• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

Been mocking up my rear seat dog platform with some cardboard. Going to try to get the design hammered down then hopefully produce the final version sometime this weekend.

Base of the platform is done. I'll get final pics when installed but it isn't quite done yet.

My inspiration:
I was on a flight a few weeks ago so of course I had to browse through the Skymall catalog. Most of it, as you know, is complete crap and gimmicks but I stumbled across this and realized that it was actually quite a neat idea:
205536937dw.jpg

http://www.skymall.com/all-in-one-carrier-for-4-door-vehicles/CDI101.html#cgid=10710&start=4

I have several problems with that product:
1) It doesn't look to be super well-built
2) It doesn't match my interior well
3) It's overpriced ($130). A folding table at Wal-Mart is like $40. Same basic technology...
4) It's universal fit so there are going to be gaps and issues

My logic:
Here is a pic of my backseat
EEC725F9-28D0-453E-BDB9-38DD8BC33EC5_10_zps7818241b.jpg

Here is a pic of my dog
20140129_084027_zps8d5174a1.jpg

As the XJ is my expedition rig, and my dog is a member of the crew, I have to consider him when building the vehicle. As you all know, there isn't exactly a plethora of space inside the Jeep. As such, the back cargo area has to be used for exactly that purpose...cargo. However, he still needs an isolated space for himself. Given his size, the bottom half of the stock seat isn't exactly overly comfortable for long excursions.

Solution:
Design and build my own custom fit rear seat dog platform. This will serve two purposes:
1) Provide him with a larger space for trips
2) Create useful storage in the rear footwell that is (a) protected from sight from unwanted outside viewers and (b)separate from the dog.
(b) is important because it keeps things away from him (like food/treats) that he doesn't need to be able to reach by himself and it keeps him from falling off the seat onto whatever is in the footwell in the event of a sudden stop.

The product:
I still have to mount the support braces (legs) but this gives you an idea of what I made.
20140812_064946_zpsd50f9475.jpg

Laid in place (forgive the resolution, it was taken at 6am this morning. Better pics to come...)
20140812_065243_zpsc4bba962.jpg

Once the finished product is in place, I will be sure to include a test pic as well.

Cost:
Wood...already had on hand so cost was $0
Carpet...$18
Carpet Adhesive (use liquid cement next time)...$6
Hinge for support beams (legs)...$3

Total cost...$27

Skymall cost...$130

Savings...$103

Satisfaction of homebuilt quality...priceless.

Tires got installed yesterday. 31x10.50 Definity (Cooper) Dakota A/T's.

I went with these tires for a few reasons. They're manufactured by Cooper, they have a 50K mile tread warranty and, most important, the price. As some of you may know the A/T is discontinued and has been replaced with the Dakota AT2. The guy at Pep Boys sourced me the last set of 31 inch A/Ts in existence (5 tires).

Price? $19.99 per tire.

20140816_134453_zps2e90b64f.jpg

20140816_172529_zpsda2e8b25.jpg

20140816_172632_zps880d3723.jpg

On a less happy note, I also overheated yesterday. Was on my way home and about 2 miles from my house the Check Gauges light came on and temp shot up to about 260. I pulled over and killed it. Got out and there was some steam coming from near the valve cover but no clear signs of anything spewing. For fear of really messing **** up, I got towed home. Unfortunately I don't have time to fix it myself right now so I am gonna have it towed to a shop tomorrow.

I just pray it isn't the head.

That's a good tire, and an amazing price! I'm jealous of that find of yours... I would get an oil sample done to check for water asap if you suspect the head.

That's a good tire, and an amazing price! I'm jealous of that find of yours... I would get an oil sample done to check for water asap if you suspect the head.

I'm gonna see what the shop says.

The pulley had been sounding a little funny beforehand so I have a feeling it might just be the waterpump. I hope so at least.

The shop I'm taking it to is a local family-owned, Christian-oriented business. Hopefully they will be trustworthy and honest with me.

On a less happy note, I also overheated yesterday. Was on my way home and about 2 miles from my house the Check Gauges light came on and temp shot up to about 260. I pulled over and killed it. Got out and there was some steam coming from near the valve cover but no clear signs of anything spewing. For fear of really messing **** up, I got towed home. Unfortunately I don't have time to fix it myself right now so I am gonna have it towed to a shop tomorrow.

I just pray it isn't the head.

If its not the water pump I would do a coolant flush. Xjs have cronic issues with cooling if you (or the previous owner) don't flush the system regularly.

On 99-01 Xjs The Check Gauges light comes on around 220ish, once you hit that mark, the gauge springs over to the 260. This doesn't mean you hit 260, I guess its kind of a dummy feature the Jeep engineers added to scare you from really over heating.

Also, when an over heat condition occurs, instead of shutting down the engine, it is better to let the engine idle with the climate control set to full hot and the fan on high. This will allow the engine to cool gradually.

Just in case, keep an eye on your oil fill cap to make sure no goo starts forming.. also watch your antifreeze level closely.

I went thru all of this when I bought my xj. Like a dummy I bought an 00 with "valve train noise".. the PO overheated it and the cracked head took out the bearings. Best of luck to you.

Have any of yall removed the gas tank heat shield?

Mine is rattling and I was wondering if I could remove it and be okay. I don't want the tailpipe to melt the tank but then again I imagine the tank is pretty sturdy.

An alternative would be for me to pick up a skid for it but it would be a few weeks before I could install that anyways.

Ordered a set of JCR nutstrips. Figured it would allow me to get the back setup pieced together correctly and let me reinstall my hitch.

Not sure when I will have time to install them but hopefully soon!

They are were well worth the $ when I put my Curt hitch on.. You notice the unibody firmed up too.

I wish I didn't need them but I'm pretty sure the factory one got bent somehow. Plan is to take everything back there apart and reinstall it all correctly. I will most likely be repainting my bumper while I have it off as well.

Wrapped up the dog platform this morning. Legs were made from treated 2x4s wrapped in the same carpet as the platform itself.
20140823_092745_zps6fba46d3.jpg

In place. A shot of the underneath storage area. Plenty of space for human and dog snacks, water/food bowls, a first aid kit, and our daypacks.
20140823_093109_zps3cc678e7.jpg

Kid tested, father approved.
20140823_093320_zpsbdcd9b80.jpg

Back