• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

Dual t-cases, single 4:1 t-case gearing, Atlas 4:1+ in auto trans XJ

• Total voters
Re: Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

Big Red said:
Dude, you're really ithing for trouble aren't you. I'll just have to see how the full width axles do, I'll be testing them out this summer. I think I'll be o.k.

I guess I'm just the resident pot-stirrer. Is it too late for Ryan to shorten 'dem housings? Maybe you should ask him the difference if he does it now vs. 6 mos. from now like Paul S. suggested? :gag: Time for another beer. :speepin:

-Mike

Re: Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

Big Red said:
Dude, you're really ithing for trouble aren't you.

BTW- trouble's my middle name. As Jes would say "Don't make me pull out my .45 and put a cap in yo ass, foo!" J/K You need to relax bro. :cheers:

-Mike

Big Red said:
Dude, you're really ithing for trouble aren't you.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I think you mean ITCHING

I still haven't voted in the poll.

Big Red said:
Dude, you're really ithing for trouble aren't you. I'll just have to see how the full width axles do, I'll be testing them out this summer. I think I'll be o.k.

Think based on what?!? The guys that have run JV dozens of times agree that it will not be good. Paul even thinks the width is more important than the gearing, and if anyone here knows those trails, it's him.

Jim Brown aka Vintage speed ran through Jackhammer with is full width axles. so don't tell me full width isn't hammer approved. and Paul lead that run.

Rawbrown said:
Jim Brown aka Vintage speed ran through Jackhammer with is full width axles. so don't tell me full width isn't hammer approved. and Paul lead that run.

Ok, but why do you think he pieced out "Big Ugly" and is going to build his MJ into something more streetable/offroadable. There is a certain point at which everything can be too big or too wide. When you think you know what I'm talking about, let me know.

-Mike

Rawbrown said:

How many times did Jim actually run his rig in JV before parting it? I'm fairly certain I'VE been there more times than him, and I live nearly 12 hours away!

Again, FW is fine on buggies since you can take any line you want, but on a full body rig, you are begging for sheetmetal carnage.

In fact one of the Crew's hobbies is checking out the "fullwidth" line on obstacles we have just cleared. It's fun to speculate how much sheetmetal and glass you may have taken out when having to take the high line.

CRASH

BrettM said:
Think based on what?!? The guys that have run JV dozens of times agree that it will not be good. Paul even thinks the width is more important than the gearing, and if anyone here knows those trails, it's him.

What the man said with an auto gearing is not near as important, I did many 4.5 an above trails with my XJ with 33's and 3:54 gearing with no 4:1 tc either. Sledgehammer, Lost world, axle alley, never would even get into anaconda I dont think

Rawbrown said:

Jackhammer is not what I would call a "tight" trail. Try Sunbonett or OL. ;)

Rawbrown said:

True, but less than half way up Jack he told me that if he were to build another jeep it would be stock width. He also had to bypass the V notch at the entrance. And, as Jes said, Jack is probably the most full width friendly Hammer.
It's also important to note that Jim has a lot of experience & had no problem taking his own lines. I'd hate to go to JV for the first time & not have the option of following the same line as the 5 guys in front of me.

Paul

This thread has gotten off-topic, and besides, I want to change my vote.

I originally voted Atlas, but now I think I would say Klune-V in front of the Roc-Trak. All of the planetary gear slop will give our young accountant friend time to choose which full-width line he wants to play on.

CRASH

CRASH said:
This thread has gotten off-topic, and besides, I want to change my vote.

I originally voted Atlas, but now I think I would say Klune-V in front of the Roc-Trak. All of the planetary gear slop will give our young accountant friend time to choose which full-width line he wants to play on.

CRASH

That's o.k. I'm selling the Klune V and just running the 241 Roc-trak. :)

Big Red said:
That's o.k. I'm selling the Klune V and just running the 241 Roc-trak. :)

7 pages and we finally have a decision. :sunshine:

Thank Gawd :gag:

Bryan C. said:
7 pages and we finally have a decision. :sunshine:

Thank Gawd :gag:

This wasn't all about me, I was trying to get everyone to think about the different t-case gearing options we have. I had my mind made up early on. I know I have an auto and don't needs tons of gearing from dual cases.

David Taylor said:
What he should do and what he will do never seem to coincide.

Not true, I was advised that I should not rely on my 31 spline 9" shafts with 35's let alone the 37's I was planning on running so I went with alloy 35 spline and nodular case. I was advised by Brett not to run my 231 t-case behind a 4:1 klune v, so I went with a solo 241. Staying full width is more of a budget thing for me now, I want to see how I do and until then I will stay off of the JV trails, I want to test it out extensively on the Rubicon and Fordyce, Dusey, etc in the Sierras close to me before heading down South and running the big bad Hammer Trails.

BrettM said:
time to start the poll to get him to go narrow on the axles :rolleyes:

Brett,
You said I would be as wide as your front axle with my setup on 8" 4" b.s. rims compared to your 10" rims. Up and over or higher line on 1 side for now if needed.

CRASH said:
How many times did Jim actually run his rig in JV before parting it? I'm fairly certain I'VE been there more times than him, and I live nearly 12 hours away!

Again, FW is fine on buggies since you can take any line you want, but on a full body rig, you are begging for sheetmetal carnage.

In fact one of the Crew's hobbies is checking out the "fullwidth" line on obstacles we have just cleared. It's fun to speculate how much sheetmetal and glass you may have taken out when having to take the high line.

CRASH

Would your or Farmer Matt's roof rails help out with this when I need to take a high line? Just wondering, I was thinking of going that route and getting rid of my roof rack that I don't use.

Troy

Troy

Last edited:

Big red, I think in your rush to try and build a so called "hardcore" rig you might be missing the big picture.
You say you want to run JV trails but you don't take the advice of anybody that really wheels there. There are a hand full of people on naxja that wheel JV. Have you tried an e-mail or pm to them for advice? If so your not taking it. As much as most of them think you might be a tard, there is not one that I know that wouldn't give you straight advice.
You had your new axles out. Now was the time to cut them down. Do you want to buy new shafts later? You can't do the work at home.So when you see that your to wide it will be time for another trip down to Ryan and two more months with no jeep.
Sell that 241 if you don't have the money to do the axle's right the first time.
With the 5.38's and auto you will have all the gearing you need for the summer. Save your money and then get the atlas you know you really want.

BrettM said:
you only want your crawl ratio to be about 50:1 with an auto tranny. go much lower and you won't be able to stop.

The ideal ratio of 50:1 is calculated to include the ~1.8ish reduction given by the T.C., correct?

Back