leavenworth, WA) [which was a crazy blast], I actually forgot about Moab.

I am already budgeting for Octoberfest, next year. And will start stuffing extra funds away for Moab. If Danielle is not in school, we will be there.

I am so upset I missed this years, when I had been planning half the year to attend! Thanks to a few suppliers that sent incorrect parts which I had to ship back for replacement, I was unable to finish a few last minute projects on the Jeep.

Now that the Jeep is ready, I would definitely be in for next year.

I would definitely consider it if my new job goes well, If my finances stay roughly the same though I would likely have to wait until the next anniversary event.
If I could swing it I would love to...

I also would like to get around to some other Naxja events like maybe the Crawl, money and time permitting ..

We could also resurrect the Spring IC Moab trip for those who want a shorter, more casual trip. Put an invite in non-tech or the foreign chapter forums.

I can not honestly say if I will make the 2014 Fall Fling. I only get 2 weeks PTO, I had to take a couple of unpaid weeks to fit in everything I wanted to do this year. The raffle and dinners really have no bearing on my decision. Seeing old friends and meeting new ones while wheeling beautiful and challenging trails is the main attraction for me.

Alex, a spring run for the IC chapter would be great to do again but I don't see two huge Moab events happening each year. I think if we had a spring run it would be small, maybe even the type where we pick a single trail to run each day and have the entire group run that trail. At least that's how I see it in my head. I think Fall Fling...at least in the non-anniversery years should continue to be the IC's main event with a good raffle and dinner. It would bring in the out of chapter guys because it already has a following and honestly, Fall is the best time of year to be in Moab.
We have already planned several long-distance family visit vacations for next year, so 2014 is probably out for us. But we would definitely like to get back to Moab before the 35th anniversary event.

That said, I'm very interested to hear what you have in mind. Do tell!

It's not that I really have anything "in mind" I just think it would be cool for the chapter to put forth an effort to make this a great event again, even in the off years. 04-05-06 we had almost as many rigs show up as we did at the 20th and 25th and maybe even more than we had show up this year. While I won't be running for a chapter BOD position I'd like to help the chapter and whoever is running for BOD put on a successful event.

In the years past we ran it pretty much like this year with the exception of all the extra activities. We didn't have extra chapter BBQ's, no show and shine, just a Friday night dinner and raffle, tshirts and several trails each day.

Well, keep us updated on your plans. As it starts to come together, perhaps you could post lot of photos from this year's event and really sell it.
icon10.gif

Maybe... just maybe, I could convince my sweet bride to make the trek two years in a row.

I have already put this on my 'to do list'. The only reason I didn't make it this year was some family was supposed to come out for Balloon Fiesta. They canceled last minute and the heep wasn't ready so I stayed home! I am telling the family that I will not be home next year for Balloon Fiesta so don't bother trying to make it out.

i'll weigh in here. being an East coaster, the trip west is limited by funding and the fact that it uses up almost 2 weeks of vacation time. my first trip out was for the 20th anniversary and from the day i left i was already planning to make a return trip. which i made 2 1/2 years later for your chapter's Spring Fling.
if i were closer to the area, i'd consider annual visits a requirement.
that being said, as the kids get older i'm eyeing a move out west...

I have been 3 times in the last 5 years, '08, '11 and last week. I miss it already and would go again. Wheeling Moab with fellow XJers is my "happy place".

Odd.

I was just telling ForeWheeler that we need to do this trip more than every five years.

I did commit 5 years ago to making the anniversary trips every five years for as long as I physically can.

With racing pretty much out of my life at the moment, I'm considering trying to make as many NAXJA chapter events as I can in 2014. Moab will always be near the top of that list. The baby will be two, and probably old enough to bring along. My buddies used to go every year before we all started racing, but they last went in 2005...might be able to talk some of them into a trip (they were going in aug...I went in aug in 2003...said I was never going back in august).

PS I could enjoy the event more if I didn't have to help with it :)

mac 'got me thinking' gyvr

Fly Out To Sacramento For Sierrafest. You Can Drive Me Around In My Rig All week.

The kids are the hardest part to swing. I have to have someone to watch them the whole time we're gone and make sure they get to school, etc. I'm not sure how many favors I have left with the in-laws.

I could fly out, but that leaves the wife with the kids and I already do that enough she's considering not letting me have sex with her anymore.

Pending funds, I would be willing to get to moab again. Not sure if it will happen in 2014 tho. Have a few trips in the works already. Still a while tho.

Back