• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Cat-Back

With my gibson, I do have a trailer hitch, the tailpipe was be cut and a new end custom bent that comes out angled behind the rear pass tire. I love how it looks.

i dont want to have to cut and bend a new tail pipe that i just bought...i guess i will look again later when i have more cash for the heap fund:)

CantonXJ said:
Is there no rear hanger on that system?
The rear-most hanger is bolted to the "frame", and the tail pie gets clamped to that. In the picture, the exhaust had been hit pretty good, and broke off the rusty old clamp, causing it to sag a little.

Also, how's the noise level inside the cabin? Does it tend to drone at highway speeds? A nice low-speed "burble" would be nice, but I don't want anything that would cause my 14 year-old son to turn to me and say: "Dad, that new exhaust RaUx!"

KnowWudUhMean?
It's not bad. You can tell it's there, but it's not annoying. I would consider it a step up from stock. I just installed my second system a few weeks ago. I was suprised that the first one lasted three years up here in the land of salted roads.

raypla said:
I just had a Banks header, and Magnaflow highflow cat and catback put on.

Sounds great not noticably loud unless I want it to be, not ricey at all. I think it may even be quuieter at cruising speed. I have the FIPK and a 62mm TB, I really feel everything coresponds well together.

Do you have any sound clips? I'd really love to hear this.

had a flowmaster on my 87 XJ and it was off in about one season. put a supertrapp on it and loved it. all the borla systems i've heard have been on the quiet side. maybe they make different set ups?

CantonXJ said:
I just looked on the Gibson site and it says its cat-back system won't work with my trailer hitch. :bawl: Anyone running a cat-back with a trailer hitch?

My Borla fit my '99 just fine with a Class III receiver, factory tow package. No reason I can see why it wouldn't fit anything from 96-01, with or without the hitch.

Borla also listed the years for the cat-back as something like 94-98 when I bought it for my 99. When I asked them why they didn't include 99, they said it was because they hadn't actually installed it on one. Guess what? It fit my 99 just fine, and same for the 01.

i curently have a flowmaster 40, but am going to a 50 series this spring

I drove the XJ to California and back with the Borla. Excessive noise is definitely not an issue. I also drove my 99 to Florida and back with my (then) girlfriend. I didn't hear one complaint from her about it, and it was installed only a month, maybe 2, prior to the trip.

Has anyone tried the Rusty's 50 series catback? Im considering it looking mostly for power. I don't really want anything too loud or ricey, just some extra grunt and for $178 with shipping, it's pricing seems reasonable. Any thoughts?

It's only going to be one or two hp either way. Sound and build quality is the only difference between any of the kits, and that's mostly subjective anyways. Just pick one with mandrel bent pipe and through it on. You'll probably love it compared to stock no matter what.

This question is for prb24 or anyone else running the Dynomax catback...I've got a HiddenHitch class 3 hitch (looks similar to yours) and extended shackles. The stock exhaust just clears between the hitch and the right shackle. Looking at the Dynomax on Summit's website, it looks like the tip kicks out slightly to the right. Do you think it would clear the shackle? Rusty's looks like it exits straight out the back and would clear but it's more expensive and no free shipping!

Thanks for any help/advice!

96 XJ Country

williamk53 said:
This question is for prb24 or anyone else running the Dynomax catback...I've got a HiddenHitch class 3 hitch (looks similar to yours) and extended shackles. The stock exhaust just clears between the hitch and the right shackle. Looking at the Dynomax on Summit's website, it looks like the tip kicks out slightly to the right. Do you think it would clear the shackle? Rusty's looks like it exits straight out the back and would clear but it's more expensive and no free shipping!

Thanks for any help/advice!

96 XJ Country

It should clear your hitch...but probably won't clear your shackle. The tip does kick out a little, and passes underneath the shackle with about 1/2"-1" of clearance.

your rigs cant be that loud, i used to have factory down pipe to 2.5" through a cheap aftermarket cat (pretty much straigt through) to a flowy 40 and a turndown right in front of the rear axle, that sumbitch was LOUD! now its got a stock cat and a flowmaster 40 with 2.25" tailpipe, its still real loud, but WAY quiter than it was.

I have rustys with the flowmaster 50, and had a glasspack before. There's no droning now and I can't hear it inside unless I get on it. Plus, it will last a lot longer than a turbo muffler.

I dont imagine there would be any advantage to having a dual exhaust system added to a stock manifold would there?

Have a muffler shop close that does good work for reasonable cost.

Had a 2 1/2" custom system dual exhaust w/dynamax and 'H' crossover made and installed for 200.00! (was on a 66' Dodge so no cat)

klonestar said:
I dont imagine there would be any advantage to having a dual exhaust system added to a stock manifold would there?

Have a muffler shop close that does good work for reasonable cost.

Had a 2 1/2" custom system dual exhaust w/dynamax and 'H' crossover made and installed for 200.00! (was on a 66' Dodge so no cat)

The only way you might get some positive increase in performance from a dual exhaust system with an inline six, would be to have a header with two seperate collectors that ran down to individual exhaust lines with some kind of crossover.

But dual exhausts off a single split would only garner you a lot of weird stares from most people. It might look cool, but you wouldn't get any increase in performance to speak of.

Depending on what rpm range you want to run you motor at, it would just be better to just increase your exhuast pipe diameter. Anything larger than 2.5" would be pointless, unless you planned on consitantly running greater than 5000 rpm. If you still want your low-end torque, 2.25"(stock) is plenty.

Back