• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beater!

Care to post pics and info of the homemade heater control valve? Is it an upgrade to the shitty plastic control valve in the engine bay.

I installed the Mopar 52080104AC radiator today, and temperatures are basically back to where they before--205 on the highway 215 at a red light--and that is ~91 degree weather.

I also reinstalled the homemade heater control valve, so AC is working well again.

I am going to do some other cooling mods soon, probably buy a FlowKooler water pump, rebuild my trans cooler, and install a power steering cooler. I also want to replace the AC compressor and get it properly recharged but low necessity with the control valve working.

Care to post pics and info of the homemade heater control valve? Is it an upgrade to the shitty plastic control valve in the engine bay.
Back a few pages

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246263473#post246263473

The basic setup is a one-way valve that is controlled by the vacuum line from the HVAC controls and an H-bypass. When the controls are set to OFF or temperature is set to COLD then vacuum blocks off the valve, and coolant returns to the pump through the H-bypass. When the controls are set to an ON position and temperature is set to WARM or above then vacuum is closed off and the valve opens allowing coolant to enter the heater core. The core has less resistance than the bypass so coolant wants to flow through the core.

So far its been working fine. I don't know how reliable it will be over the long-term. The same valve has been in my Cadillac for several years and no trouble

Went wheeling on Potts Mountain Jeep Trail in George Washington National Forest. Its like most of the other forest roads in GWNF, except with some big obstacles sprinkled around, some of them on the trail itself.

I'm wrapping up a mod this week (I hope), and have a couple of other things going, including some more outings planned

Got a deal on some lightly-used JK Rubicon BFG MTs so I picked them up and installed them today. Same size and sidewall rating as my Cooper AT3s but should clean out better.

BFG_MTs_Mounted.jpg

This gives me some breathing room on axle upgrades to make way for 35s

When I installed the JCR winch bumper I also removed the old Hi-Country tow brackets that were the backbone of my old flat-tow setup. I have been meaning to reproduce the setup, but haven't gotten around to it. Looking around for something else last week and I discovered that Warrior Products makessome flat-tow / D-ring adapters that will work for what I'm doing, except they tie into the bumper d-ring tabs and do not require additional brackets. That means it will work for my setup, but I can also use them to recovery anybody else that has a bumper with D-ring tabs. The downside is that you need a taller hitch receiver in order to keep the two vehicles level, but that's not much of a problem. Warrior has the 865 with 3/4" hole and 867 with 7/8" hole, I went with the 3/4" for flexibility.

Warrior_865.sized.jpg

Warrior_Reese_Front.sized.jpg

Also works on the rear

Warrior_Reese_Rear.sized.jpg

Almost have my camping setup ready to go--everything is either out of the cargo area or easily removable. If I pull out the rear seat bottom I have 57" between the hatch and the front floor console, just enough room for a twin-size air mattress

Twin_Air_Mattress_2.jpg

I think I have everything I need for camping, will try it this weekend at Rausch and find out

I did not finish my expedition box for the roof rack but I was able to test out the camping setup with the parts bag on the roof, and everything mostly worked as expected. Made a list of several more things I would need if I were to do it regularly. I've decided that I'm still a hotel kind of guy, but I could do it again.

Also got a chance to test the Rubicon take-off MTs. On dirt trails they seem to perform about the same as my AT3s. They are better at crawling rocks, and much better pulling out of mud, but worse in rain on the street (can lockup the brakes at will). Overall improvement but still looking for the magic hybrid that can do mud and street both.

Unfortunately I also flopped the XJ in the comp course at Rausch on Saturday afternoon. I made a good climb up and out of the pit, then tooled around the sides of it, then made a blind turn back over the hill. My front left tire unloaded and the jeep did a slow-motion tuck-and-roll. The JCR bumper stopped it from going all the way down, and the jeep rolled sideways onto its back, with the roof rack absorbing most of the hit.

Rausch_Flop_1.jpg

Interestingly the Yakima basket held up pretty well, while the crossbar tubes collapsed and the towers broke free from the landing pads. A couple of nutserts tore out of the roof under the luggage rails, and some of the roof sheetmetal is bent, but that is all repairable I think.

Rolled_Roof_Rack_1.jpg

The roof, quarterpanels, and a door are dented, but all can be repaired. Two of the Napier flares are broken but can be replaced. Roof basket, towers, crossbars, and luggage rack rails are all damaged but can be repaired or replaced. Only one window broke (left cargo), and the hatch separated from the latch assembly so that all has to be replaced. A taillight broke and has to be replaced. Both front fenders are damaged but still attached, can replace but I would have to cut them for my existing mods again, may be able to beat them back into shape instead. The fiberglass header panel wasn't crushed but it is broken free and has to be replaced.

I was able to drive it home. We let it sit overnight to drain fluids, then topped off the stuff that was low in the morning. Plugs were clean so we started it up and it ran fine for a while, then the fuel pump crapped out. We spent most of Sunday finidng another and swapping the parts. Steering was fine, brakes were fine, the lights all worked, etc., so I drove it home. Runs and drives fine, just some damaged sheetmetal and fiberglass bits.

I have three immediate options: repair it enough to continue driving (cheapest); make it an offroad-only vehicle (have to buy a truck and trailer); body swap my build onto a newer body (attractive since my floorboard is rotting out, and my existing body is really rough, also provides an opportunity for OBD2 and various other upgrades). Of the three I like #1 the best because its actually drivable now, and its cheap. I also like the idea of #3 if I could find a good clean 99-01 with a blown motor or the like, but it would be a ton of work and I don't have the free time that I used to have. Short term I am working #1 and going to fix what I can to stop it from leaking, make it look as good as possible, and if somebody puts up a 99-01 for sale with a blown motor I will think about it.

I vote for #1 and be able to beat on it a little harder. Then find a late model to swap everything over

I got the bad parts of the rollover damage fixed. I borrowed a Porta-Power from one of my local Jeeper friends to push the body panels out, replaced the nutserts under the luggage rack, and swapped in some tinted glass and a hatch that I got from another buddy. Still have some stuff that needs doing but its good enough to drive

Glass_and_Hatch.sized.jpg

Roof_and_Hatch.sized.jpg

Mostly weatherproof again, so I went to Big Dogs Fall Crawl in VA for some camping and wheeling

2016_10_15_Morning_Camp.sized.jpg

2016_10_15_Cobra.sized.jpg

2016_10_15_Pinnacle.sized.jpg

I've got a couple more trips coming up, but I have some more time off in November and should be able to work on the front clip and some other projects

I did a few more repairs last week, surprised at how little I could actually accomplish.

Apparently there were extra long luggage tracks that were special option, and I have them. They are about 2" longer than the normal ones (center holes are the same but the edges are 1" further out), and so far I haven't found any more of them from part-outs. I will have to hit the junkyard circuit soon, and if I can't find any I will have to hammer mine straight again.

I also found out that the stock tail lights don't fit with the Dirtbound tire carrier setup (about 1" too tall), so I ordered another pair of 2500 tail lights from China and waiting for those to come in. I am probably going to order some JCR quarterpanel guards with the built-in light boxes to protect all of that stuff; from what I can see in the pictures they should fit alright.

Also went back to Anthracite this weekend for a guided tour event. Unfortunately there was a lot of trail damage (not me but everybody else) and I didn't get to do a lot of trail riding. I did get to explore most of the Eastern Reserve, and we had already explored the Western half on the NAC trip there, so now I feel pretty comfortable with the layout, enough to know where to go.

Barney Rubble--this guy sucked up water through a leaky intake gasket, then broke both control arms on the right rear frame. We dragged him out, and he left it in the parking lot, waiting for an estimate.

2016_10_22_AOAA_Barney_Rubble.sized.jpg

Renee's Hill--used to be a blue now its crazy hard, this guy got stuck against the wall, couldn't go backwards, couldn't power forwards. He had no front recovery points, so his buddy came and yanked him off from behind, I heard a bunch of stuff crunching but didn't stick around to look.

2016_10_22_AOAA_Renees_Hill.sized.jpg

Me tooling around in the 700s. At some point around here I went off the paper map. There are some blues, blacks, and reds in here.

2016_10_22_AOAA_700s.sized.jpg

Sunday I did a little more exploration with another group. More technical wheeling trying to get through the narrow ATV trails. A little slower pace, some people got some body damage though.

Need to spend some more time fixing my junk, hopefully get the front end swapped before my trip to Uwharrie in two weeks

Pumped to see this rig still going years later, and for keeping the updates alive. Looks like you made it pretty straight again

The hood didn't make contact with anything. The fiberglass cowl broke in a few places and the fenders are dented up but the hood is still like it was. Its crap though, so if you have one that's black or dark blue I'd be interested in it.

Since I'm posting: I looked around the junkyards here last weekend and could not find a usable front end that was in decent shape. Right now I am trying to get a new Crown fiberglass header panel, and will beat the fenders back into shape.

I've also discovered some pretty heavy trail damage from Fall Crawl and AOAA. My passenger UCA is torn in half, one of my steel rims has a folded lip, two of the MTs have cuts in the sidewall. and probably some more stuff I haven't found yet. Trying to make it through two more events this year then I am going to be down for the winter.

I know I have a white one and a light blue one. I'll look around for a black one.

I also have a header panel that would fit your Jeep. It's white. I'll check condition tonight.

Back