• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

El Sheetbox

El Junky

Good pic from jackhammer overlooking hammertown
ru3atazu.jpg

El Junky

Been having heat soak issues with the Xj so I spent a bunch of money today trying to fix it...
4ujedymu.jpg
qy2emyja.jpg

Re: El Junky

let us know if it works. you also put that gold heat tape under the intake manifold too.

El Junky

let us know if it works. you also put that gold heat tape under the intake manifold too.

Nope... Figured 120 bucks is enough... Ha! I just went out and it seems fixed..... Jeep runs cooler on the highway and close to same on trail... Never sputtered or any signs of it

Nice, i also took the cheap route to this and just raised the rear of the hood with extra shock sleeves i had laying around and coated under the intake mani with heat shield.
Not sure why amc didn't put coolant ports through the intake mani like all other motor company's do. Especially with one that touches the exhaust mani.

El Junky

pe5evy2u.jpg

Oh Dana 30 ftw... Everything still looks perfect throughout 3 years of beating it...
une2ypa4.jpg

8avy8ege.jpg

No it didn't break... Heard a clunk and found a ujoint cap was missing...

I feel like my entire outlook on wheeling on a dana 30 has changed from seeing you wheel the hell out of that same 30 for so long on 33" . 35", 37", 39.5" tires. Do you have any idea of why that set of 3.55s has lasted ? compared to a set of say 4.88s? or is it just magic?

El Junky

The 3.55 have more teeth I would assume... I looked at every tooth and not a single chip in any of then...

I feel like my entire outlook on wheeling on a dana 30 has changed from seeing you wheel the hell out of that same 30 for so long on 33" . 35", 37", 39.5" tires. Do you have any idea of why that set of 3.55s has lasted ? compared to a set of say 4.88s? or is it just magic?

I agree with blondejon. I was worried about the amount of beefing up I was going to do to mine on 33's and you are doing this to one.
As for the 3.55's I am guessing that those gears are not stressing the 30 the way that a set of 4.56's would. Acting like a torque limiter, between the transmission and the axle shafts.

What you have done to that poor truck is simply :flame:

yeah a 3.55 pinion gear has more teeth engagement at the ring gear, i think 2 more teeth that a 4.88 set up. and thats a good point about it acting as a tourque limiter.

Unless there is other thoughts, everything that I have read on the Dana 30 is that the axles and u-joints are the weakest part. The amount of torque that those parts "see" is the cause of their breakage. That is why if you come down hard on one corner with the wheels spinning, the caps blow off the axles.

Considering that, and El Junky's condition, someone is being much easier on the gas pedal then the condition of Junky would indicate. :woohoo:

That is pretty impressive!

El Junky

My biggest issue is the ujoint cap get spit out over time... I tac weld them in and within a month the tacs r crack so I reweld them once a month... Otherwise no issues with it

I wonder if that is where the failure starts. The cap loosens up, moves up the yoke and then falls off, the cross then hits the yoke and busts it. Perhaps you are catching the cause of the all axle failures just before the bomb goes off.

Back