• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Event Trail Leaders needed + BONUS-Free Raffle Tickets!

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
Folks, we are 10 days out from the start of the event and we need more people to step up and lead trails. Leading a trail does NOT require intimate knowledge of every inch of the trail and the ability to name each obstacle in order, forwards and back.

It does require the ability to operate your own rig, possess a fully functional CB and use it to communicate with your group, and the ability to keep the group together. Tailgunners will be there to assist as well.

The majority of the trails around Moab are well marked and there are map/GPS resources available to guide you along the way.

It will be disappointing if we have to cancel trails due to lack of leaders.

As an added incentive, NAXJA is offering 10 Free Raffle tickets for the General Raffle (Vendor gear, NOT the Giveaway XJ) to each Trail Leader, as a way to show appreciation to those who step up as Trail Leaders.
The math is simple- lead 1 Trail on the NAXJA Schedule, and get 10 Free Raffle tickets, lead 2 Trails…..get 20 Free Raffle tickets. Free tickets will be handed out to Trail Leaders on Friday evening, prior to the General Raffle.

Attached is the current trail list: http://www.naxja.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4559&d=1378084155
Please review and PM me if you are willing to step up and lead. Feel free to suggest an alternate trail that you are willing to lead, if a trail leader slot is open on the schedule, alternate trails will be considered.

Thanks in advance to all who have already volunteered to lead!

Last edited:
if I had ever been to Moab I would be down for doing this. idk. let me talk it over with my passengers. maybe I can get my hands on a handheld cb.

I volunteered to be a trail leader about June, but no one contacted me. Now, I need to see if I even have a rig to go. I went through mine Saturday, found dust in the throttle body, so I cleaned it, checked the TPS, replaced the air filter and then drove it to work. When I came out, it wouldn't start and I have no fuel pressure at the fuel rail, although I pulled the fuel pump and it is working. The fuel pump relay is also working; I checked. Back to the request: I volunteered previously and I will be glad to lead, but I need functional vehicle. If that happens I'll be back online.

if I had ever been to Moab I would be down for doing this. idk. let me talk it over with my passengers. maybe I can get my hands on a handheld cb.

$80... w/Amazon Prime you'll have it in a day for $3.99. I'm gonna order one now since my cb in the jeep isn't working properly....I mean, you're already spending a couple grand, what's $80! :D

Last edited:
$80... w/Amazon Prime you'll have it in a day for $3.99. I'm gonna order one now since my cb in the jeep isn't working properly....I mean, you're already spending a couple grand, what's $80! :D

CB radios are a key component to effective communication on the trail.

They are invaluable to give instruction to the entire group, check on status when rigs are out of eyesight/earshot/no cell service, call for assistance, provide spotting instructions without having to get out of your rigs (really nice in a downpour or dust storm), communication between the leader and tailgunner.....not to mention installing an optional PA horn so you can give cat-calls to the local gals from the comfort of your rig. :D

I dont really know much about CBs. dont I have to buy a stupid huge antenna if I want to be able to hear the guy 50' from me? I just know a friend of mine had one and I could never understand anything anyone ever said.

and thats 80$ in raffel tickets I wont be able to buy!

Last edited:
I dont really know much about CBs. dont I have to buy a stupid huge antenna if I want to be able to hear the guy 50' from me? I just know a friend of mine had one and I could never understand anything anyone ever said.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-HHROADT...=1380562423&sr=8-4&keywords=handheld+cb+radio

Here's all you'd need. Like I said my setup in the Jeep is being a bitch so once I get it sorted out i'll have the portable as a spare or for when I get a tow pig.

This is what I run, I like it mucho:
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR/ref=pd_sim_e_36
Antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/K40-K-30-Stainless-Magnet-Antenna/dp/B000H2W270/ref=pd_sim_e_9

The speaker is smallish so I'm sure a vehicle mounted speaker would be louder and therefore clearer (on the freeway)... but this works fine. I like the small form-factor of it and the fact I didn't have to mount anything to my vehicle.

CBs are great to have when you're wheeling out west, pretty standard trail gear.

I volunteered to be a trail leader about June, but no one contacted me. Now, I need to see if I even have a rig to go. I went through mine Saturday, found dust in the throttle body, so I cleaned it, checked the TPS, replaced the air filter and then drove it to work. When I came out, it wouldn't start and I have no fuel pressure at the fuel rail, although I pulled the fuel pump and it is working. The fuel pump relay is also working; I checked. Back to the request: I volunteered previously and I will be glad to lead, but I need functional vehicle. If that happens I'll be back online.
Steve- not having a Jeep to drive actually makes being trail leader easier. Just find someone with a functional CB and an empty seat to give you a ride. They are always happy to be at the front of the group while you spot and keep the group organized. You can get out at obstacles to spot while your chauffeur moves the Jeep out of the way. You get all of the joys of a trail ride without having to fix your Jeep afterwards. Not to mention bonus raffle tix and a little bit of fresh air! Jared, are you listening? I hope you can make it, with or without a functioning Jeep. :)

The rest of you who are on the fence about leading a trail: I have led most of the trails on the schedule and can personally tutor you before your trip. Don't worry if you have never ran the trail before. I have led several Fall Fling trail runs that were also my first time through. Navigation is pretty straightforward, Moab trails are usually well marked. The only one I would prerun is Strike Ravine. That area is a dense spiderweb of anonymous trails going everywhere. I recommend you pick up the National Geographic Moab North & Moab South maps. Buy them before you leave or just pick them up at City Market or any of a number of other stores in Moab. I will be in town Monday afternoon, we can get together and talk about the trails you want to lead. PM your cell number and intentions and we will meet in Moab!

Alex

My jeep is gonna be sitting at your house for close to two weeks anyway.. we can grab mine and wire it up real quick.. Also i May have a magnet mount antenna sitting in my house so we can just put it out the window on top of the jeep.

back east we really just follow the guy infront of us and make sure the guy behind you is still there. but our trails are also alot tighter and alot lot shorter.

My jeep is gonna be sitting at your house for close to two weeks anyway.. we can grab mine and wire it up real quick.. Also i May have a magnet mount antenna sitting in my house so we can just put it out the window on top of the jeep.

alright cool beans.

Do you have to be event registered to lead a trail?

I would lead a trail or two but have no desire this yr to register for the event just yet if at all.

Back