• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

Well for the ones that are listening I am still seeing 3-4 MPG better fuel MPG in my XJ and ZJ both with the 4.0 I am on the second tank with the XJ and the ZJ is still on the first. This week I will be going down to the Emmissions testing center for my renew and I'll let you know how it goes. I can use last years to compare but the engine has had 15k put on it and and the exhaust changed out so I don't know how close it would have been anyways. Stay tuned

Oh and as to the question of why we are not seeing acetone used on a widespread basis, I'll bet the same was said about many things when they first appeared. I for one only heard about this a week ago and have seen it getting steam so we will see what happens

crazy4mopar said:
I tried it on the wifes car first :)
It's an 89 olds, 3 liter, EFI, V6
before 19 mpg after 22 mpg, this was on a 155 mile freeway trip
I filled it at chevron before and after the trip it took about 1 1/4 gal. less gas than yesterdays trip. I ran 65-70 mph the whole time same traffic conditions as yesterday

The Olds is up to 23 1/2 MPG now

Wow that's awesome Lee. How much acetone are you using, 2 ounces per 10 gallons? Have you tried more? Just wondering, the site you provided said 2-3 ounces per 10 gallons. I'm filling up, getting my long tranny funnel, and buying my acetone tonight after work. Are all you guys using pure acetone that you can get in a 1 gallon size at Lowes, Home Depot, etc etc? Just wondering, I would be a little hesitant to use nail polish remover as pictured in the link. Are any of you guys also planning on getting the fuel injector cleaner for $20/bottle as well as adding the acetone? I'm doing a tune up on the 89' XJ I picked up and want to pass emissions with flying colors and get it sold so I might do the fuel inj cleaner and acetone as well as new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, the works. :)

Thanks for posting about your findings Lee, I told people at work and my family and they think I will blow up my motor, they tell me to try it 1st and then they will. People are very sceptical these days, I don't blame them though with all the bull we are feed daily in the news etc.

Troy

crazy4mopar said:
The Olds is up to 23 1/2 MPG now

Sweet

XJ is getting 18.5 from about 14.4
ZJ is getting 20.2 from 17.4

Average of 3.45 MPG better

This is about a 50/50 mix of highway and in town for both

The people I have heard back from EVERYONE has seen an inprovment but the little econo cars seem to not see as much of an improvement. I guess because they are already seeing 30+ they have only seen 2-3 on average.

p.s I am useing 2 oz per 10Gal currently

Last edited:

jjvande said:
doesnt this contradict...? i could see that lowering the surface tension would decrease the droplet size...but then that would increase the surface area...and create more rapid vaporization...its a lovely circle of science...increasing vapor pressure would slow down the vaporization..right?

Perhaps - I may have gotten the vapour pressure thing reversed (I haven't had a proper chem course of any variety in about 18 years...) but I do know that lowering the surface tension of a liquid will make it easier to evapourate the liquid. Surface tension controls a few things - mainly the wetting ability of the liquid and the ability of the liquid to evapourate.

Surface tension is caused by a mutual attraction between component molecules (kinda like a micro-scale version of gravity) and is modifiable by additives. One thing soap does is reduce the surface tension of water - without reducing the boiling point, incidentally - to allow it to be "wetter." The wetter water has an easier time getting around and under dirt, and is therefore able to lift it. Better soaps have a more drastic effect on ST, and therefore clean better.

Apparenly, acetone (or dimethyl ketone, as it is properly known) will both reduce the ST of the gasoline - thereby reducing the mutual attraction between molecules and facilitating a phase shift - and has a small effect on the boiling point as well - increasing the speed of vapourisation slightly. The BP reduction (if actually present - haven't measured it, and don't have the means to do so at present,) is incidental, and the reduced ST would be what we are interested in. Reducing ST will not only increase steady-state evapouration at room temperature, but will also increase vapourisation at temperatures (like right before combustion.)

I started on my 88 yesterday (240Kmiles, 4.0/BA-10/231/D30/D35) and I have noted a smoother idle and takeoffs with a failing transmission and a clutch that requires replacing are quite easier. I'm not going to evaluate mileage until the tank has been cleaned and I'm sure of the size of the thing, so I can get the cut rates right... So far, I'm pleased - but I know I'll need a sensor renewal as well (they're 17 years old and already causing some trouble...)

5-90

MaXJohnson said:
I'll be the first to admit that I have a poor memory, but my reading is at least average. If you're having trouble understanding my position, I'll clarify my statement:

Do you know what concentrations are currently used in gasoline additives?

Careful with the acetone, it is on a watch list for meth labs. You can be investigated for purchasing or possesing. It is one of the nations largest drug epidemic's

holeshot said:
Careful with the acetone, it is on a watch list for meth labs. You can be investigated for purchasing or possesing. It is one of the nations largest drug epidemic's

Since a gal will treat about 640 Gals of Gas I hope nobody is going out to buy 10 gals of the stuff. 1 Gal is NOT going to land you on a watch list

holeshot said:

*******. I have a security clearance, and have nothing to hide.

I've probably been investigated more than any ten criminals, just getting my present job.

Last edited by a moderator:

BTW- for anyone interested- I've started a Wiki article on my results as I come up with them. Here's the link: Two Jeeps and a Blazer

The Blazer, alone, impressed the hell out of me today...

By the way, my car's check engine light came on today. I pulled the code and it had something to do with the fuel/air mixture. It may or may not be related to the acetone, but I've never had that code on that car before and I just put my second tank with acetone in about 50 miles ago, so it might be more than a coincidence. I won't be using acetone in the tank for a while to see if it goes away or not.

xj92 said:
By the way, my car's check engine light came on today. I pulled the code and it had something to do with the fuel/air mixture. It may or may not be related to the acetone, but I've never had that code on that car before and I just put my second tank with acetone in about 50 miles ago, so it might be more than a coincidence. I won't be using acetone in the tank for a while to see if it goes away or not.
What kind of car?

xj92 said:

What year, make and model?

If it's GM, I can help figure it out-- I'm pretty good with them, particularly PRE-OBDII stuff...

crazy4mopar said:
I'm not to proud to accept Paypal donations at [email protected] :D
don't even try, you said right up front you found it on another board :laugh3:

but hey, if someone feels like GIVING out money, mine is [email protected] ;)

basalt51 said:
Do you know what concentrations are currently used in gasoline additives?

No, I don't, but a little Googling should get you some answers.

BrettM said:
don't even try, you said right up front you found it on another board :laugh3:

but hey, if someone feels like GIVING out money, mine is [email protected] ;)

HEY no hijacking!! I need more money to buy junk for my jeep!! :laugh2:

Back