• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Monster Cherokee

Its annoying how some of you like to bash on those that may not have the time or expertise to build their own rig. I grew up in front of a computer more or less and I have been working in the IT field for more than 14 years now. I make decent money, but with my son and work commitments I simply dont have the time to work on my rig, let alone do any custom fabrication. Does that suddenly exclude me from hanging out with the "cool kids"? Sure I can do most simple stuff on my own, and I certainly dont mind getting my hands dirty but am I some how less of a peson because I dont have the time (or a garage/tools for that matter) to work on my own truck? Why does it even matter? That would be like me going into a computer forum and mocking all the members for not having time to build and compile their own operating system. Seriously who gives a crap who built the damn truck, just appreciate it for what it is.

You may have a point, it is annoying how some like to bash on those that don’t build their own rig. For a show rig or a street Jeep, and I see nothing wrong with the checkbook wheelers taking the jeep to a shop and just handing over the keys. People do this every day and it keeps shops open and mechanics busy.

But for anyone that wants to go very far off the road, with out the heavy hand holding from some of the off road groups. He will need the skill and know how to fix what breaks, and even the best brand new parts can break, and no matter how good you think it is, every thing can fail.

So for me it is not the "cool kids" that I like to go out with, it is the people I don't have to crawl under his or her jeep every time it breaks. It is not much fun spending your well planed expensive vacation trying to figure out how some ones jeep was built in the first place, just so you can fix it enough to get it off the trail.

For me it is much more annoying when someone shows up with a checkbook rig to Goatfest in Johnson Valley. Then wants to come out with the group but has no clue how to fix his jeep if it did break, or the tools or the spare parts or even the understanding of why he should know how his rig works.

You may have a point, it is annoying how some like to bash on those that don’t build their own rig. For a show rig or a street Jeep, and I see nothing wrong with the checkbook wheelers taking the jeep to a shop and just handing over the keys. People do this every day and it keeps shops open and mechanics busy.

But for anyone that wants to go very far off the road, with out the heavy hand holding from some of the off road groups. He will need the skill and know how to fix what breaks, and even the best brand new parts can break, and no matter how good you think it is, every thing can fail.

So for me it is not the "cool kids" that I like to go out with, it is the people I don't have to crawl under his or her jeep every time it breaks. It is not much fun spending your well planed expensive vacation trying to figure out how some ones jeep was built in the first place, just so you can fix it enough to get it off the trail.

For me it is much more annoying when someone shows up with a checkbook rig to Goatfest in Johnson Valley. Then wants to come out with the group but has no clue how to fix his jeep if it did break, or the tools or the spare parts or even the understanding of why he should know how his rig works.

very well put my good sir

I totally get that, for the same reason I wouldnt want to be gun fight with somebody whos never shot a gun before. Believe me I totally understand. Im not saying go about modifying the hell out of your rig and then take it out to the middle of nowhere unprepared and expect everybody else to fix it when it breaks. Hell I take plenty of time to make sure I understand what is going on in my vechiles, I even do some of the work myself when I can. If you're going to play the game you better learn the rules. Then again, Im not crawling up the rocks at Donner Ranch or Moab either.

I just get a little annoyed that no matter where I go, and regardless of the topic, there always some folks that feel it is necessary to belittle anybody with less experience than themselves. Constructive criticism or advice is one thing, attempting insult simply because somebody may have had a shop install their lift instead of doing it themselves is childish and ridiculous. Personally, whether I have the experience or not, I would still rather have a shop do most of the major work, if not simply because they would be expected to stand behind their workmanship.

It is not much fun spending your well planed expensive vacation trying to figure out how some ones jeep was built in the first place, just so you can fix it enough to get it off the trail.

For me it is much more annoying when someone shows up with a checkbook rig to Goatfest in Johnson Valley. Then wants to come out with the group but has no clue how to fix his jeep if it did break, or the tools or the spare parts or even the understanding of why he should know how his rig works

Why don't you just tell people they can't ride with you? There have been lots of times when someone with a less capable rig, less capable skills or wrong attitude asked to come with our group and we have said no. There have been lots of times when we said yes. Its your vacation/weekend, don't bother with people you don't want to.

For the others... why does it always matter how someone got the Jeep they have? Built, bought or borrowed; so what? If they are having fun and don't endanger people, land or property let them enjoy what they have. It doesn't always make sense to build it, and some people don't get the satisfaction out of building it.

To the OP: Nice Jeep, hope you're happy with what you have. Looks like you were having fun in the pics.

Why don't you just tell people they can't ride with you? There have been lots of times when someone with a less capable rig, less capable skills or wrong attitude asked to come with our group and we have said no. There have been lots of times when we said yes. Its your vacation/weekend, don't bother with people you don't want to.

For the others... why does it always matter how someone got the Jeep they have? Built, bought or borrowed; so what? If they are having fun and don't endanger people, land or property let them enjoy what they have. It doesn't always make sense to build it, and some people don't get the satisfaction out of building it.

To the OP: Nice Jeep, hope you're happy with what you have. Looks like you were having fun in the pics.

Yeah! I was having to much funn! I can't wait for the rubicon trail in july! It will be nice to have a little vacation

I just get a little annoyed that no matter where I go, and regardless of the topic, there always some folks that feel it is necessary to belittle anybody with less experience than themselves. Constructive criticism or advice is one thing, attempting insult simply because somebody may have had a shop install their lift instead of doing it themselves is childish and ridiculous.

Dude, you have to expect that. It's the internet, in here everyone is an expert and a tough-guy.

NAXJA once was a place that people would boast about the great understanding of the XJ/MJ. They had pride in the knowledge they had built up over the years working on his or her Jeep.

Most of the major off road products and upgrades you can buy today for the XJ/MJ are from some of the original members of this board. Products you can buy today to upgrade the XJ/MJ were thought up, fabricated, tested and used by NAXJA members before the design was sold to the larger manufactures.

Members of NAXJA today post up threads on installing La Barren hood vents as advanced fabricating or make threads about how to install a bolt on a lift kit.

Nothing wrong with that, just a different demographic then it was.

I just get a little annoyed that no matter where I go, and regardless of the topic, there always some folks that feel it is necessary to belittle anybody with less experience than themselves. Constructive criticism or advice is one thing, attempting insult simply because somebody may have had a shop install their lift instead of doing it themselves is childish and ridiculous. Personally, whether I have the experience or not, I would still rather have a shop do most of the major work, if not simply because they would be expected to stand behind their workmanship.

I'll change Lettermans words a little bit..

wheeling is half the fun. Touching every Nut/bolt/screw/plug/wire/device on the jeep, and knowing almost exactly what the problem is everytime you have a problem is the other half of the fun.

the hobby is not JUST wheeling, its knowing the rig inside and out like a well used Rubix cube. a 2000 peice puzzle you can tear apart and put back together in record time.. and a shop-built-shop-maintained rig will not get you off the trail in an emergency. a mag light and First aid kit will only get you so far. But you gotta have the spare parts and the knowledge on how to replace them in the event of an emergency... Nobody wants to waste more then 10 minutes helping you on the trail..

I know it's rare, but some of the "checkbook" wheelers out there have "been there, done that". I aspire to be a checkbook wheeler someday. Just because I might be able to afford to drop my rig off at a shop and let them worry about it, doesn't necessarily mean that I am clueless. I'll still be able to get my rig off the trail if need be. My motto is "overbuilt, is underrated", though. Its my intention to be bullet proof when I hit the trail. My last rig had a D44 rear, with 33 spline alloys, on 33" tires, for this very reason. I will never be "that guy". Just something to think about when you try and lump all of the rich kids together.

wheeling is half the fun. Touching every Nut/bolt/screw/plug/wire/device on the jeep, and knowing almost exactly what the problem is everytime you have a problem is the other half of the fun.

the hobby is not JUST wheeling, its knowing the rig inside and out like a well used Rubix cube. a 2000 peice puzzle you can tear apart and put back together in record time.. and a shop-built-shop-maintained rig will not get you off the trail in an emergency. a mag light and First aid kit will only get you so far. But you gotta have the spare parts and the knowledge on how to replace them in the event of an emergency... Nobody wants to waste more then 10 minutes helping you on the trail..

I agree with your statement -for me. And obviously you and a lot of other people. But for some, that is not half the fun. Half the fun for them may me a million other possibilities. Maybe a guy works like crazy, in another town/state all week. Then on the weekend for some quality time with his family he wants to go wheeling. In this hypothetical case the guy has the experience from the past, and his family really enjoys it. Just when was he supposed to build his rig so they can enjoy the time on the trail?

NAXJA once was a place that people would boast about the great understanding of the XJ/MJ. They had pride in the knowledge they had built up over the years working on his or her Jeep.

Most of the major off road products and upgrades you can buy today for the XJ/MJ are from some of the original members of this board. Products you can buy today to upgrade the XJ/MJ were thought up, fabricated, tested and used by NAXJA members before the design was sold to the larger manufactures.

Members of NAXJA today post up threads on installing La Barren hood vents as advanced fabricating or make threads about how to install a bolt on a lift kit.

Over 57,000 users now, your going to get some weird/stupid/questionable stuff.

Hey guys, just playing Devil's advocate here; not picking a fight.

John

In the past NAXJA was a place to get solid information on how to correctly go about modifying or improving your rig. Now it is about how cheap you can mod your rig with junkyard parts. Demographics have changed for sure.

Maybe I am a bit jealous to not have that kind of disposable income, well maybe not. Truth is that an off-road shop will give you what is cheap and easy to do within the given budget, not a perfectly designed and built rig.

In the past NAXJA was a place to get solid information on how to correctly go about modifying or improving your rig. Now it is about how cheap you can mod your rig with junkyard parts.

I'll Agree with that. I don't mind a few junkyard parts but these Junkyard F-150 coil and bastard pack lifts without any thought of spring rate, shocks, driveline vibes, etc. are driving me nuts. Build it right so You don't have to build it again! I run spacers and a bastard pack right now but that will be changed, I bought the Jeep like that.

I view junkyard hunting as an exercise in engineering - what parts I can find that fit something they were never meant to which will improve performance/durability/reliability without demolishing my wallet.

I personally wouldn't want to go out on the trail without knowing how to fix every part of the vehicle well enough to make it move again. Doesn't matter to me if someone has a checkbook rig or not so long as they have enough mechanical experience and spare parts on hand to handle most common trail failures without a lot of handholding.

"Doesn't matter to me if someone has a checkbook rig or not so long as they have enough mechanical experience and spare parts on hand to handle most common trail failures without a lot of handholding. "

X2

I've added some new goods to the XJ.

4.3 Atlas II 2-speed

Just waiting on the drive shafts to come back from the machine shop and I'll be able to test her out this weekend!!

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

lemme know when you come to CO, id like to run some hard trails with you and see how it/you does/do...

lemme know when you come to CO, id like to run some hard trails with you and see how it/you does/do...

ah....its like that, no worries bud. You'll be the first to kown. As a matter of fact, why don't you let me know when you can make it out to az too, I'm sure I could find some ruff, sorry, " hard" trails to run....don't make to many assumptions. Its just a pic thread....no reason to get bent out of shape buddy...with that aside, i'd like to take you up on that offer, I haven't been up there to wheel yet, I should be heading up there in august. I'll hit you up be for I come and we'll get some good wheelin in.:thumbup:

Back