• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

Frank, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of mileage are you seeing with your setup? Tahoes with the 5.3 are supposed to see around 20 highway on a good day I am supposing. I imagine your setup with larger tires and gears will be a little thirsty, but what do you think someone with just a 3 inch lift and stock 3.55's would get on say 31's driving sensibly?

Thanks!

Maybe I missed it. What did you end up with for a radiator and how is it working out? Did it go in the stock location? What fans did you end up with?

Honestly...I haven't got a fookin' clue.
it shifts but not when it should and it's bouncing between 3rd and 4th gear.

No error codes (no CEL and no stored codes).

My buddy David and dropped it out and tore it down 3 times in 3 weeks and inspected every stinkin' part in that mutha.

Valve body is fine, pump is pumping, clutch disc's are new, band still has the ink stencil on it, new torque converter......

Starting a new gig tomorrow so I might actually be able to afford a Reman in the next 30-40 months........:rattle:

maybe governor or tv cable? both have to be juuuuuuuust right. also, how good were the sprags? perhaps they rolled over and it isnt catching like it should?
i know my governor is off a bit because my shift points are a bit off. but i have a lot more line pressure than stock so it should be tweaked a bit. just too lazy :)

I have to commend you Frank. I know how tough it is to stay motivated to fix your junk, in addition to running your own business + a day job + keeping the family happy.

I'm not afraid to admit that I get overwhelmed from time to time, but all the hard work does eventually have it's payoff. Sometimes. ;)

I have to commend you Frank. I know how tough it is to stay motivated to fix your junk, in addition to running your own business + a day job + keeping the family happy.

I'm not afraid to admit that I get overwhelmed from time to time, but all the hard work does eventually have it's payoff. Sometimes. ;)
agreed.

He must have some secret to keep the wife happy. I spend more than 3 hrs working on my heep on a day off and the wife is ready for divorce!

Not really, but lets me know if I do spend too much time in the garage.

Back