• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

Dual t-cases, single 4:1 t-case gearing, Atlas 4:1+ in auto trans XJ

• Total voters
Phil said:
Troy, I just have to ask: Are you having this rig built so you can have a built rig, or are you having it built so you can actually get out and run some trails?

If you want a built rig, keep finding parts and having them installed. If you want to wheel, get the rig finished with what you have and just wheel the damn thing.
that's a good point phil. if he was building it to get out and run trails he coulda just left it as it was. but apparently 35s aren't "cool" anymore. neither is the Rubicon or Fordyce.

Re: Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

I voted for Phil.

-Jon

BrettM said:
that's a good point phil. if he was building it to get out and run trails he coulda just left it as it was. but apparently 35s aren't "cool" anymore. neither is the Rubicon or Fordyce.

I know I could of kept my 30/44 as I had them, but I found the hp44/9" and it kind of spiraled from there. The 241 is a bolt in so I hope to have my jeep back by early April ready for some Sierra Trails. I hope to get in a few snow runs, but probably with my Brother-in-law's XJ that I'm working on with him. It will be running Lee's hp30/eb 9" with 4.88 gears and a spool and alloy 31 spline Moser axle shafts in the back with 35" MT tires.

Troy

Re: Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

Come on U guys. That's not 1 of the options here. Be nice. :laugh3:

FWIW, the biggest advantages I see for the 231 over the Rubie case is NO driveshaft modifications and the ability to install 2-Low. I use 2-Low ALOT on the trails with a front locker. That was one of the main reasons I installed the TeraLow unit in mine. I already had the JB SYE and the 2Low kit, so it was an easy decision to just "complete" the case. :laugh3:
I could've sold the 231 and found a Rubie case, but I didn't want to give up 2-Low.

BillR said:
FWIW, the biggest advantages I see for the 231 over the Rubie case is NO driveshaft modifications and the ability to install 2-Low. I use 2-Low ALOT on the trails with a front locker. That was one of the main reasons I installed the TeraLow unit in mine. I already had the JB SYE and the 2Low kit, so it was an easy decision to just "complete" the case. :laugh3:
I could've sold the 231 and found a Rubie case, but I didn't want to give up 2-Low.
i assume you don't have an ARB up front? that is a good point since I think he is using a detroit up front.

BrettM said:
i assume you don't have an ARB up front? that is a good point since I think he is using a detroit up front.
Nope, no ARB here. I DO have manual hubs, but I dont want to unlock everytime I need to make a sharp turn on the rocks. An ARB WOULD do the trick, though.

well I actually worked on my rig a little this weekend, I have the Klune V with the auto and 4:56 gears, hopefully have it done next month about 90% done now, I also have the full detroit up front with locking hubs. Doesnot someone now make a HD driveshaft disconnect? I think I saw it on Pirates

disc3.jpg

here it is It would be nice to be able to totally disco the front or rear DS as wanted HMMMMMMM

Last edited:
xjnation said:
well I actually worked on my rig a little this weekend, I have the Klune V with the auto and 4:56 gears, hopefully have it done next month about 90% done now, I also have the full detroit up front with locking hubs. Doesnot someone now make a HD driveshaft disconnect? I think I saw it on Pirates

disc3.jpg

here it is It would be nice to be able to totally disco the front or rear DS as wanted HMMMMMMM

Are you running a 231 behind the Klune V? I'm very interested to know how it works for you. Please post up with an update once you have it all in and run it.

Troy

jeepguy97 said:
So you can work on his but not yours :dunno:

worthless comment - good one jeepguy

jeepguy97 said:
So you can work on his but not yours :dunno:

His is a bolt in 30/9" out of Lee's XJ. I installed my hp30/44 that I had in my jeep before I decided to go with the hp44/9" full width axles. These involve a good deal of fab work, gear and locker set up etc that Ryan is very good at.

Big Red said:
Are you running a 231 behind the Klune V? I'm very interested to know how it works for you. Please post up with an update once you have it all in and run it.

Troy

the actuall parts I have and am using came out of a friends xj that he wheeled in Phoenix for about a year before the XJ caught fire. I bought the whole rig for 1500.00 and sold the parts I didnt use for 1500.00. I drove with him on a trail once and it performed flawlessly. I have installed the AA HD output shaft on it and am really thinking of using the DS disconnect on the rear. now BillR has me thinking of the 2 lo kit of it too HMMMMMM. Then I can go 2lo front or rear

Big Red said:
Thanks Ryan. I really appreciate that man, I'm going to do what I'm going to do regardless of what people say. I found some great deals and have these options in front of me. I don't make alot of $, my wife is layed up at home with very bad health, but I love wheeling and moved here from Chicago to be able to do it on a regular basis. I'm an accountant getting by, but am good at grabbing deals when I see them, and finding someone as honest and nice as Ryan to guide me and do the technical work that he is famous around here for. Heck I drove down from Sacramento and gave Ryan my jeep for as long as he needs because I know he is good and he worked with me on getting the prices down on the parts and labor I needed.

I guess people just cannot take that I'm doing some major things to my rig and they cannot. I think that is what it really boils down to. I asked for some advice, but people just want to talk smack. Well STFU people who have smack to say, either give some experience on these setups or STFU. U guys doing that are the Big Tards here, not me. This site is getting worse than Pirate for the crap that people are dishing out. Well bring it to the trail and STFU in the meantime.

Thanks again Ryan, I really appreciate your comment and opening up your busy schedule to me for the work that I'm looking to have done. :)

Troy

Wow, cry me a river. They were giving sound advice based on the fact that they know you haven't wheeled with you're new setup, are in process of changing to 37s and 5.38s (a combo you have never run) and are only doing it to run with the big boys, who don't want to run with you because you don't have seat time. Who cares how much you have read. It's FREE to run what you have and then decide what you need, and swapping TCs is easily done later. The only cost you may be out by waiting is new driveshafts. But apparently the struggling accountant has money falling out of his pockets. I don't know why you even bother asking and posting these polls. You change your mind on a whim whenever anyone suggests one thing is better then the other and then you get in a huff when people who have wheeled with you think you should get more experience because then you can make the decision for yourself.

But you're right, we're all just jealous.

Last edited:

basalt51 said:
Wow, cry me a river. They were giving sound advice based on the fact that they know you haven't wheeled with you're new setup, are in process of changing to 37s and 5.38s (a combo you have never run) and are only doing it to run with the big boys, who don't want to run with you because you don't have seat time. Who cares how much you have read. It's FREE to run what you have and then decide what you need, and swapping TCs is easily done later. The only cost you may be out by waiting is new drivesahfts. But apparently the struggling accountant has money falling out of his pockets. I don't know why you even bother asking and posting these polls. You change your mind on a whim whenever anyone suggests one thing is better then the other and then you get in a huff when people who have wheeled with you think you should get more experience because then you can make the decision for yourself.

But you're right, we're all just jealous.

:golfclap: that brought a tear to my eye. beautiful.

xjnation said:

disc3.jpg

I saw these on some Toyota buggies at the WE rock comp afew weeks ago. The guy said they used some Toyota 5sp Tranny internals. My wheeling buddie wants to make one for this toyota dual cases so he can do front digs.

I have the rear parts of a 203T-case sitting around (left overs form my doubelr project), it has a beefie disconnect I think we will try over tearing up a working little toyota Tranny. We have both so It will get built eventually.

Here's another dual crawling box option using the 231 t-case gears in a dual 231 or 231/241 combo. I found it on Pirate and the guy is now going to be selling the kit, here's the link:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3648587#post3648587

Troy

Back