• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

Okie Terry said:
What kind of car?
2000 Nissan Altima GXE
The check engine light is still on at this point but I'm draining the tank fairly close to empty and then I'm going to refill it without adding acetone. I'm also going to check or replace the fuel filter to make sure the cleaning didn't flush anything out that might have clogged the filter.

The Jeep seems to be running smoother with the acetone in and no problems yet.

Well I added 2.5 oz to my 91' Toyota Corrolla which has a 13 gallon tank. So far a decrease in both performance and mileage. I could also be affected by the cleaning effect or the concentration of Acetone. My next tank I will only put in 1 oz and see if things improve.

So far the only evidience that has reported increases in MPG have been bigger displacement engines and more domestic than imported. (at least engineered oversees)

99 XJ with '03 built 4.6 stroker & 5 speed -- commute 120 miles/day, 90% highway. I normally get 17-19 mpg. First tank (87 octane) with 4 oz. acetone = no improvement, if not slightly (1 mpg) worse milage. Second tank (87 octane) with 2 ox. acetone = slight improvement (1-2 mpg). Same gas, same station, same pump as always. I will go with 3 oz. in the next tank and see where it ends up. The changes are so slight as to fall within the normal range for my milage (the 21 mpg on the second tank is not unheard of, just not very common)...

2000 XJ, no mods, 73K, auto.
Previous mileage averaged to be about 17.5 -18 mpg, 60% highway with speeds around 75 mph.

Last week I added about 3.25oz of lab grade acetone to a full tank of gas. After 232 miles of similar driving, I calculated 19.6 mpg which is an 8 to 11% increase.

I didn't fill up at the same pump each time though so that might make a bit of a difference. I'll keep using it and see if the trend changes.

MaXJohnson said:
No, I don't, but a little Googling should get you some answers.
Maybe you should google it then before bitching and moaning about everybodies results and the concertrations these people are using, since you have no idea whether it is the same as fuel additives or not.

I couldn't care one way or the other. Just pointing out the you are making unfounded claims that these concentrations are usless since no manufacturers are using them, yet you don't know what concetrations the manufacturers are using. Good job.

Ok, so Bottom line, will two 2oz bottles of Curetex nail polish stuff from Wallgreens with a full tank of gas work? Or do I need to get the stuff from like Home Depot? I'd hate to buy a whole friggin gallon of this stuff and not have a big improvement.

Sorry if I annoy anybody with that question, but I'm just looking for a bottom line answer. Current MPG varies ALOT, no matter which station I go to. Seems temp. changes outside have a HUGE effect on my MPG. Now that things are warming up, MPG is up around 13-15. I would LOVE to see readings around 17-19 if I could. I put ATLEAST 20 miles on my XJ every day, multiply that by 7 days a week (I pretty much work 7 days a week) and thats 140 a week. But keep in mind, that's if I don't drive anywhere else.

So please, bottom line, will it work with the nail stuff from the drug store?

I got 7 mpg in my crew cab TBI 454 chevey w/ 7k lb trailer on it, with added acetone...I got 5 mpg on the return trip with same rig+ 3 cars on the trailer.
Next week I'll do the same trip w/out acetone...I'd swear I usually average 6 mpg though...did feel smoother and accelerate quicker...I'd swear it idled down a couple hundred rpm...its always idled high...1000-1100rpm, now down to 800-900rpm...

And then the trip after that I'll see if I can talk the wife into letting me try it in a new diesel.... :kissyou:

Going to try it in my Jeep when I get home from vacation but my experience with my daily driver didn't shed much light.....

'93 Eagle Vision, 3.5 liter 24 valve V6, automatic, 110 mile daily commute, 90% on freeway, average speed of 45 mph.

Mileage has been ~28.50...added 4 oz of 100% acetone to 18 gallon tank of 87 octane and got statistically the same mileage at 27.9 mpg.

I'll try it over a longer test period and see if the results make any deviations from this initial test.

99XJSPORT06 said:
So please, bottom line, will it work with the nail stuff from the drug store?

Make sure it's the nail polish remover that contains acetone. Keep in mind that even acetone nail polish removers contain fragrances and other trace compounds.

Well, I did a shorter version of the desert test yesterday in my '01 Limited. Ended up going from Pasadena to Calico and back again, a round-trip of about 240 miles.

Most of the drive was at sustained freeway speeds with the cruise control set to 75mph, corrected against the GPS. Not 100% accurate, I know, but my speedo overreads by a consistent 3-4mph so it didn't hurt to have at least some form of second opinion. Departing temperature was 80degF; arrival temperature was 60degF.

On both the outward and return journeys, there were massive wind gusts (bad enough that semis were pulling over to wait for them to die down) for approximately 10 miles at the same location. This knocked cruising speed down to about 55mph as the XJ struggled against them and also shot fuel economy right into the toilet.

Pasadena's elevation is given as 864 feet above sea level; Calico's at 2600 feet. Note that this doesn't equate to an 1800-foot straight climb: the Cajon Pass tops out at 4160 feet and you have to cross this in order to get out to the desert communities. Outbound is mostly uphill, inbound is mostly downhill.

With acetone in the tank at a concentration of one ounce to every five gallons (4oz. total) and a fresh fill with 87-octane from the same Chevron I always go to, round-trip average economy was 19.6mpg. Both the trip meter and overhead console were zeroed out before leaving. Usually I'd get around a 16mpg average on this run - I've done it several times before, so am fairly familiar with what to expect. This translates out to a roughly 20% improvement, which possibly could've improved further with less wind and no seven-mile side trip into the canyons in 4FT ;)

So while it's not exactly empirical evidence, it is giving some credence to the theory that acetone does help. Using the cruise control probably didn't hurt either, since it's more or less eliminating trailing throttle.

In any event, at 85c per application, it's well worth it at today's gas prices.

assault51 said:
Maybe you should google it then before bitching and moaning about everybodies results and the concertrations these people are using, since you have no idea whether it is the same as fuel additives or not.

I couldn't care one way or the other. Just pointing out the you are making unfounded claims that these concentrations are usless since no manufacturers are using them, yet you don't know what concetrations the manufacturers are using. Good job.

get a grip...

This thread is about what guys are putting in their gas, not about what's already in it. If you have a need to know how much acetone is in your gas, you'll have to do you own googling.

I can't find any examples of me bitching or moaning about anyones results or the concentrations they are using.

If I've made an unfounded claim in this thread, you'll have to point it out. I can't find one. If you have a valid example of any gasoline producers formula that includes acetone, post it.

You're getting awfull huffy over someone offering an opposing view. This thread will end up with mixed reviews over the benefit of adding acetone. It will then fade into oblivion. A month from now, I doubt any of the current experimenters will still be adding acetone in their tanks. Most will learn why refineries reduce the vapor pressure in summer gas.

I have to wonder why you are so sensative. You aren't sniffing acetone, are you?

You aren't sniffing acetone, are you?

Dont ruin all the fun:wow:

BTW, i just got 16 or so MPG around town with the acetone. hard to say if this in an improvement, i dont usually keep track.

John90XJ said:
Going to try it in my Jeep when I get home from vacation but my experience with my daily driver didn't shed much light.....

'93 Eagle Vision, 3.5 liter 24 valve V6, automatic, 110 mile daily commute, 90% on freeway, average speed of 45 mph.

Mileage has been ~28.50...added 4 oz of 100% acetone to 18 gallon tank of 87 octane and got statistically the same mileage at 27.9 mpg.

I'll try it over a longer test period and see if the results make any deviations from this initial test.

I'd try adding 2 oz to the whole tank next go round-- you have a more efficient engine, most likely.

burntkat said:
I'd try adding 2 oz to the whole tank next go round-- you have a more efficient engine, most likely.

In that regard, you're right. The Eagle is supposed to have 89 octane but runs only a mile per gallon better than with 87 and the cost/benefit analysis doesn't work for the more expensive fuel. But with higher compression it may make a difference changing the recipe a little.

The Jeep, on the other hand, is a Renix motor with 255,000 miles on the clock and should benefit more from this experiment IF there is a difference.

Time will tell...I bought a quart of this stuff which should last for ~120 gallons of fuel. I hope it does something in the Jeep since I plan to drive 2,200 miles roundtrip to Moab in 4 weeks.

ok guys, so maybe i didnt quite read hard enough throught the 14 pages, but i tried.

just wondering if there seems to be any negative effects on the motor of xj's when doing this. I just got done working on my jeep and would prefer not to do anymore engine work, but i could also use the better mpg!

rumblebelly said:
Make sure it's the nail polish remover that contains acetone. Keep in mind that even acetone nail polish removers contain fragrances and other trace compounds.

So in other words my exhaust will smell like nail polish remover????...lol.

did it to a 96 dodge voager a mini van with the on board computer

the driver stated he was getting 11.6 mgp before acetone

we traeted him and he is now up to 18.6 mgp according to the on board computer

no changes in driving habits same ole same ole

treated my full size van and XJ just the other day noticable differences in both

Tried it in my 97 ZJ...It looked like I was getting about 2MPG better until I had to pull my XJ around town on a trailer....Now Im going to have to wait till next tankfull to find out.

Back