• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DPG Belly Skid Vs. JCR Belly Skid

Not to hasta, but you both clearly make a great product and the design is similar to what many of us would do... simple and strong... great design. Grace would be called for here... :cheers:

Exactly. I don't see a point to having vendors battle it out in a thread, especially over two products that are sooo damn close in design and execution. You both succeeded in making a full width Tcase skid plate and both of them look great. Glad you are both in this thread to tell us the positives of your respective skid, but no bashing is needed for any reason. Let the consumer decide which one fits their application best.

Dirk, who cares if his skid is $10 less? That small amount has never made me change my mind when picking one product over another. Some people have brand/company loyalty, so guys who have bought your stuff in the past will buy your stuff now, regardless of a $10 difference. Like everyone has said, there are only so many ways to build a skid like this.

Personally, I decided to go with the bigger and beefier TnT skid, so I'm trying to be a neutral party here. :cheers:

I have the DPG, got it last year. I had to unmount it when I did the long arms, but it'll go back on once my laziness ends and I buy a couple drill bits. The mounts for the arms have spaced the skid away from the framerails and I have to redrill. No biggy though, and it's gonna happen with anything.
As far as modifying the exhaust system, my stock, factory cat would've fit perfectly underneath. I got it replaced for free at the dealer under the E22 recall. They put a big round one on. We ended up modifying the skid to fit the cat since cutting a small notch with a plasma cutter was free while a new cat was not.

So, I have a DPG skid with the JCR cat mod...:D

I also have JCR bumpers and my sliders will go on soon.

I will get a hardware kit together on Monday for you. It consists of 6 side frame bolts using nutserts that you crush into the frame. The three front crossember bolts are self tappers and then two long countersunk bolts that go through the entire crossmember and using locking nuts. Total of 11 fasteners.

That sounds easier than mounting the dpg skid that requires holes to be drilled all the waythrough the frame.....not fun on the driver side where the fuel lines are.I ended up using self tappers on my dpg skid,although its not as strong it works.

That sounds easier than mounting the dpg skid that requires holes to be drilled all the waythrough the frame.....not fun on the driver side where the fuel lines are.I ended up using self tappers on my dpg skid,although its not as strong it works.
It wasn't hard moving the lines. We just popped em out of their clips, held them up out of the way, and drilled.

Regarding the through bolts crushing the frame, you can make a force distributing plate by drilling holes in a strip of steel. Ace hardware even sells 2" wide strips.

I realized that the reason these aren't included with any kit is that your holes would have to be drilled exactly straight for a premade one to work.

Has anyone running either of these skids experience any bending of the stock crossmember? I have gone through a couple crossmembers by highcentering on them. I actually ripped my passenger side crossmember mounts out of the frame once too. I'm looking into either of these, leaning towards the JCR, but I managed to smash my Warn skid like a potato chip so I'm a little concerned about how much the skid strengthens the factory crossmember.

amadeus, I think either of these skids would take all or most of the force, because they're rigid and bolt to both sides of the frame. The only way to bend the crossmember would be to also bend the skid.

amadeus, I think either of these skids would take all or most of the force, because they're rigid and bolt to both sides of the frame. The only way to bend the crossmember would be to also bend the skid.
That is correct. You won't be hurting the factory crossmember without going through the skid first, which I've never heard of anyone being able to do.

Has anyone modified their crossmember or skid to get the skid up higher and flatter to the frame rails?
I'm thinking the best way to do that is to simply build an entire new crossmember/skid combo from scratch.

While a little clearance could be gained that way, it wouldn't be dramatic without also raising the t-case in the uni-body, which would bring it's own issues...

Yeah I know it would have to go through the skid first, I'm not referring to a jagged rock poking through the skid, I'm talking about being high centered completely on the factory crossmember. If all or near the entire weight of the jeep is resting on the factory crossmember it will bend, now are these skids strong enough to stop that from happening or do they need some sort of angle or tube support on them to stiffen them up. TNT offers internal bracing on their belly pans, same kind of idea.

For whoever was asking about it the Treks/TNT belly pan gives you a 1" gain in clearance over the stock crossmember.

Yeah I know it would have to go through the skid first, I'm not referring to a jagged rock poking through the skid, I'm talking about being high centered completely on the factory crossmember. If all or near the entire weight of the jeep is resting on the factory crossmember it will bend, now are these skids strong enough to stop that from happening or do they need some sort of angle or tube support on them to stiffen them up. TNT offers internal bracing on their belly pans, same kind of idea.

For whoever was asking about it the Treks/TNT belly pan gives you a 1" gain in clearance over the stock crossmember.

In a word... yes

If all or near the entire weight of the jeep is resting on the factory crossmember it will bend, now are these skids strong enough to stop that from happening...?
Like REVROK said- YES.

You won't be bending the factory crossmember with one of these skids installed.

Is there a DPG option for the 242 case? Are 231 and/or 242 versions in stock and ready to ship? I believe the website mentions calling about the 242, but Im too lazy and would love to share the answer with all.

Last edited:
i ordered a JCR skid today. it looks beefy as hell & will fit my cat without modifications.
i can't wait to mount it up!

It's not often you can have a constructive review/comparison, and have BOTH companys come into the picture to discuss.

im kind of suprised!

now, MY question, will either of these work with a Transfercase Drop?

Back