• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble... I did search, read on.

Have someone turn the steering side to side, and watch the axle if it shifts at all then your trac-bar mounts are the culprit. De-lift it if you must, but thats trying to swat a fly with a tennis racket, you might miss the problem with the big holes in the solution.

oh every mount has been checked over and over using the stering wheel method truck running, with bigger and better xj'ers then me under looking for SOMETHING finding NOTHING.

Last edited:
ok remove the bolt from the lower trac bar mount, check the size of that bolt relative to the size of the hole in the bushing. Then check the size of the hole in the trac bar mounting point on the axle. Any play this bolt has will translate to death wobble, as will any movement of your frame side trac-bar mount.

So you have a smaller set of tires to run once you go back stock? What size tires are you running now? I would really hate to see you run back to stock size and realize that you still have death wobble. How old is the lift kit? How old are the control arm bushings?

I know the bolts on both ends of the track are good. you need to drill out the frame end for the JKS, and the axel side is tight. They are only 275's now which is what they were. The lift isnt old at all... half a year mabye, problems since day 1, but it's not highwayable any more. and benn over everything anybody has suggested or thought of.

Ok, let me put this simply

If there is ZERO play in the trac bar, Tie rod ends, steering box, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints, the alignment is correct and the wheels are balanced/not bent, Death wobble can't exist. You are missing something or the frame is cracked and you haven't seen it yet.

Well that is the only thing left i have yet to try. I need my DD back!

how about the bolts on the control arms? I had a nut come off of one of my lowers and it caused the bolt to become smaller in diamiter. (i can thank my uncle whom helped me with the lift for not torquing it down, and my butt for not double checking it.) I replaced the bolt and it helped a lot.

also, check all bushings, joints, nuts, etc related to the front axle. there has to be play somewhere allowing the vibes to occur. the hard part is finding them.

does the DW occur only at cirtain speeds, going over bumps/dips in the road, potholes etc? the more we know about the situation the better the chances we can help narrow it down.

any chance of a bent rim? hows the UPPER control arm bushings (i will need to replace mine soon). anything in the axle or steering systems bent? im kinda trying to think outside the box since most of the regular stuffs been covered.

well lets see, control arms i double checked just tonight... uppers are good pulled them off and looked at em. The wobble is compleetly random, does it when ever it feels like it. i doubt it's a rim as i switched the front rims/tires with another xj for a test drive, but i am going for a ballance tommrow and they might find that. everything looks as it should in the ways of bends and straights... ,well i am long beyond witts end.

ok, an update, tires were ballanced today. I didnt get far enough to really test it because I was down right frightned to in the rain today. But at least i know the rims are true. more head scratching ensues.

SeansBlueXJ said:
ok, an update, tires were ballanced today. I didnt get far enough to really test it because I was down right frightned to in the rain today. But at least i know the rims are true. more head scratching ensues.
FYI; death wobble is dependent on traction. The slicker the roads are, the less likely you are to have death wobble.

MaXJohnson said:
FYI; death wobble is dependent on traction. The slicker the roads are, the less likely you are to have death wobble.

ok fair enough, but still dont want it to catch and then have some issue i couldnt recover from. That wouldnt be pretty :flame:

Two things about the RE Drop. 1) i am only at 2.5" i really wouldnt hope to need them. 2) in theory of a lift. wouldnt that negate the lift. creating something hanging low under the truck?

You definately are overlooking something!Lift has nothing to do with DW.Ive had it on my 93(stock never lifted) and on my 2000(stock) w/ 600 miles on it.Theres even a TSB out in regards to DW!

And no the LP D30 has nothing to do with it,Im still running mine at 6"+ lift(for 5 years now).
Also you keep saying everything is "tight","seems tight","looks tight","feels tight".Not once have you mentioned everything is "within spec" or "torqued to spec".
You might also look at changing out all your extruded thread hardware for "full shank" hardware of the proper size(metric or american,whichever fits best) as its known to cause problems also!

Last edited:
I know this sounds dumb, but how old are your shocks?????????????????????????

this will cause this too, one bad shock will let it bounce.. like the old twin i-beam fords would bounce down the road

I got ride of dw by putting proper air in tires and firming the shocks. I know you changed tires, shocks could be too soft

I had the same issues and bought new rims because of the fact that my old ones could not be balanced from bends and abuse. Soon as I had the new rims on it was like riding on a cusion, no shakes dw or vibes.

ok, well to answer what i can. Yes I am sure I am missing something, want to play with the caster setting still. OK, and so far as tight, as tight as any physical/ visual inspection can warrant. My buddy that has been helping me with this is a far better XJer then me and has much experience with everything jeep. He was even asst mgr at a Jeep Parts dept for 3 yrs, so even if i dont know what "tight" and "good" is he does.

Back