• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble... I did search, read on.

Did you do tires and lift at the same time??? An often ovelooked reason for DW is out of round tires....or a bent/crooked wheel.....dont assume that just because they can be balanced they are ok....you can balance a tire with a goosegg on it and it will still be out of round....

When does the DW kick up??? Any time at any speed??? only at or above a particular speed?? only when you hit a bump??

The Terror That Flaps In The Night!

DWs are caused by something that's got play in it from either being loose, worn, cracked or flexing.

Culprits include flexing control arms. Factory control arms are as stiff as spaghetti noodles. Control arms eyes will wallow out & let the bushing move around. Control arm bushings could be worn or cracked. The mount bolt holes can elongate and allow shifting. Check for similar problems with the track bar.

Track bar mount tower bolts will loosen causing severe DWs.

Even the slightest wear on ball joints will give you fits. Check for play with a large prybar.

Look for cracks on and around mounts, steering box mount bolts, track bar mount bolts and anywhere else you can think of.

Do not worry about the steering stabilizer. It will not cause DWs no matter what, though a new one will hide symptoms of minor wear/loosness/cracking/flexing

MudDawg said:
Did you do tires and lift at the same time??? An often ovelooked reason for DW is out of round tires....or a bent/crooked wheel.....dont assume that just because they can be balanced they are ok....you can balance a tire with a goosegg on it and it will still be out of round....

When does the DW kick up??? Any time at any speed??? only at or above a particular speed?? only when you hit a bump??

I had the same tires as before, it will kick in at any point over 40 or so, mostly with bumps.

And to all the guys who keep re-stating all the usual causes for DW i appreciate the help but i have been over it all many times at this point, nothing is worn, and everything that had the slightest hint of it was changed... and there is no wear at any of the points where bolts pass through their various holes.

Since you cant fix it,sell it to me.I'll fix it the next day and make some money off of it!:cheers:

RCP Phx said:
Since you cant fix it,sell it to me.I'll fix it the next day and make some money off of it!:cheers:

That's funny stuff. Not helpful, but funny...:roflmao:

Seriously, dude, none of us can tell you exactly what your issue is going to be. We are all guessing. But, we have all had DW and fixed our own by finding the movement and eliminating it. By the way, if you have not fixed your caster yet, do so before you go any further. Caster issues will exacerbate any potential DW.

goodburbon said:
Selling your lift?

Nope, fiance has a 88 which is going to be replaced in a year or so... ill trim the fenders and throw 31's under it with the LIft.

I had the same problem: violent shaking at 55-60+ when I hit bumps. It turned out that the upper and lower control arm bushings needed to be replaced. I found that out after replacing : upper and lower ball joints, sway bar bushings, steering stabilizer, wheels and tires, u-joints, and installing a heavy duty track bar bracket. All of those things made a small difference, but it still came back after a few days. It has not wobbled at all since I did the upper and lower control arm bushings 3 weeks ago (about 700 miles or so). Hope this helps.

award said:
I had the same problem: violent shaking at 55-60+ when I hit bumps. It turned out that the upper and lower control arm bushings needed to be replaced. I found that out after replacing : upper and lower ball joints, sway bar bushings, steering stabilizer, wheels and tires, u-joints, and installing a heavy duty track bar bracket. All of those things made a small difference, but it still came back after a few days. It has not wobbled at all since I did the upper and lower control arm bushings 3 weeks ago (about 700 miles or so). Hope this helps.

At least you basically have a new front end now :)

Where in VA are you?

TRAILREADYXJ said:
At least you basically have a new front end now :)

Where in VA are you?

That;s where i am at. I think it's the caster at this point. I actually have too much i found out. With the fiexed lowers i was pulling 11-10* and now with the stocks back it has 8-9* and it is beter but not great. I have adjustable uppers comming since i cant bring the lower in anymore, im going to tip the top foward to make that 5-7* magic number.

SeansBlueXJ said:
That;s where i am at. I think it's the caster at this point. I actually have too much i found out. With the fiexed lowers i was pulling 11-10* and now with the stocks back it has 8-9* and it is beter but not great. I have adjustable uppers comming since i cant bring the lower in anymore, im going to tip the top foward to make that 5-7* magic number.
Since you have a LP D30(like myself),you may want to try even less for good pinion angle!

Back