• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Humboldt-Cherokee Blog.

Ouch, that might suck. We did have to use Tim's custom case spreader to get that center section out before.

I scored a free set of leaf springs yesterday. I plan to remove one leaf, and use it as a boost for my rubicon packs.

After being up in Humboldt for a while, I've realized that I would be willing to go to more places If I had a winch.

I might end up selling my rigidco bumper. I love it to death, but I would have to cut it up too much to put a winch in it. I'd rather let some else have it, in good shape!

Im a big fan of light weight armor, and I need a winch.

Im considering one of these!
http://www.tntcustoms.com/bumperfrontxj.aspx

I've been looking at that bumper too for a while now, pretty much for the same reasons you are... But I'm have a hard time parting with my non-winch Protofab pre-runner bumper right now.

I've also been toying around with the idea of tucking a winch, behind the front cross member, right in front of the Harmonic balancer. That way I could keep my existing bumper.

I've seen a few thread write up's about this set up, and it's rather appealing. I like the fact that the winch would be out of sight, out of mind for potential thieves...

Hmmm.....

A tucked winch would be cool, but it'd be a pain to switch the lever, and plug it in and what not.

I also love the look of a visible winch.

Hey whats up guys? I didnt realize there was a Humboldt post on here. Know of anyone selling a 97 and up cherokee for cheap in the area? My cherokee was totaled the othernight by a drunk driver and im looking to upgrade to the newer style to swap my lift and parts on. Im sure youve seen my jeep around town it was the super shiney silver 89 xj on 33s.

Might be selling your bumper, eh? I really didn't want to add a bumper to my XJ though. Just not needed for my uses...but it does look good. :) Mostly just keeping this a lightweight trail rig and this bumper probably adds 40 pounds to the nose of the Jeep.

It's light weight for sure. It's made of all plate, no tube. I'd estimate 56 pounds total with brackets.

I've seen it in person, twice.

It's super nice, but I can't weld, nor do I want to cut up my rigid.

Mine.
008cb962.jpg

Forsure!

I've become friends with the owner of Fat rat enterprises, the shop in fortuna Ca. Matt is pretty into Cherokees!

They were building an xj for a customer, and ordered a rock hard cage for his 93 xj. However rock hard sent the cage for a 97-01.
They paid 1000, plus 200 for shipping, and rock hard doesn't want to pay to ship it back. That's 1200 bucks, I'm getting it for 700. i would NEVER buy one, if it was over that.

It's incredibly beefy, lightweight, and well built. The tie in plates are very big, and it comes with plates that go below the sheet metal of the floor to sandwich it.

I've put money down on it, but its not paid off.

Nice score on the cage! I've been happy with my T&T, ever since I got one that fit right... They're supposedly making them on a CNC bender now so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the re-design they did on it last year, but the extra support for the front corners is probably a good idea.

As for winch security with this bumper, while thieves can do pretty much anything, it would be a major PITA to remove the winch with the bumper installed on the vehicle. That skid plate built onto the bottom of it pretty much blocks access to the front two bolts. They (and I) recommend installing the winch on the bumper, then installing it as a unit on the vehicle.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but is winch theft really that common of an occurance?

Thanks! Good advice.

I don't know, I really dig the new design. It's a little more simple looking. I was thinking about adding a hoop and winch to my rigidco... but a nice hoop from jcr costs 100 shipped, a winch plate is like 70, and I can't even do the fab work, so I say F it, I'd rather just get a nice pre set up winch bumper.

Thanks. It's nice to just drive it.

Beside the cage, I don't really have anything in mind right now as far as upgrades. These tires are fine, and the vibes are pretty much gone. I will go to Bighorns before summer.

My front axle needs new tube seals, and ball joints, but it's so nice to just NOT work on it. It's running well. The most I've done in the last month was greasing all the joints, and washing it.

Back