• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build a D44/9" combo or a D60/D60 combo?

im in the same situation, i have a 44/9 in my garage. but am thinking about running full width 60's, maybe find a one ton truck in a JY. going rate at Crazy rays is 86 dollars per axle

i might just do 60's keep them full width, lock them, and go from there.

I was looking at a 14b for the extra pinion bearing the the 9inch has, but hear bad things about clearance and i dont plan on going over 40's maybe get 38's

BTW OP do you plan on running full width or narrowing?

The plan is to run full widths, I've wheeled with guys that have narrowed their axles and some that run full widths, I don't see a huge advantage in narrowing them

My 14b has more clearance then my 60 :greensmok

2nta3aq.jpg

I would probably never even consider a regular D60 rear, not worth the effort. Start with something like a 70/10.25/14b and the stock shafts will be fine. Stock shafts in a HP60, with full circle 806's, should last with the 37's too.

Did you see this question Goatman? What are your thoughts???

That should be a full float D60, which is 30 spline.....same as a D44. Any full float (stock) D60 has to have the spindle bore size increased so you can put in 35 spline shafts, unless you get one of the more rare models and years that already has spindles that are large enough to accept the 35 spline shafts.

That should be a full float D60, which is 30 spline.....same as a D44. Any full float (stock) D60 has to have the spindle bore size increased so you can put in 35 spline shafts, unless you get one of the more rare models and years that already has spindles that are large enough to accept the 35 spline shafts.

Not that rare, unless you're talking specific to F-series pickups.

E350 D60s have large bore spindles to accept 35 spline shafts from the factory as I already started.

Not sure on the year spread, but definitely starting in '92 (robz95xj has one I sold him) all the way through 2004. I'm not 100% sure when they switched to the metric bolt pattern in the vans, but it WASN'T when they did it with the pickups. I believe they switched in 2004, but can't confirm. I'm going to double check my father's 2011 E250 (definitely a D60-ISU SF version) and see if it's still 8x6.5.

I've also yet to find one with a 10.25, all of them (at least the SRW, non C&C versions) have had the D60-ISU.

They also have 3.5" tubes, MUCH beefier center section, flange instead of a yoke, and if you get a disc brake version (99-04) you'll get twin piston calipers with slip-off rotors instead of the behind-the-hub versions where the stud presses through them.

Just FYI. :cheers:

Last edited:
Any full float (stock) D60 has to have the spindle bore size increased so you can put in 35 spline shafts, unless you get one of the more rare models and years that already has spindles that are large enough to accept the 35 spline shafts.
Not exactly 'rare', just have to know what you are looking for.
Or be willing to spend a little time and elbow grease opening up the other spindles (assuming one purchases a model with hefty enough spindles).

Edit: MoparManiac beat me to it.

No other Eaton rear axle fans?

mac 'must just be me :)' gyvr

Guess it depends on what you call rare. :)

Compared to the number of D60's out there in the junkyards under various trucks, E350's could be considered rare.

:cheers:

Would be good to know what year the vans switched the metric bolt pattern. The trucks switched in '99.

The way the op wheels either a 44 front with rcvs or a 60 front....... and I am a huge fan of the 14bolt, shaved of coarse.

Brendan, you're hard on 30's I would just go for bomb proof and do a 60/14b. That Golen with 4.88's Is hard on your 30 and 8.8 with your heavy foot disorder. I'm going to build a 44 front for mine because mine will never get wheeled as hard as your rig! :roflmao:

The way the op wheels either a 44 front with rcvs or a 60 front....... and I am a huge fan of the 14bolt, shaved of coarse.

I would definitely go with RCV's on a 44, doug blew his apart with 37's on it and a stroker, So once again Brendan needs a 60! :D

I know you have enough input already, but I feel the need to add my .02

Everyone says, dont waste your time on a front 44. I thought I knew better and built a fully polished 44 anyway. Ive wheeled it on 35s and have only broken a Warn Premium lockout.

Im now going to larger tires and really wish I had wheeled the D30 until I went to larger tires and skipped the 44 altogether and gone to a 60.

Im building a rear 14 bolt, shaved, Lincoln Locked, and disked for way under what I felt a 60 could be built for and I doubt I will be able to break it.
Semi floating shafts, C clips, having to bore spindles etc all made me not wish to deal with any sort of D60.

If you are hard on parts, why not do a balls to the wall front KP60, Juna67 kit and RCVs. Rear 14 bolt with 35 spline alloy shafts and spool.
If you break those, youre doing it wrong!

Back