• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Cat-Back

Just recently installed Rusty's system with the delta flow 50 series muffler. The only problems I ran into were due to the exhaust system the previous owner installed that caused the tailpipe to be too short. That was easily remedied with a short extension tube. The other problem was the turndown was too long for my taste. I cut off about 2" for additional ground clearance. As far as performance goes, I can only go by the old butt-dyno. Coupled with a modified intake with a K&N filter, the new exhaust definately allows the engine to breathe more freely and it revs more freely and has quicker throttle response. As far as the sound is concerned, I've already had two people ask me if I had a V8 swap in it! It's got a nice low rumble at idle and a pretty wicked roar at WOT, but it's not obnoxious in the cabin at all. Just made a 560 mile round trip (pulling a trailer with a '53 CJ2A on it on the return leg) and it was very tolerable. Highly recommended!

I've wanted the Rusty's Kit for a while now but i just had to take the opportunity the other day to get a Magnaflow aluminized muffler and a new tailpipe (2 1/4" unfortunately). It sounds nice and you can feel a difference. As i've expected, the low end power got moved up the powerband but either way it's nice and for $170 welded and all it was cheaper than the rusty's setup. I just wish i didn't have to go through so much hassle putting it on as it was a #@$@ to get the old one off. :gonnablow

Thanks for the reply! Looks like that'll be my next (and first) mod to the XJ! My next question is, would it be recommended to get a high-flow converter with it? Sorry for the questions, I'm a newb to the XJ (just got it 2 weeks ago!)

-Dan

Last edited:
ya'll on the 1st page are crazy for not likin the Flowmasters. They are awesome. i hardly hear it at speeds above 50 and deep perfect sound at anything less. Plus you cant destroy them on the trail as good as havin a skid plate for a muffler. if anyone in MD wants custom exhaust done check out Lee's Automotive 410-848-8728. they tucked it up as high as possible

Dumpers on an XJ ?? thats got to sound hillariious, I remember running just header and cat for a day. It was obnoxious, didnt have a nice rumble like a nice V8, nor the power like I thought it should. Now I have a gibson header, high flow cat, and dynomax cat back. It sounds decent when I get on it. But wish it was some louder still, at least at idle. Ive never really heard a real nice 4.0, which still has good power. This summer im going flow 50 series.

Back