• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Monster Cherokee

i dig it... do you have a better picture of the rear links? how does it drive not running a swaybar in the rear?

The ride is nice. I run a higher spring rate in the rear ('09 avalanche rear coil springs).

Cherokee_96-9-2.jpg

I really like the Or-Fab quarter protection...is that a new product? Can't seem to find it on their website.

I really like the Or-Fab quarter protection...is that a new product? Can't seem to find it on their website.

I think they are getting ready to release it this month. You should see it on the website by the end of the month. I think that it will be released with & without the rail bar.

Oh and Chris, I sent you a bunch of stickers too. Let me know if you need any more or anything else from us.

-Alex

Looks real good! Don't know why people have to leave the bad comments. I like it.

I agree. Its bigger than I would want but its your rig, your choice. I try to keep mine as pretty as possible but I know the first run to redbird with it and it will have at least one more dent! :cheers: Now we need pics of it in action to prove its not a mall crawler! :D

I agree. Its bigger than I would want but its your rig, your choice. I try to keep mine as pretty as possible but I know the first run to redbird with it and it will have at least one more dent! :cheers: Now we need pics of it in action to prove its not a mall crawler! :D

haha fair enough. you guys will have some after this weekend.

I just finished lowering it with some different springs (about 2") The Avalanche springs were to much. I have some JK rear coils in it now.

We'll see how it does on the trails at big bear.

My comments about it's shortcomings and lack of wheeling/planned wheeling had nothing to do with "mallcrawler" status, but the setup. The largest items it sounds like are in the plans or already addressed. Like the lack of frame stiffeners, gas tank skid, and (IMO) tall ride height you've got covered or in the works. Those just seemed like a pretty large oversight to me for a built rig.

The other stuff is more understandable knowing the free/cheap price tag and your "business association". I probably wouldn't have wanted to pass up on that stuff either! :laugh3: Things like the mounts on the axles, rocker guards, and crossmember I think hang too low, I would have tucked everything up for more clearance. The basket with spare tire raises the COG too much in my opinion. The bumpers aren't the stoutest, I've seen them fail in person. They're a nice design, just not build for hard use.

The biggest problem with your whole rig, you're never going to get to drive it! Now your wife is going to want to take it all the time! :D

My comments about it's shortcomings and lack of wheeling/planned wheeling had nothing to do with "mallcrawler" status, but the setup. The largest items it sounds like are in the plans or already addressed. Like the lack of frame stiffeners, gas tank skid, and (IMO) tall ride height you've got covered or in the works. Those just seemed like a pretty large oversight to me for a built rig.

The other stuff is more understandable knowing the free/cheap price tag and your "business association". I probably wouldn't have wanted to pass up on that stuff either! :laugh3: Things like the mounts on the axles, rocker guards, and crossmember I think hang too low, I would have tucked everything up for more clearance. The basket with spare tire raises the COG too much in my opinion. The bumpers aren't the stoutest, I've seen them fail in person. They're a nice design, just not build for hard use.

The biggest problem with your whole rig, you're never going to get to drive it! Now your wife is going to want to take it all the time! :D

If you don't drive like an idiot you can get by without a gas tank skid. Hell, my old rig was on 235's and I never needed a gas tank skid. Of course its ideal and I have one lined up for the new rig but it can be pulled off if you use common sense.

Haha....I couldn't help but laugh when I readed nhrocker post. I'm sorry your not happy with the way I built my rig. But that's ok, Your still welcome to come out and wheel with the Az crew any time. You've got a lot to learn about wheelin if you think you need stiffeners and gas tank skid..

Last edited:
All that $$ on Dynatrac axles and no knuckle rotation to address pinion angle...... :dunno:

Kind of dig the nerf tube on the rear qrt guards.

Haha....I couldn't help but laugh when I readed nhrocker post. I'm sorry your not happy with the way I built my rig. But that's ok, Your still welcome to come out and wheel with the Az crew any time. You've got a lot to learn about wheelin if you think you need stiffeners and gas tank skid..

This is not meant to come off as me trying to initiate an argument :cheers:

He's simply giving you some constructive criticism, but we also don't wheel where you are from. If that setup gets you by then great, but it just doesn't seem like the type of setup we'd aim for on a rig on 37s that does anything more than moderate trails.

Stiffeners are a necessary item if you want your rig to last, but aren't necessary to go wheelin.

Hey, as long as I got a laugh it's a good day! :laugh3:

MoparManiac hit it spot on. You had asked what people thought in your first post. Maybe I read that wrong, but isn't that asking for feedback? I was just trying to give some constructive criticism. Heck, I ask for feedback from friends all the time when working on projects. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes catches something I didn't think of.

And yes, wheeling is different in different areas. I've only been wheeling in AZ once, and that was in the back seat of a Jeep tour about 16 years ago, so not the best comparison. For the wheeling we do around here, some of the items I mentioned might be a little more critical than they are out there.

And I realize that a gas tank skid and sliders aren't needed. I wheeled my rig for years with neither. Eventually it got to the point that they were needed. Seeing the axles, gear choice, suspension setup, tire size, etc. that you have led me to believe they would be needed for your use as well. Apparently you think you do too, seeing that you've already mentioned a set of stiffeners waiting to go on, and talk of a skid down the road. Seems you had the same thought on the ride height since you'd already adjusted that before I even posted from the sounds of it.

I'd love to take you up on the offer to wheel with you guys someday. Every pic, video, or description I've seen of wheeling in your neck of the woods has made me want to pack up and drive out there myself. Sadly that's a bit out of reach for now. If/when I do, first round is on me!
:cheers:

Back