• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acetone will increase gas mileage?!?!?

Re: Acetone will increase MPG?!?!

Ok I've done it. It maybe to early to post any actual gain in MPG but there is a definite improvemnet in engine idle and it seems as there is a definite increase in power. I will monitor MPG on the next tank. I used 1.5 oz of Acetone at 1/2 tank.

Last edited:

Roll-over said:
... BUT, I will cut new pieces and set up a control set of unexposed tube and gasoline bathed tube... lets say two weeks duration?

Ok, week one is over and the samples have been taken out for a week of drying the data so far is both fuel line samples show ~10% growth across the diameter. the filler hose samples shows ~5% growth (measurements are of the OD to purposely exagerate any changes). The acetone samples do SEEM more compressable (I don't have any way of measuring this.)

Once everything dries out I'll let you know if the acetone causes more damage to the rubber than the gas. :)

I'm now on my fifth tank of gas since this experiment started, having filled up yesterday. The first two had acetone in them at the one-ounce-per-five-gallons ratio we've been using as a de facto benchmark. The third tank was plain-Jane 87-octane; the fourth went back to the acetone mix.

Tanks 1, 2, and 4 came from the same Chevron I fill up at normally. Tank 3 was also from Chevron, but at a filling station approximately 100 miles away in the desert. Ranges recorded on tanks 1, 2, and 4: 360, 401 (long haul out to the desert), and 326 miles. Tank 3: 292 miles. This gives a total of 1379 test miles.

Dividing range by tank capacity (20 gallons), we get 18mpg, 20mpg, and 16.3 mpg (respectively) for tanks 1, 2, and 4. For tank 3, this works out at 14.6mpg. Simple math gives an improvement of 23% on tank 1, 36% on tank 2, and 11% on tank 4 over tank 3's mileage.

With the exception of tank 2 (deliberately run to test long-range economy), both were my usual mixed town/freeway driving. Cruise control was used wherever possible with all tanks to keep throttle at the optimum minimal position necessary to maintain the set speed. For the range test, a crusing speed of 75mph was set, though traffic dictated occasional fluctuations above and below that number. GPS was used to double-check speedo accuracy; a constant over-read at the needle of between 3 and 4mph was found.

Anyway, the fifth tank got another shot of acetone, largely due to the rather dramatic dip seen in tank 3. Personally, I intend to keep running it for at least the foreseeable future - if we had 89c/gallon gasoline, it'd pretty much be a moot point unless the goal was to extend range in remote areas. Hopefully nothing will blow up, but after nearly 1500 miles no problems have been seen. YMMV.

ZPD said:
So if I do this will my XJ fold up like a taco?
Also what do you do if you get acetone on your hootis?

:laugh3:
Doubt getting it on you will hurt anything considering its used to take fingernail polish off.

I put some in my ZJ and got 14 MPG pulling my XJ on a trailer around town. Normaly I get that on the freeway without pulling anything.
Can't wait to see what I get without the trailer attached.

I recently completed a 500 miles round trip getting 18.6 mpg. on the highway with a 3.5" RE lift and stock tires. (for when I'm not on the trails). This past weekend with the 2.5 ounces of Acetone for 15 gallons of gas netted me a total of 20.8 mpg with 89% hghway/15% city driving on the first tank of gas. Total mileage was 290mi. The first 100 miles of highway driving saw a high of 21.6mpg. I am pleased with the results, but I am may reserve this for road trips until the verdict is in on the metal wear.

In chemistry, acetone (also known as dimethyl ketone, 2-propanone, propan-2-one and beta-ketopropane) is the simplest representative of the ketones. Acetone is a colourless mobile flammable liquid with a pleasant, somewhat fruity odor, melting at -95.4 °C and boiling at 56.53 °C. It has a relative density of 0.819 (at 0 °C). It is readily soluble in water, ethanol, ether, etc., and itself serves as an important solvent. The most familiar household use of acetone is as the active ingredient in nail polish remover. Acetone is also used to make plastic, fibers, drugs, and other chemicals.

As a member of the ketone bodies it is present in very small quantity in normal urine and in the blood. Larger quantities can be found after starvation and in diabetic patients with severe insulin deficiency (that is untreated or inadequately treated persons); a fruity smell of the breath caused by acetone is one symptom of diabetic ketoacidosis. See ketone bodies for more information.

Acetone occurs naturally in plants, trees, volcanic gases, forest fires, and as a product of the breakdown of body fat. It is present in vehicle exhaust, tobacco smoke, and landfill sites. Industrial processes contribute more acetone to the environment than natural processes. It is found among the products formed in destructive distillation of wood, sugar, cellulose, etc., and for this reason it is always present in crude wood spirit, from which the greater portion of it may be recovered by fractional distillation.

It forms a hydrazone with phenyl hydrazine and an oxime with hydroxylamine. Reduction by sodium amalgam converts it into isopropyl alcohol; oxidation by chromic acid gives carbon dioxide and acetic acid. It reacts with ammonia to form di- and triacetoneamines. It also unites directly with hydrocyanic acid to form the nitrile of α-oxyisobutyric acid.

By the action of various reagents, such as lime, caustic potash, hydrochloric acid, etc., acetone is converted into condensation products, mesityl oxide C6H10O, phorone C9H14O, etc., being formed. On distillation with sulphuric acid (H2SO4), it is converted into mesitylene C9H12 (symmetrical trimethyl benzene). Acetone has also been used in the artificial production of indigo. In the presence of iodine and an alkali it gives iodoform.

Health effects

Swallowing very high levels of acetone can result in unconsciousness and damage to the skin in the mouth. Skin contact can result in irritation and damage to the skin.

The smell and respiratory data are known mostly from animal studies. Kidney, liver, and nerve damage, increased birth defects, and lowered reproduction ability of males (only) occurred in animals exposed long-term. It is not known if these same effects would be exhibited in humans.

Interestingly, acetone has been shown to have anticonvulsant effects in animal models of epilepsy, in the absence of toxicity, when administered in millimolar concentrations (see: Likhodii et al, 2003).

been googlin for a while...no place is it mentioned that it will damage metal. It's not classified as a corrosive.

rainer said:
he told me they used to do this back in his racing days. He also said that it would destroy your engine. He told me it would eventually eat away at the metal.

What destroyed his engine was his racing. I spent half of my college education in an organic chemistry lab. The thought of acetone eating away or reacting with any metal under any condition is absurd.
The effectiveness of acetone as a paint/resin solvent has no relation to its effects on metal on a molecular level or on the level of common sense. It is stored/sold in flimsy steel jugs, right?

Last edited:

Ya you are absolutely correct. Acetone is sold in flimsy metal containers.
I have to agree with the verdict! Racing destroyed his engine. I know my 89 Cherokee is running much better. It has better performance and seems to be getting better fuel economy. I am going to continue using Acetone until someone has positive proof of negative effects on the engine or until it blows up!

for those that have been asking, and others that may:

my mileage testing is on hold as my Jeep is currently going under the knife. Finally got some time off work when it wasn't raining, and am putting on my Clayton's longarms, 6" RE coils, and building rear spring packs and changing shackles. Everything's done- I'm just fighting the shackles <rust, and no way to get an impact on 'em> and waiting for my Rancho RS99012's.

To keep the info I gather accurate, I will run a few tanks alternating with and without acetone.

The idea that acetone is an acid is ridiculous. Read an MSDS, folks! It's SPECIFICALLY addressed!

I have started a similar test, but am currently out of the country (Brazil)
But I added 4 oz to 3/4 of a tank. The Jeep seems to be running smoother but I don't know about power. Or maybe I am just being to picky.
When I get back I will run the tank dry (well almost) and will log milage and % acetone, I typically use a tank a week.
We'll see....

Brendan

For those of you who love to over think things:

NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards
Acetone CAS 67-64-1
(CH3)2CO RTECS AL3150000
Synonyms & Trade Names
Dimethyl ketone, Ketone propane, 2-Propanone DOT ID & Guide
1090 127
Exposure
Limits NIOSH REL: TWA 250 ppm (590 mg/m3)
OSHA PEL†: TWA 1000 ppm (2400 mg/m3)
IDLH 2500 ppm [10%LEL] See: 67641 Conversion 1 ppm = 2.38 mg/m3
Physical Description
Colorless liquid with a fragrant, mint-like odor.
MW: 58.1
BP: 133°F
FRZ: -140°F
Sol: Miscible

VP: 180 mmHg
IP: 9.69 eV

Sp.Gr: 0.79

Fl.P: 0°F
UEL: 12.8%
LEL: 2.5%

Class IB Flammable Liquid: Fl.P. below 73°F and BP at or above 100°F.
Incompatibilities & Reactivities
Oxidizers, acids
Measurement Methods
NIOSH 1300, 3800; OSHA 69
See: NMAM or OSHA Methods
Personal Protection & Sanitation
Skin: Prevent skin contact
Eyes: Prevent eye contact
Wash skin: When contaminated
Remove: When wet (flammable)
Change: No recommendation

First Aid (See procedures)
Eye: Irrigate immediately
Skin: Soap wash immediately
Breathing: Respiratory support
Swallow: Medical attention immediately

Important additional information about respirator selection
Respirator Recommendations NIOSH
Up to 2500 ppm: (APF = 10) Any chemical cartridge respirator with organic vapor cartridge(s)*/(APF = 25) Any powered, air-purifying respirator with organic vapor cartridge(s)*/(APF = 50) Any air-purifying, full-facepiece respirator (gas mask) with a chin-style, front- or back-mounted organic vapor canister/(APF = 10) Any supplied-air respirator*/(APF = 50) Any self-contained breathing apparatus with a full facepiece
Emergency or planned entry into unknown concentrations or IDLH conditions: (APF = 10,000) Any self-contained breathing apparatus that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other positive-pressure mode/(APF = 10,000) Any supplied-air respirator that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other positive-pressure mode in combination with an auxiliary self-contained positive-pressure breathing apparatus
Escape: (APF = 50) Any air-purifying, full-facepiece respirator (gas mask) with a chin-style, front- or back-mounted organic vapor canister/Any appropriate escape-type, self-contained breathing apparatus
Exposure Routes inhalation, ingestion, skin and/or eye contact
Symptoms Irritation eyes, nose, throat; headache, dizziness, central nervous system depression; dermatitis
Target Organs Eyes, skin, respiratory system, central nervous system

See also: INTRODUCTION See ICSC CARD: 0087 See MEDICAL TESTS: 0002

Tried it out just for kicks. 65 miles this morning on a quarter tank, which is about the upper limit of what I have achieved while highway driving. Not bad but not phenomenal.

BTW, if you take a diet coke can and cut it at the top of the UPC barcode, it is almost exactly 4 oz.

I haven't noticed much of an improvement using 4 ounces in my 20 gallon tank in my 98' ZJ. I will try it again now that I need another tank. Gas prices sure suck, what the heck is happening? I don't believe there is a need for the increase, someone is getting very rich off of this price hike and I know it's not any of us, we are all getting poorer. :laugh3: I think I got only 0.5 mpg increase if that. I'm using acetone I got at Lowe's. I might try out the 100% 16 ounce Walgreens one if I don't see an increase in mpg on my next tank.

I gotta tell ya guys.. As much as I want to be the wet blanket on this party.. It REALLY looks to me like this acetone trick works.

For those who caught my previous posts I think this is all total and utter B.S.. But I figured I'd try it. As well, my wheel time (during the week) is nearly rock solid identical every day. As a result, my gas mileage is nearly always exact.

I threw some acetone in about 2fl oz in a fresh full tank of gas. My initial 50 miles ended up being more "city" than typical BUT I am still seeing what seems to be a signifigant improvement.

Generally I hit half tank between 195 and 210 miles. Every single time. It's gotten to the point where I can predict it based on my driving. Yes, I have a lot of free time to think while I drive!

As of this morning I hit 210 miles at 3/8th of a tank (used). So I was at my half tank mileage marker a full 1/8th of a tank early. My fractions may be off, but the short story is I am very much seeing an improvement. More so than some subtle subconcious " I want this to work" could make happen.

I'm shocked! I am thinking maybe 25 mpg average. We'll see in a day or 2.

rainer said:
I've talked to the mechanic at work about this subject and he told me they used to do this back in his racing days. He also said that it would destroy your engine. He told me it would eventually eat away at the metal.
I don't know what to believe anymore. I think I am going to try it. My 89 is gulping gas like ther'es no tomorrow.

I think its time to find a new mechanic, If It ate away metal why is it sold and stored in metal cans?

I will try ton the 2.5 2x mj and see the results

we will see.

dakotus said:
Im assuming you have to add acetone to every fill up right? How are you guys measuring this stuff out?

Yes, add it every tank at the 1 ounce per 5 gallons concentration. The easiest way I found to measure it out was to get a bottle of nail polish remover (I used a 6oz. Kroger's own-brand bottle - it was a) cheap and b) plastic, so no worries about it shattering under the back seat), dump the contents down the sink, measure in 4oz. of water from a Pyrex container and mark the level on the bottle, dump the water out, then add acetone to the marked level.

Just make sure you use a nail polish remover bottle and not any random plastic container if you go this route... Acetone will dissolve most plastics *very* rapidly.

casm said:
... Ranges recorded on tanks 1, 2, and 4: 360, 401 (long haul out to the desert), and 326 miles. Tank 3: 292 miles. This gives a total of 1379 test miles.

Dividing range by tank capacity (20 gallons), we get 18mpg, 20mpg, and 16.3 mpg (respectively) for tanks 1, 2, and 4. For tank 3, this works out at 14.6mpg. Simple math gives an improvement of 23% on tank 1, 36% on tank 2, and 11% on tank 4 over tank 3's mileage. YMMV.

your "simple math" is an interesting method for calculating MPG. Have you tried dividing miles traveled by gallons used?

You may be getting better mileage than you think :)

I was thinking of using a battery acid gravity tester to transfer the acetone. You know the ones with a big bulb on the top so you can suck up the battery fluid. Just drop out the part that actually does the measuring and then make some marks up the outside. Save having to transfer everything twice and you get good control to put it into the filler of the tank too. Only thing is I think most are made from a glass tube aren't they? I have used them for years without braeking one but it is not kept in the car.

DUH. Why did I not think of that the other day when I neede to transfer small amounts of acetone accurately.

good on ya, Aussie ;)

Back