• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

Marry better?

;)

Have got my 5.3, 4L60E, motor mounts and '01 XJ and am ready to do this! Trying to get a good plan first with wiring diagrams, an exhaust plan etc. I'll start a build thread when there is enough to post.

If the "new" tranny exhibits the same behavior you may need a speedometer signal interface. Despite the similarities between the A340e and AW4, I had to use one to get the shifting to behave properly. How many pulses per revolution do the VSSs put out? How many does the ECU/TCU expect to see?

Ok...so how many pulses per revolution does the VSS put out? How many does the ECU/TCU expect to see?

From the beginning of the thread it looks like you were able to install the GM VSS into the NP231. If that fit, do you already know if the trigger rings (tone rings?) are the same? Worst case scenario you could reinstall the Jeep t-case VSS and use the digital dakota speed signal modifier. All the instrumentation to the Jeep gauges from the Toyota ECU are good with that one device and a few resistors.

Last edited:
Reason I ask is this:

according to someone on the web (for whatever that's worth) the 4L60e reluctor wheel produces 40 pulses per revolution of the out put shaft.

I know the Jeep output shaft VSS is a 4 pulse per revolution sensor. This is different by an obvious factor of 10.

To get where the rubber meets the road, it won't matter if you have the original sensor if it is being triggered incorrectly by the output shaft. I'm looking forward to your results.

If Jeep VSS is 4 pulse and GM VSS from an s-10 is 2 pulse, you should experience early shifting and possibly difficulty staying in OD, since the computer will think you are going twice as fast as you are.

He's got a GM ECU, a GM engine, and a GM transmission all basically from the same donor vehicle ;)

Right, but a transfer case that is GM but not from the same donor vehicle. The transfer case is where the VSS is located that tells the ECU the vehicle speed, no?

No worries Frank. It's a long ass thread and I was only interested in helping with the non-mechanical shifting issues. It was never my intent to upset you. I feel like I was foolishly trying to help.

Best of luck.

I'm not upset at all, just a little frustrated that you're throwing out info without having taken the time to see if your info is relevant. This may be a long thread but it's worth the time to read.

Comedy, drama, heartache.....it's like Forest Gump doing a Conversion.

As I stated earlier....all of the electronics (and that includes ALL OF THE SENSORS) are GM.
PCM, TAC Module, IAC. MAF, VSS.....all GM.

This a mechanical issue, not an electronics issue.

Cool, and I understand...it's just finals for me and I shouldn't even be messing around on the forum...let alone read the whole thread, which is why I didn't. I also just asked because in 42 pages of posts things can change so I was hoping for confirmation instead of having to dig. I understand that all the electronics are from the same auto maker, I was merely trying to point out that the sensors from a Tahoe don't appear to be the same specifications as the sensor from the S-10, and after you said you have pulled out and installed the mechanical transmission 3 times and you continued to have the same issue my heart went out to you. That's all. You are like me, and you have perseverance though, so it will all be right eventually. :)

I am going to quietly lurk from here on out. Hehehe.

Back