• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Humboldt-Cherokee Blog.

Yeah it did pretty well. Skinny tires work great for me. That's why I'm going to the 255/85/16 because it's way lighter and skinnier than a normal 33.

That looks like a beautiful area and those are some very large redwoods. And yes, your rims are hot.

I got my Tom Woods front shaft back. They fixed the binding, and re balanced it.

The front vibes are better, but i still get a loud harmonic drone at 63+.

I think my front pinion is still too low, so I am going to raise it a little bit more, and see how the caster feels.

The best solution for me might be to cut off the C's, set the pinion, and re weld the outers for the correct caster.

Changed the front pinion angle. The front vibes are nearly gone! I think I've solved it as best as I can. I'm happy!

Its about time you got that bucket of bolts to stop vibrating. Congrats on getting her fixed.

The Duratracs won't win any beauty contests, but I like the idea that they are a newer design compared to BFGs 25 year old A/T's. They are more aggresive than I originally planned though. Something like Terra Grappler's or Revo's might suit me best.
I have heard even tho really aggressive that the Duratrac's run well and get good life. The Bridgestone REVO's are the best tires I have ever owned on anything. Even the AT 693/695 are not too far behind.
Unfortunately they dont make them in the size I want anymore. SO I am looking at other options.

Yeah, I'm just not a fan of the tread.

Revo's are pretty bad, every set I see is bald.

The terra grappler is not too bad.

The a/t works well, but it just doesnt like mud.
How many miles do the REVO's have? Part of it could be the load rating is not high enough for the certain vehicles they are on? As said above the BEST AT tire I have ever run, 2nd is the at 693/695 And the Dayton Timberlines.
I have some BFG AT KO's on my XJ and they suck. The only thing that actually surprised me was how they did in the little bit of mud I have been it, they dont clean for crap tho.
Since REVO's are no longer in the size I need this is a small list of tires I am debating upon.

General Grabber AT2 (very reasonable pricing) Similar to BFG AT, yes. But lugs placed in a better pattern.

Falken Wildpeak AT (decent price, and can get thru most mud with no issues) Also has 45day money back guarantee, granted shop you get them from honors this..
Bridgestone also has a 30 day mney back guarantee as well

Big O Bigfoot XT (again, decent price + really good warranty) Agressive pattern, wears really decent 50k+ tire I believe

and possibly Firestone Destination ATs; similar to Timberlines and Dueler AT NON-REVO, decent price, but herd mixed reviews on these.

I was speaking in general about the REVO's. I've seen some on zj's, and they just look terrible.

I dont think I'll run At's again. They're just terrible in mud, and especially on my rig, I need more aggressive tires. They do great in sand however, and the hardpack dirt is great too. I only put about 200-300 miles a month. (Maybe less)

Sean...

You've seen my rig as built daily driver; being capable offroad, but useful on the street as well. After living in Humboldt for 18 years, I've learned that have MT's around here, far outweigh AT's in the long run. You don't always "need" MT's, but they're great to have in times when you do need them...

I run BFG MT's, and can easily get about 45k on them with normal rotations.

I have been toying with the idea of just buying a nice cheap set of cragar d windows, and running the 33x10.50r15 km2. 16 inch rim- tires are freaking pricey.

I've got lots of time. I plan on getting a new set right before summer, so I can wheel with new meats!

By the way, Ivan, we need to do Usal beach again!

Yeah, they're much better. The only annoying thing now is my damn whining rear axle. Maybe once I stop whining about vibes, the axle will stop too!

Sounds good Mike. We should plan a longer trip, I went up there 2 weeks ago, it was awful. It was raining on the snow, which was sad. There was some bad ice too, I actually spun out going down from the radio towers.

And the weather has been great, which is bad for snow.

Once it starts snowing again, I'm down.

I noticed today that my front axle is leaking from the passenger side tube. This is where I installed the disconnect block off seals. I guess that's not working.

I wonder if a set of Alloy USA outer tube seals will work?

I noticed today that my front axle is leaking from the passenger side tube. This is where I installed the disconnect block off seals. I guess that's not working.

I wonder if a set of Alloy USA outer tube seals will work?

Outer seals won't help. They are only to keep mud out. Need to change the inner seal. Not too big a job. Block off shouldn't be an issue either. Just need to use caution when sliding the shaft in. (that what she said;))

LoL. I guess I'll have to pull it apart.

I dont know where to find the part. It much be the seal that came in the disconnect block off kit. (Im running a front axle out of a 90)

Back