• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj aw4 on 34s 4.88 or 5.13

If you want to know what 4.88s are like in 4th gear, drive around on the highway in 3rd gear with your stock 3.55 gears. It will be almost exactly the same engine rpm vs vehicle speed.

If you want to know what 4.88s are like in 4th gear, drive around on the highway in 3rd gear with your stock 3.55 gears. It will be almost exactly the same engine rpm vs vehicle speed.

Great tip!!!

What’s the gear strengh in Dana 30 5.13 vs 4.88 is there a big difference?
I know the pinions both have 8teeth and 2 tooth contact but is the 5.13 a lot weaker or about the same ?

I ran 4.56's in my stock axles and 35's for a couple of years (true measurement was roughly 33.75). I only went with 4.56 because I ordered 4.88's, and I was sent 4.56 by mistake, and had an event to go to within a week and didn't have time to wait for new gears.

That being said, I was never really happy with them. They worked fine, and those axles have been under 3 other Jeeps since. I would have much rather had 4.88's though. I live in the South East, and have a lot of hills to go up interstate driving, and that's where the 4.56 really did not shine. The only thing I was a little happier with on the 4.56 gearset was they're a little stronger than the 4.88's. I have replaced a few 4.88/5.13 gears in 30's.

75 mph sounds pretty nice at that rpm my tires are pretty close too, does it ever hunt with the 488s ?

No, with my tire/gearing combo, the transmission does not hunt between 3-4th when cruising at freeway speeds.

yea for sure , its been out for years only the gps can tell me my speed lol think the low pinion will hold up ok in my dana 30 with these 488s i got coming?
basically just trail riding nothing really hardcore and when i do go on intense trails im just crawling

Back