• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

Dual t-cases, single 4:1 t-case gearing, Atlas 4:1+ in auto trans XJ

• Total voters
Re: Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

BrettM said:

Damn man, I totally missed that. Is Big Red the Fly Tard of Naxja? I could've sworn a similar conversation was going on over at PIRATE a while ago. :wave:

-Mike

Last edited:
Just go with your gut, which set-up do YOU want? The bottom line is it's your rig.

They all sound like excellent options, what are your priorities? Low gearing? multiple-lows? Strength? Something practical? Most-bang-for-lower-buck? Just-won-the-lottery-money-doesn't-matter? Bling? All the above listed are great options, so it's up to you. If no one else has experienced all those particular set-ups, how are they going to answer your question?

I know everyone is telling you to get more seat time, I don't know what your experience level is, but low gearing won't hurt you at all either way. Reading your posts it's quite obvious which route you want to take, but it seems you you have to get everyone's approval first. That's fine, but just make sure it's what YOU want-not what someone else has *approved* for you.

Last edited:
Re: Dual t-cases eb dana 20/4:1 Klune V or just Rubi rock-trac 4:1 with an auto XJ, other

BrettM said:
how long until Big Red has his own website?

http://www.flytard.com/

I tried www.bigtard.com and got nothing. The only thing close that I could get to go was www.bigturd.com but that wasn't anything in the way of Jeeps For Sale or more seat time needed either.

-Mike

XJZ said:
but just make sure it's what YOU want-not what someone else has *appoved* for you.

Hold-Hands.jpg

XJZ said:
That's fine, but just make sure it's what YOU want-not what someone else has *appoved* for you.

If that was the case of going by what people approved for him I don't know anyone that approve of him owning a Jeep. :wierd: If it was up to some people here he would still be driving a Yugo.

-Mike

Mike L said:
If that was the case of going by what people approved for him I don't know anyone that approve of him owning a Jeep. :wierd: If it was up to some people here he would still be driving a Yugo.

-Mike

I know......and we'd still have to hear endlessly how his Yugo has 37's! :)

Well since Everyone seems to be having more fun baggin on Big Red rather than providing some honest to god F'ing criticism. Stop Bitching about seat time and the # of times he repeats a post on a thread and give the guy some F'ing slack.
They guy has come across a good deal on both the 241 and a Klune. What does he do? Klune with the 20? or rocktrack? what about an Atlas? the Klune could be sold along withe the rocktrack and then he can have an atlas. I would probably stiick with the 241 for simplicity. I mean, after all, I am the one that will be installing it.

Rawbrown said:
Well since Everyone seems to be having more fun baggin on Big Red rather than providing some honest to god F'ing criticism. Stop Bitching about seat time and the # of times he repeats a post on a thread and give the guy some F'ing slack.
They guy has come across a good deal on both the 241 and a Klune. What does he do? Klune with the 20? or rocktrack? what about an Atlas? the Klune could be sold along withe the rocktrack and then he can have an atlas. I would probably stiick with the 241 for simplicity. I mean, after all, I am the one that will be installing it.

Thanks Ryan. I really appreciate that man, I'm going to do what I'm going to do regardless of what people say. I found some great deals and have these options in front of me. I don't make alot of $, my wife is layed up at home with very bad health, but I love wheeling and moved here from Chicago to be able to do it on a regular basis. I'm an accountant getting by, but am good at grabbing deals when I see them, and finding someone as honest and nice as Ryan to guide me and do the technical work that he is famous around here for. Heck I drove down from Sacramento and gave Ryan my jeep for as long as he needs because I know he is good and he worked with me on getting the prices down on the parts and labor I needed.

I guess people just cannot take that I'm doing some major things to my rig and they cannot. I think that is what it really boils down to. I asked for some advice, but people just want to talk smack. Well STFU people who have smack to say, either give some experience on these setups or STFU. U guys doing that are the Big Tards here, not me. This site is getting worse than Pirate for the crap that people are dishing out. Well bring it to the trail and STFU in the meantime.

Thanks again Ryan, I really appreciate your comment and opening up your busy schedule to me for the work that I'm looking to have done. :)

Troy

Last edited:

Big Red said:
I'm going to do what I'm going to do regardless of what people say.

then why post a poll? i think that is the core of the issue. you often ask for advise and don't take it.

BrettM said:
then why post a poll? i think that is the core of the issue. you often ask for advise and don't take it.

I did take your advice and ditched my plans of putting my stock 231 t-case in back of the Klune V and instead bought a rock trac. Then I came across a great deal on a Klune V and read on Pirate that combining it with a eb dana 20 U would have a great combo and only 1" more in length than a 231 with a SYE. Just thought I'd get some people saying what they have done or would do, not the crap about seat time, being a Big Tard etc. I do look at the advice I'm getting, but I want to do the mods now so I don't need to have the driveshafts adjusted again and my rig down again on another build up. I just want to have fun with it on the trails when this is done.

O think I just found a new sig. :wierd:

-Mike

Mike L said:
O think I just found a new sig. :wierd:

-Mike

Sounds good, remember it when you have crap to spew rather than giving advice on the topic. This poll is very relevant to alot of people thinking about better gearing options. I just posted on what I found info on (the eb dana 20/klune v and the 241 rock trac) and the parts I found some deals on. I was just trying to get some feedback from other XJers out there. I posted on Pirate and the vote is split between the 20/klune and the Atlas. I could sell what I have and get the Atlas, but that's a little too much $ for me, I need to pocket it as it was used up in my axles. I think the rock trac will do just fine.

The rock trac being available on ebay and around for people stepping up to an Atlas for around $1K. Very nice strong t-case with many advantages and cheaper than doing a SYE and 4:1 gear change in the 231.

Troy

Last edited:

Ive got a Tera-low in my 2000 and a Rocktrac in my 95,they were both about the same price(to buy or put together).Besides being stronger the Rocktrac is also infinately quieter than my 231!

The only reason I said you need more seat time is because you said it yourself in one of your posts. I'm not trying to bitch to you. I gave my honest opinion on what you should do, and hopefully you'll take it.

The bitching I did about the build it once thing is to the whole jeep community, not directed at any one person.

Now to add experiences to my particular post, I run a tera 4:1, AX-15, 4.56's, and 33" tires. I wish I could go slower. But I'd guess you'd be fine with a 4:1 and an automatic. Guys I wheel with have the same set-up as me, but with an auto, and they can go much slower and crawl much more effortlessly. Depending on your tire size...say less than 37-38" tires, You'd probably be fine with just the 4:1.

The best tech in this post is to try out what you have for a while and build off what you learn from dirving it. You already posess 2 options you want to try, don't think you need to install it now. You can always pick which one you want later on, and probably feel much more comfortable with your choice after that little bit of time.

_nicko_

Thanks RCP Phx & gearwhine. I wasn't directing my rage at you guys, just Mike and Brett in here who were being asshats. I really appreciate Bretts advice when he pm'd me and directed me away from the Klune/231 combo which I felt before asking might not be a good idea. All I wanted is people to who have a 4:1 either in a auto or even a manual to give me some feedback. I know I don't have alot of time wheeling, but my jeep is apart with getting the new axles and it is a good time to decide what t-case(s) to go with so I don't have to have the driveshafts done again later. I plan to wheel my jeep like crazy when its done. Thanks for the feedback guys.

When you compare to how much the Tera 4:1 costs for the 231 and the SYE , it is easy to justify spending $1K-1,200 on the 241 Rubicon rock-trac t-case for these features and alot more. When you start thinking about spending over $1,500-2K, then that is Atlas territory used or new.

Troy

BrettM said:

I read that already a few days before I posted. I just want confirmation and opinions on it from XJers here. I'm going to go with the 241 and sell my Klune V. I wanted to post and have a poll to not only reaffirm stuff to me, but show others about the eb dana 20/klune, 241, Tera 4:1 in the 231, and the big $/big bling Atlas 2. Gearing is where it's at for the trail, deciding how much you need vs how much you think is cool for bragging rights is another. I've spent a good amount of time researching what gearing is needed for an auto vs a manual and I know they are very different, with the torque converter in the auto you can almost double your crawl ratio so that really helps and makes for a good wheeler. I know that is why you said you went with the AW4 auto in your MJ Brett instead of a AX 15 or NV4500. It was cheap and made for a low cost, dependable wheeler.

Final thoughts on what I learned here:

Early Bronco 20/Klune V: Nice option, but very expensive if U buy the Klune V new and can find the harder to find eb dana 20 t-case. Very nice mod for a manual jeep that wants to retain the driver drop diff for a hp 44 or hp 60. This is really a manual tranny consideration, but the gear choices here are amazing. Don't just think having both t-cases in low, but having the eb dana 20 for mud, sand, and other high speed wheeling and the 4:1 in the Klune for rocks and other stuff, and the low range of each for the super technical stuff like JV trails etc. I got a good deal on a Klune V so this was an option for me, I wouldn't pay close to $3K for it.

241 Rubicon Rock-trac t-case: Very nice t-case with many strength feature over the 231. It being a bolt in or near bolt in just further enhances its appeal. It comes with a factory SYE and 4:1 gearing and strong 6 planatary gear setup etc etc etc. Check this link for the 231 vs 241 breakdown: http://www.rubiconowners.com/TransferCase.html
I got mine on ebay for $1,050 shipped which is a very good deal considering a Tera 4:1 is about $850 to a $1K and a SYE is about $200-350 alone, then factor in labor to install if U need that and you can see how attractive of a deal the 241 Rubicon rock-trac is if you can find 1 from $900-1,200. Over $1,500 and its Atlas 2 territory new or used.

Tera 4:1 in the 231: Not worth the $ in my book when the 241 Rubicon rock trac is available and for the reasons found above.

Atlas 2 t-case: The king, if you can afford it, run it, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for all the feeback and the people voting, I hope this helps people on the fence in deciding what t-case gearing they need/want. It looks like the 241 and Atlas are running away with it. The Atlas even though it isn't cheap $2K-2.5K range it is worth the beef and worry free operation. For 1/2 the price of the Atlas, the 241 is a darn good beef upgrade from the 231 especially if U are getting started and haven't done the SYE and Tera 4:1 kits already. If you have done the SYE to the 231 like I have, then just sell it for some dough, probably $350-450 or so for a low mileage 231 t-case with a SYE ready to go.

Troy

Last edited:
Troy, I just have to ask: Are you having this rig built so you can have a built rig, or are you having it built so you can actually get out and run some trails?

If you want a built rig, keep finding parts and having them installed. If you want to wheel, get the rig finished with what you have and just wheel the damn thing.

Back