• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beater!

I am impressed! I just joined this forum the other day and discovered your thread. I've read the whole thing. Keep up the good work. You've given me a lot of great ideas to do with my XJ.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Haven't had any real problems with engine temperatures after getting the exhaust repaired, but one thing that always bugged me is that the whole coolant system kind of struggles when sitting at a stop (whether waiting on the trail or sitting at a red light). Highway cruise temperatures are about 200F but sitting at a stop the temps will climb to 215-220F because there's less cold coolant GPM for engine heat to transfer onto. Meanwhile the heat stops working as well in winter, since less hot coolant GPM flowing through the heater core for the cold air to blow across. I figured if the front end is off its a good time to swap the water pump, so I bought a FlowKooler 1747 water pump with higher flow at low RPMs, should give lower engine temperatures at stop / idle / crawl, and also give better heat in winter in the same situations.

FlowKooler_1747_Water_Pump.sized.jpg

I had installed a new pump from NAPA when I swapped engines a few years ago, and it still looks and feels good, so I'm going to put it in the expedition bag as a spare.

Good call on the Flowkooler pump! I run them in both of my jeeps, won't use anything else, they are built way better than any oem replacement. And they do work better at crawl speeds, I've had no heat-related issues since I began using them!
Rich

Where did the Duck Dynasty beard go?! ;)

On the cooler, I remember reading where the stacked plate design was superior? It didn't live up to the hype or you needed more capacity?

I need to add a trans cooler to the ZJ before spring and I tow the camper project.

Glad to see this rig still being built and wheeled.

Where did the Duck Dynasty beard go?! ;)
I took an office job, needed to clean up a little :D

On the cooler, I remember reading where the stacked plate design was superior? It didn't live up to the hype or you needed more capacity?
Stacked plate is proven superior for cooling. Also easier to clean, and not as fragile. I wanted to add capacity on the power steering in particular and thought I would get more from this setup. I also wanted coolers that sat sideways so I could run fluid bottom to top to push air out, so I wanted to change from my old one anyway. If I were doing it again I would probably look for 5x12 horizontal plate coolers.

Glad to see this rig still being built and wheeled.
Yup still having fun with it :) Good to hear from you John

JCR quarterpanel guards with rub rails and light boxes. Tired of breaking tail lights, tired of beating the quarterpanels, tired of breaking cargo glass. Ordered these on Black Friday over the phone but had some trouble getting them, then had some other delays, and just got them installed this weekend

JCR_Quarterpanel_Guards_Painted.sized.jpg

I chose to use the Optronics GloLight 3-way LEDs. These have an outer ring that I ran to the running lights, an inner cluster of red LEDs that I ran to the brake light (top) and turn signal (bottom), and a center white cluster for reverse. The red rings look great at night, and the whites are very bright and 4 of them give a ton of reverse lighting.

The light boxes are designed to use flanged LEDs from the inside, but the boxes are too small for the flanges, so I had to trim the edge off the lights before I could install them.

Optronics_Trailer_Lights_Trimmed.sized.jpg

They fit pretty well against the Dirtbound lower quarterpanel guards. I had to drill new holes in the JCR panels for the Napier flares, but they sit together nicely. Very pleased with the way they came out, for the most part.

JCR_Quarterpanel_Guards_Installed.sized.jpg

Optronics_Reverse_Night.sized.jpg

The biggest complaint I have is that the boxes themselves do not fit plumb, and are kind of crooked against the hatch. As a result the inner box plates have a bit of a gap that gets larger at the bottom.

JCR_Quarterpanel_Light_Boxes.sized.jpg

Its not horrible, but it could have been resolved with another little 1" fold and having the inner box plates pull it all together tight. Also not happy about having to void my LED warranty by chopping the required flange. Typical JCR, high production quality cannot make up for weak design.

Overall very pleased, could be happier. If I were doing it again I would probably look for something with metal tube flares and do that instead of the JCR+Napier combo

Last edited:
Maybe we should have an NAC best beard contest until you grow back. I would totally be into seeing what Jordan would look like. As to myself, well, who knows what I might cultivate. Special award for nacfest, anyone? We have time.

I don't look any different if I shave or not. I think my 7 year old son has more facial hair than I do.

Eric - could you use any RENIX parts? I'm stripping down an 89 MJ.

Maybe we should have an NAC best beard contest until you grow back. I would totally be into seeing what Jordan would look like. As to myself, well, who knows what I might cultivate. Special award for nacfest, anyone? We have time.

I'd be down.. Just had to shave to work in an oil refinery for a few weeks. So once that's done

Did some wheeling at AOAA last weekend. Pretty tough trails in good weather, murder with ice on everything

2017_02_05_AOAA_Slide.sized.jpg

A little damage... still drove it home

2017_02_05_AOAA_Busted.sized.jpg

I'm going to start my D44 axle swap in a couple of weeks. Still need tires, hard to find. Almost all of the 35/12.5R17 are LT with load range E. I don't want to go back down to 15s, I need the room for one-ton otk steering (soon) and bigger brakes from knuckle/hub swap (later). The only two top-tier tire choices are Goodyear MTR Kevlar (C), or BFG KM2 (D). Could go to the extreme on something like Interco Irok and get 36x13.5R17s I suppose

I have a set of new ProComp Mud Tires on nice wheels for sale. They are only 15s and have a 5x5.5 pattern though. You'd have to run adapters. If you're interested I'd sell the set of four for $1,000.

File_000_zps0oxfymqe.jpeg

Back