• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Humboldt-Cherokee Blog.

yeah, we had some serious fun yesterday!
it was good meeting you, Crystal, & your pooch.
we will have to set up a build party at my fun factory in a few weeks.
next weekend is bad, but possibly the weekend after that...

That would be awesome and sounds like it might work for me. I'll have to start a new thread so I don't clutter Sean's blog.

Haha no worries man. You did great on that hill. I was just as nervous as you 2 years ago when I did the deer valley trail.

Btw, if you're going to lift it, just go for the km2s. You'll be much happier. My at's are super heavy and they wear funny. And I had Zero traction in the mud on Saturday.

I already ruled out mud terrains. I put way more street miles on this Jeep than I do offroad (~98% at this point) and I can't really justify the compromises of a MT for this Jeep and I wouldn't take advantage of their benefits enough either. The most aggressive tire I am considering is the Duratrac's. More traction may come in the form of a front locker or limited slip later on. But for now, I think with a couple inches of lift, discos, skids, and AT's, I will have more Jeep than I'll even be able to make full use of for a while.

BTW - Did you say that you didn't go up the hill that I ended up on? You got ahead of me and when I saw you coming down that hill, I assumed you went to the left and looped back around which is why I drove up it. :doh: It was a good learning experience for sure and a good way to break in a newb.

Haha, yeah I did not go up that. I made an attempt at the first little mud hill, and decided I shouldnt lead you up there. I went past it, and you went up it. Ooopps!

Honestly, the all terrain is weird. They love to wear like shit on the side of the tread. Mine are retreads, but my dad has the real ones and they wear the shoulder lugs badly.

The duratrac is cool, but I cant stand the tread. Kinda ugly.

Haha, yeah I did not go up that. I made an attempt at the first little mud hill, and decided I shouldnt lead you up there. I went past it, and you went up it. Ooopps!

Honestly, the all terrain is weird. They love to wear like shit on the side of the tread. Mine are retreads, but my dad has the real ones and they wear the shoulder lugs badly.

The duratrac is cool, but I cant stand the tread. Kinda ugly.

??????

never heard of this said issues with BFGs...

might try to check tire pressure if your dad is wearing the outter tread...could be low. i have had 7 sets of the A/Ts in many different sizes and they by far have the best wear characteristics of any tire i have ran...IME.. been running 31's on the ZJ for awhile now and i love them.

SWEET PIXS!!

Last edited:
alignment? ball joints? tire pressure?

His all terrains are probably wearing weird because they are load E. And it's a 265/75 on a 16x7.

Mine wear weird ONLY on the front right. My ball joints are bad, but left side only. And my toe is pretty much perfect, 1/8th of an inch toe in.

They're good tires, but they just arent aggressive enough. I only wheel once a month, so they're ok.

The Duratracs won't win any beauty contests, but I like the idea that they are a newer design compared to BFGs 25 year old A/T's. They are more aggresive than I originally planned though. Something like Terra Grappler's or Revo's might suit me best.

Yeah, I'm just not a fan of the tread.

Revo's are pretty bad, every set I see is bald.

The terra grappler is not too bad.

The a/t works well, but it just doesnt like mud.

So one of my vibes started back up after hollister, and went away when I took the Tom Woods shaft out. Wouldn't you know it, the cardan joint was binding. I called the company, and they sent UPS and picked it. Hopefully they fix it for free, because it has 700 miles on it, almost all street.

The rear driveline started vibing again too.

So one of my vibes started back up after hollister, and went away when I took the Tom Woods shaft out. Wouldn't you know it, the cardan joint was binding. I called the company, and they sent UPS and picked it. Hopefully they fix it for free, because it has 700 miles on it, almost all street.

The rear driveline started vibing again too.

I think you are off to a great start considering THEY sent UPS to pick it up. I don't have any experience with them and I have heard good things about them, but I am always shocked when a company goes out of their way to help their customer and to stand by their product.

Good luck on the vibes, again. :roll:

Yeah. I would be mad considering it's a 300 dollar shaft made by the best company and it was binding, but awesome service helps that. I have no where to wheel anyway.

And the shop in fortuna just offered me a full aa sye and Tom woods shaft unused for 400. Maybe that would help.

Yeah. I would be mad considering it's a 300 dollar shaft made by the best company and it was binding, but awesome service helps that. I have no where to wheel anyway.

And the shop in fortuna just offered me a full aa sye and Tom woods shaft unused for 400. Maybe that would help.

Are the aa sye's pretty good? Sucks your getting all these vibes! Hope everything works out!

400 clams seems to be a good price. I paid over $600 for my Advance Adapters SYE and CV shaft this time last year. I was impressed with the AA quality and the HD output shaft is a thing of beauty.

He also said he could help me out with the install. I'd be willing to throw him 50 bucks just to have it on the hoist for a couple hours.

SYE install while on a lift would be the way to go. Well worth the $50 to keep from lying on the back while installing the output shaft cover, driveshaft, linkage, etc.

Make sure you have a good set of long snap ring pliers, too. Part of the reason my SYE install took so long was the three trips to local stores in search of the right tools. Once I bought the right ones, everything went together perfectly.

Went on a little road trip up to Fern Canyon. I set my jeep to the fuel economy tune with my dad's superchip programmer, and got 80 miles to just over 1/4 of a tank.
4226dca5.jpg

I freaking love my wheels. I dont think I can part with them for any load C tire. haha

Saw some birds.
55667e9b.jpg

The canyon!
c6922253.jpg

cb773826.jpg

A beach Picture.
d488c68a.jpg

And a walk in the redwoods. (You can see how small my mom looks in the picture, next to the massive trees.)
7778a025.jpg

All of this was about 70 miles from Eureka CA.

Back