• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee axles

nicolas jeep zj

NAXJA Forum User
hi you guys.

i have a cherokee i im from bogota colombia, and i need info about which gears i should use beacause all the cherokees and grand cherokes that were sold in venezuela and colombia came with solid dana 44 axles front and rear .

my cuestion is y saw the gearing linck but y want to know which gears shuld i use whit 35 inch tires?

sorry for my poor english.

Last edited:
i THINK you are trying to ask what gears to use on 35"s...which i would recommend 4.88..and it sounds like you have 44's front & rear so your good to go there.

Yep, go 4.88. 4.56 will work too, but you will like 4.88 better. I had 4.10 on a TJ with 35's and it worked for around town, was bad on the highway and I did not like it off road.

Given the terrain in Columbia, 4.88 will probably be your best choice. Better torque for the mountains.

Agreed... one thing though, aluminum or steel rear d44 housing?

Also, I now want to go to venezuela for a junkyard trip... a bolt in front 44 would be awesome.

Also, I now want to go to venezuela for a junkyard trip... a bolt in front 44 would be awesome.

I would also be interested in knowing if your Grand Cherokee's had Aluminum D44's or steel D44's.

Also, it would be really cool to see your XJ factory "Build Sheet". If you do not have the window sticker, you can send the VIN to Chrysler and they will email you a list of what your jeep is equipped with.

This may be to much to ask, but South American XJ's are very interesting to me. I would especially like to know if the factory actually called them "renegade's".

Be sure to post some pictures of your cherokee when your done the build!

I did a BUNCH of digging and research on this quite a few years ago now, and the rear D44 in an XJ down there is identical to the rear D44's that came in the 87-89 XJ's in the states. The Grands had the same rear D44's as the states as well (so they had aluminum center sections as well). And yes, for the front D44, think "Rubicon".

LOL... in my experience with traveling around South America, 90% of the vehicles on the road SHOULD be in a JY. It might be VERY hard to find an XJ that has not been cobbled together and still driven.:laugh:

I would also be interested in knowing if your Grand Cherokee's had Aluminum D44's or steel D44's.

Also, it would be really cool to see your XJ factory "Build Sheet". If you do not have the window sticker, you can send the VIN to Chrysler and they will email you a list of what your jeep is equipped with.

This may be to much to ask, but South American XJ's are very interesting to me. I would especially like to know if the factory actually called them "renegade's".

Be sure to post some pictures of your cherokee when your done the build!

yes grand cherokee zj axles are steel d44's
the only ones whit the aluminium are the 5.9

i will post some photos from the d44's in a few minutes.
sorry for my poor english

I did a BUNCH of digging and research on this quite a few years ago now, and the rear D44 in an XJ down there is identical to the rear D44's that came in the 87-89 XJ's in the states. The Grands had the same rear D44's as the states as well (so they had aluminum center sections as well). And yes, for the front D44, think "Rubicon".

LOL... in my experience with traveling around South America, 90% of the vehicles on the road SHOULD be in a JY. It might be VERY hard to find an XJ that has not been cobbled together and still driven.:laugh:

Cobbled together and still driven?

Sounds like the ones I drive :anon:

As long as the front axle only needs wear items replaced I would be happy with it!

Back